Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"dual" exhaust

jeffawats

Reaction score
One thing I loved about my 1500 Ram was the factory duals out the back.Been looking around for a month and seems like the only dual system out the back is Flowmaster.All the exhaust shops I have found can't bend anything over 3".Was thinking about 3 1/2 inlet dual 3 outlet that way my local guy could bend ,my only worry being would this setup restrict the engine? Opinions and thoughts welcome

jetrinka

Reaction score
A 3.5" inlet muffler with dual 3" outlets shouldn't restrict anything.

Darkside

Reaction score
One thing I loved about my 1500 Ram was the factory duals out the back.Been looking around for a month and seems like the only dual system out the back is Flowmaster.All the exhaust shops I have found can't bend anything over 3".Was thinking about 3 1/2 inlet dual 3 outlet that way my local guy could bend ,my only worry being would this setup restrict the engine? Opinions and thoughts welcome
Personally I am glad my 2500 doesn’t have dual exhaust, it looked cool on my 1500, but was a problem when I actually used the truck… Any time you are hooking up to a trailer and leave your truck running you get face fulls of hot exhaust, also great for attracting mosquitoes (not fun). I did have dual exhaust on my 99 2500, but I had it exit out each side at a 45 behind the rear wheels, that one wasn’t too bad.

jeffawats

Reaction score
Used my 1500 all the time to tow my YXZ never bothered by the exhaust,guess I'm just used to it since most of my vehicles over the years I put "duals" on

SoldierOfTheLaw

Reaction score
MBRP lists two different dual side exit exhausts for the HD trucks. Aluminized and Stainless. Says they are a 4" exhaust but not sure if that carries into the tail pipes or not.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I personally like the look of Magnaflows dual outlet system. It’s not a “dual” setup. Just dual tips on one side but there’s a serious part of me that loves it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
personally i would advise3” in 2-1/2 out of the muffler when you go to big you loose tone and it does not sound as nice…. You wont cause any restriction and it is more likely to have a better output balance with the 2-1/2 out

jetrinka

Reaction score
personally i would advise3” in 2-1/2 out of the muffler when you go to big you loose tone and it does not sound as nice…. You wont cause any restriction and it is more likely to have a better output balance with the 2-1/2 out
You are likely correct about the output balance. Good point.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are likely correct about the output balance. Good point.
I have built a lot of exhausts when working as a mechanic i am also an MBRP dealer… there have been many exhausts i built as the customer requested and they didn't like the sound like i told them they would not and remade it with smaller tailpipes

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have built a lot of exhausts when working as a mechanic i am also an MBRP dealer… there have been many exhausts i built as the customer requested and they didn't like the sound like i told them they would not and remade it with smaller tailpipes
So as a rule of thumb, if someone wants a dual exhaust where it comes with single exhaust from the factory, do you suggest always downsizing the dual pipes 1" from the factory size? Assuming the OP has the Hemi with the 3.5" stock size.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So as a rule of thumb, if someone wants a dual exhaust where it comes with single exhaust from the factory, do you suggest always downsizing the dual pipes 1" from the factory size? Assuming the OP has the Hemi with the 3.5" stock size.
No its just a rule of thumb for gasser duals you don't really want to go more than 2-1/2 for sound but with the stock being 3-1/2” 3” may be fine i thought the hemis still ran 3” pipes

jetrinka

Reaction score
No its just a rule of thumb for gasser duals you don't really want to go more than 2-1/2 for sound but with the stock being 3-1/2” 3” may be fine i thought the hemis still ran 3” pipes
My 21 has 3.5. Dunno when they may have switched though.

jeffawats

Reaction score
the only reason I thought 3 1/2 in would be hookup to stock pipe

jeffawats

Reaction score
6.4 Hemi in my truck

jetrinka

Reaction score
the only reason I thought 3 1/2 in would be hookup to stock pipe
I think H3LZSN1P3R was under the impression that the stock pipe was 3" so yes the inlet should be 3.5" and he suggests dual 2.5" outlets

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I personally like the look of Magnaflows dual outlet system. It’s not a “dual” setup. Just dual tips on one side but there’s a serious part of me that loves it.

That looks really dang nice. Not sure how it sounds but it sure looks nice.

Edit: I looked up videos on YouTube and I don’t like how the tips stick out way back under the bumper. Should be right behind the tire (unless the people are installing them wrong)

Looks stupid as crap
93E350EF-99E0-4663-A6B5-64424238B215.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread