Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dust entering cab -- 2021/2500 Crew Cab

Viejo

Reaction score
I just got back from a 2000+ mile trip to northwestern Nevada and did a fair amount of graded gravel roads. There was quite a bit of fine dust in some areas. I noticed about 50 miles into the gravel that there were copious amounts of dust entering the cab. It was the ultra-fine dust due to the fact that it had quite a convoluted path to get into the cab and only the lightweight airborne particles would find their way past the ridged carpeting that is mounted vertically against the back wall of the cab between the seatback and the sheet metal. I stuffed some towels along the bottom edge which was open and that did help but there was still a fair amount getting in. Could it be missing a foam filter or rubber flap? I've had many trucks in the past and never any dust entered the cab. They must have missed installing some sort of component that keeps the dust from entering.

I plan on taking it to the dealer but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I go.

Anyone deal with this. the dust was so thick in some places you could not see the plastic.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
Don't know or can't see which truck you have but my 2021 3500 does not have that issue that I have noticed. I just was on many miles of rough, very dusty gravel roads. I had a tan truck when I got home but no dust inside.

jadmt

Reaction score
I notice driving dusty trails I get dust sucked around the lower vent at the rear doors. Almost like there is negative pressure from the vents. Noticed it after doing the white rim trail in moab.

D9F1D7E7-B263-42CC-8768-D54A3D22582A.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
no just dirty lol. got it right off the truck
Just now seeing the profile pic see you have black paint below the body line…. From the posted picture i though the truck was silver then painted black and they didnt do the door jambs ( see that often on older trucks)

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I've not had that issue. I run between central texas and the rockies often. if that were to happen, it would have reared its head during one of the many west texas dust storms I've been lucky enough to go through.

takopecky

Reaction score
I notice driving dusty trails I get dust sucked around the lower vent at the rear doors. Almost like there is negative pressure from the vents. Noticed it after doing the white rim trail in moab.

View attachment 22514
I noticed the same thing on my mega cab. If you follow this vent to the inside of the cab, there's a hole where a retainer clip goes into to hold down the interior door sill trim piece. This hole goes straight through to this vent. I sealed the inner hole with some silicone and then snapped the trim back in place. It has reduced the amount of dust coming in the cab. Obviously, do both sides!

jadmt

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing on my mega cab. If you follow this vent to the inside of the cab, there's a hole where a retainer clip goes into to hold down the interior door sill trim piece. This hole goes straight through to this vent. I sealed the inner hole with some silicone and then snapped the trim back in place. It has reduced the amount of dust coming in the cab. Obviously, do both sides!
nice and thanks.

Lee Iacocca

Grumpy Old Fart
Reaction score
Do you have the in cabin air filter behind the glove box?
Those holes are for air pressure when you shut the door I think, they usually have a one way flap.

takopecky

Reaction score
The 'check valves' in the back bulkhead are for pressure relief, yes. The holes I mentioned are in the door opening sill. These holes were probably intended to have a sealing grommet.

jadmt

Reaction score
The 'check valves' in the back bulkhead are for pressure relief, yes. The holes I mentioned are in the door opening sill. These holes were probably intended to have a sealing grommet.
Any secret to popping the vent covers off? Don’t want to break a clip if i can help it. Thanks

takopecky

Reaction score
Don't pop the vent covers off, seal the hole inside the cab directly across from the covers.

jadmt

Reaction score
Don't pop the vent covers off, seal the hole inside the cab directly across from the covers.
not sure what hole you are talking about. I don't see a hole on mine. photo if possible thanks.

Will_T

Reaction score
not sure what hole you are talking about. I don't see a hole on mine. photo if possible thanks.

No hole on mine either I don't think. (If I am looking at the right location.) Maybe that is why dust does not seem to get into my cab?

Viejo

Reaction score
well, the dust entering my cab (not a mega cab) is definitely coming through the back wall. There is no doubt about that. I attached some photos below. Sorry about the quality and slow response, I have several high-priority moving targets which are work-related that need my attention. Having said that this dust is aggravating my asthma/

The description of the vehicle is in the title but Ill also add it here.

2021 - 2500 standard crew cab

Below each photo, I've added a description -- let me know if you have any questions

i-zvccLDb-M.jpg

View towards the back wall of the cab. Dust is entering the cab from behind that carpeted wall covering.

i-VCBzCRD-M.jpg

I used whatever I could find to cover up the opening. In this case, it was a sweater, and as you can see it did do its job by trapping a fair amount of dust.

i-h3wC4dJ-M.jpg

The opening runs the length of the wall. another sweater - again this is under the rear seat.

i-tkNsqxM-M.jpg

Lots-o-dust

i-twR9rss-M.jpg

More dust

i-26MDvbz-M.jpg

Here is a vent that is mounted to the back wall where I suspect that the dust is entering. It's difficult to see since there is water on top but that is a view between the cab and the bed looking down towards the ground.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
There's a decent view of that vent in this video describing the rear seat mod.

Sounds like it would be worth the time to at least fold down the rear seat and investigate.

Viejo

Reaction score
There's a decent view of that vent in this video describing the rear seat mod.

Sounds like it would be worth the time to at least fold down the rear seat and investigate.
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I am going to take it to the dealer but I may instal a foam section of 2 in think and 12 in by 12 in and cover each one of those vents just for good measure. I am going to see what the dealer has to say and have them explain to me what their solution is. obviously, this is not normal and if they rectify it then like most others I should have no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread