Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dyno Run Questions

rfullen280

Reaction score
Hello! I've got access to a 2000 hp dyno. Gonna run the stock, 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins SO on it.

Are they're any systems/features that are gonna give us grief on the dyno? If so, how do I disable?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Traction control will be a big issue the best way to go around it is unplug one of the front abs sensors

rfullen280

Reaction score
Okay, slight delay, the dyno is occupied for another week. However... I'm still pushing forward on it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Interesting. Pull ABS fuse maybe?
Possibly i know some of the other FCA vehicles they tie the fuel pump in to the abs fuse so if you pull the fuse it wont run thats why i said pull an abs wire, we used to make a ESP/TC kill switch for our jeeps newer than 2010 it was the only true way to fully disable T/C…

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Okay, slight delay, the dyno is occupied for another week. However... I'm still pushing forward on it.

Keep us posted! You got any buddies with an HO? Im dying to see what an HO makes to the wheels.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That does not completely disable it though
That is true.

Pressing once disables TCS that limits output power to reduce wheel spin but BLD (Brake Lock Differential) is still active and will also apply braking if there's wheel spin unless you're in 4-LO and press and hold to fully disable. There's no way I'm aware to fully disable in 2-HI unless you jack with the tire size in AlfaOBD and don't do the follow on clears and resets. That will damn sure disable all the traction controls. LOL.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That is true.

Pressing once disables TCS that limits output power to reduce wheel spin but BLD (Brake Lock Differential) is still active and will also apply braking if there's wheel spin unless you're in 4-LO and press and hold to fully disable. There's no way I'm aware to fully disable in 2-HI unless you jack with the tire size in AlfaOBD and don't do the follow on clears and resets. That will damn sure disable all the traction controls. LOL.
Thats why we pull the ABS sensor as it disables the TC system… you used to be able to hold and disable in 2wd but that stopped in 2014

rfullen280

Reaction score
I did notice in alpha OBD under the ABS module there is an emissions test function. I wonder if that works.

I may try it and see what happens doesn't work ABS fuse

rfullen280

Reaction score
Okay! Finally got on the Dyno! So, here's how it went down:

First up, the brand of Dyno used is a Mustangdyne. It is apparently a "load dyno". I have no idea what that means. What it does have is a database that has details about lots of different vehicles... except, apparently 3/4-ton trucks. So, after about 20 minutes of inputting Gear Ratios, vehicle weight, etc... we finally got to run the truck up.

A couple of quirks were evident. I had to "limit" the transmission to 4th gear (which made the math easy, since the 68RFE is a 1.0 ratio in 4th.)

Also, we had no RPM pickup for the Diesel (duh, no coil/distributor), so we did an RPM (of the dyno) calibration to wheel speed, to use wheel speed to tell the machine what RPM the engine was at. So, in 4th gear, brought the truck to 40 MPH, and told the machine what RPM we were... and it was spot on within 1% across all the wheel speeds Awesome!

The reason the "start" of the test was 1600 RPM... any lower, when I'd tip in the throttle, the transmission would downshift to 3rd (which peaked the torque at over 975 foot pounds! because the torque convertor would unlock, and multiply torque (that's how torque convertors work, if ya didn't know)).

The end of the test was 2800 RPM (because the curve was dropping, and we really didn't gain power to redline...).

So, without further ado, a couple pics. Enjoy!

No questions about Run #3... lets just say it was an airflow/efficiency test.

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    631.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5861.jpeg
    IMG_5861.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5863.jpeg
    IMG_5863.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 115

rfullen280

Reaction score
Oh, also, I have the TazerRAM installed... and holding the Traction Control button made all sorts of warning lights come on (Brake/ABS/Traction)... which was cool...because then all those systems got out of the way of my Right Foot!

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Okay! Finally got on the Dyno! So, here's how it went down:

First up, the brand of Dyno used is a Mustangdyne. It is apparently a "load dyno". I have no idea what that means. What it does have is a database that has details about lots of different vehicles... except, apparently 3/4-ton trucks. So, after about 20 minutes of inputting Gear Ratios, vehicle weight, etc... we finally got to run the truck up.

A couple of quirks were evident. I had to "limit" the transmission to 4th gear (which made the math easy, since the 68RFE is a 1.0 ratio in 4th.)

Also, we had no RPM pickup for the Diesel (duh, no coil/distributor), so we did an RPM (of the dyno) calibration to wheel speed, to use wheel speed to tell the machine what RPM the engine was at. So, in 4th gear, brought the truck to 40 MPH, and told the machine what RPM we were... and it was spot on within 1% across all the wheel speeds Awesome!

The reason the "start" of the test was 1600 RPM... any lower, when I'd tip in the throttle, the transmission would downshift to 3rd (which peaked the torque at over 975 foot pounds! because the torque convertor would unlock, and multiply torque (that's how torque convertors work, if ya didn't know)).

The end of the test was 2800 RPM (because the curve was dropping, and we really didn't gain power to redline...).

So, without further ado, a couple pics. Enjoy!

No questions about Run #3... lets just say it was an airflow/efficiency test.

awesome!!! This is on the stock calibration correct?

rfullen280

Reaction score
awesome!!! This is on the stock calibration correct?
Yes! 100% stock, so, the factory ratings of HP/TQ for stock trucks... is very near accurate. Maybe underrated a bit. 370hp/850tq compared to what I got...lemme see....

So about 9% power loss from Crank to Wheel on HP...

And 5% torque loss?

Ya, that's pretty legit.

The thing is, speaking to the operator... losses across the transmission/drivetrain are "proportional" to power input, but only to a certain limit, then they are a non-factor....

Riddick

Reaction score
Did you pick up that much power on run #3 from removing the air filter, truck picked up some serious torque? Thanks for sharing your results with us.

Users who are viewing this thread