Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dually NOT for business?

WXman

Reaction score
Anybody here buy a dually just because you wanted it? Most guys who buy the dually option are working with them, or farming around here. But I was wondering if any of you bought one just for your daily truck? Is the dual rear wheel option as big of a headache as people say?

There are a lot of 3500s for sale around here, but they're all dually. Finding a single rear wheel 3500 is like finding a needle in a haystack, and ordering one means waiting for an unknown amount of time.

Edit: my 8.5x24 enclosed trailer goes about 8,000 lbs. max when loaded so it's not the weight that is an issue, it's the stability on windy days. I'm looking at maybe going on up to a HD pickup.

boatdude1

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 3500 dually because I wanted it. The only issues I saw were most drive thrus were impossible. You had to park away from most businesses. Towed like a dream. I washed it myself so car washes were not an issue.
I just sold it because of the CP4 issue and bought a 2021 3500 SRW.

bfs673

Reaction score
I considered a dually when purchasing my '21. I have a relatively heavy 5vr that would definitely benefit from a DRW truck. I landed on the SRW as my previous 3500 was a SRW and performed well, even in high winds.
I would've like to go with a 2500, but the payload was no where near comfortable for me; I would've been over weight by too much.

I chose not to go with a DRW due to the lower MPG (likely not much), additional 2 tires to buy each cycle, limited drive-though ability in some areas, and winter driving.
You get used to whatever you drive, so the above would've been overcome quickly with paying just a bit more attention.

In the end, for your application, a 2500 would work as well.
Otherwise, order your dream SRW 3500, wait patiently, and enjoy the ride when she comes in :cool:

WXman

Reaction score
Yeah the issue is that all of the 2500 Cummins trucks I've looked at only have about 300-400 lb bump in payload over my current truck. If I'm going up to the HD trucks, I'm getting more payload than that to "future proof" it.

Interesting points in these comments. Thanks.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I dont own a business but i have a dually

bfs673

Reaction score
Yeah the issue is that all of the 2500 Cummins trucks I've looked at only have about 300-400 lb bump in payload over my current truck. If I'm going up to the HD trucks, I'm getting more payload than that to "future proof" it.

Interesting points in these comments. Thanks.

Smart thinking!!!

I did the 1500 to a 2500 upgrade. Was a HUGE upgrade in towing performance; a different world really, but then I begin investigating pin weights for 5th wheels we were looking at. Took a bath on a 1 year old 2500!!!

CdnHO

Reaction score
I just bought my second dually. But I tow a large fiver. I have a nice car sitting in the garage but I would rather drive my truck, even when not towing. I park away from morons with car doors anyway and I never go thru a drive thru.

Users who are viewing this thread