Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual exhaust???

Vroooom

Reaction score
Very quick disclaimer:
I am not some sort of
catalog-queen/Drugstore-cowboy Who thinks I am smarter than a building full of engineers with decades of experience, or who feels the need to demonstrate how fat my wallet is with how much bling I can strap on to my truck.

I am all about people doing whatever they want to their ride. Personalize the crap out of it. Make it your own. So this question isn’t about doing something just to do something, it’s a genuine question about performance.

I had a 1500 with a 5.7 which had duel exhaust. Supposedly duel exhaust reduces Back pressure, allows for better free flow, and thus improve performance and efficiency.

I was curious if anyone has any insight as to why the heavy duty’s, which supposedly work harder than “Street trucks “, Don’t have dual exhaust for their 6.4 engines.

Again, it would seem to be a no-brainer. Which means that Surely the engineers have already considered it and dismissed it. I was just curious if anybody could imagine why.

Happy trails everybody. Be safe out there.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
My guess would be a combination of cost and available space to run two mufflers, two resonators and have tubing running back along both sides. But I'm a software engineer, so my guess is purely analytical.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Was your 1500 truly dual exhaust? I think/thought they came together as one pipe and muffler then just split as 2 separate tail pipes. Pretty much just for looks really.

A true dual system would be very expensive from the factory since you are looking at dual cats, dual mufflers, resonators etc. Obviously the engineers weighed the cost vs performance gain aspect and the cost won out.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Was your 1500 truly dual exhaust? I think/thought they came together as one pipe and muffler then just split as 2 separate tail pipes. Pretty much just for looks really.

A true dual system would be very expensive from the factory since you are looking at dual cats, dual mufflers, resonators etc. Obviously the engineers weighed the cost vs performance gain aspect and the cost won out.
I honestly don’t know. It could easily have been purely cosmetic. (Shrug)

Darkside

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know. It could easily have been purely cosmetic. (Shrug)
The 2500/3500 with the 6.4 doesn’t need dual exhaust, there is no performance gain, due to the size of the exhaust. Personally I hated my 1500 dual exhaust, every time I was hooking up any of my trailers I got face fulls of hot exhaust...

Users who are viewing this thread