Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual battery for 3500

Dogeram

Reaction score
Has anyone installed, have seen installed or seen a kit for a dual batt set up for a gas 3500?

I've got a '19 6.4 3500 that I have to add a second battery too. It will be for bed lights, fog lights, under body lights, ham and a fridge/freezer. The main battery will be for starting and to provide power to a slide in camper while loading it and during travel.

I'm going to grab a picture in the morning of the factory battery as it's got some odd posts I've never encountered on a stock battery setup before. Maybe for an accessory, not sure. This truck does not have the auxiliary switches panel so I know it's nothing for that.

Thanks.

Noseimaj

Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up, I was thinking of taking this on this winter. My worries are:
1. if I used the stock 2nd battery location for the diesel, how do i relocate the hemi engine ecu (i think its the ecu anyway) that’s there now.
2. Do i run the batteries in parallel, or use an isolator like the national luna or redarc units.
3. Will this be like a gateway drug that just gets me hooked buying on more accessories?

Omar RVA

Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up, I was thinking of taking this on this winter. My worries are:
1. if I used the stock 2nd battery location for the diesel, how do i relocate the hemi engine ecu (i think its the ecu anyway) that’s there now.
2. Do i run the batteries in parallel, or use an isolator like the national luna or redarc units.
3. Will this be like a gateway drug that just gets me hooked buying on more accessories?

Curious to see the outcome on this as I'm interested myself. I can't speak to number 1 yet either...

2. I would absolutely use an isolator to keep things better protected and allow you more control. Redarc is relatively new to the dual 12v scene but I believe their controller gives you more options regarding differing battery types. Less "smart" controllers like IBS and national luna require you to have the exact same batteries (and age if possible) wired up. If the aux battery location doesn't allow for a 94R/H7 the system won't be happy.
3. Yes - may as well start shopping an spod or the like.

OA

carlrx7

Reaction score
Use an isolator if you dont need the extra cca's to start. Setup your extra (house) battery with all your aux equip, then have an ACR (auto connect relay) tie in the house battery when the engine is running to charge. Mount the battery where ever you want, recommend inside a toolbox.

Marshfly

Reaction score
An isolator will not charge your batter fully since new tucks have a "smart" alternator and will not put our enough voltage. You need a Dc-DC charger like a Redarc or similar. That said, I installed a Group 34 AGm on the framerail of my 2014 for the exact same uses and it worked well. There are plenty of spots to install one. I made a tray with lengths of angle iron above and below the frame rails and length of all thread from lowes to tie them together. Easy to fab and install.

Noseimaj

Reaction score
Thanks MarshFly! that's good input. Since we do a lot of camping off grid, I'd like to keep it up high and out of the water and mud that may splash up, also the ease of access in the engine compartment is a nice plus.

One of the dumb ideas I've been toying with is to use a 50AH battle born or similar lithium ion battery since the Redarc DC-DC charge controllers can be setup to work with these. It's a bit more money, but relatively light and compact compared to an AGM. I'm thinking of using a controller similar to this one: https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Charger/Redarc/331-BCDC1240D.html. probably don't need the 40 amp version, but still researching what makes the most sense.

EricS

Reaction score
I know this is a old post, but thought I'd pass along a couple of things;

1. Check out Jeep Wrangler Forums. Several discussions going back several years on kits and hardware to safely add & maintain a 2nd battery setup.
2. In general, Lithiums don't like extreme heat, or extreme cold. So check the spec's on a Lithium battery you're contemplating, and take note of the operational temperature range. If the area you live in consistently exceeds the temperature that the battery is rated for, you might want to seek out alternatives.

EricS

Reaction score
Also;
3. Does your current alternator & charging setup produce enough voltage? Some batteries require 14.5 volts to charge properly.

Users who are viewing this thread