Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Alternators

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience adding a second alternator is a 2022 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins? I see a bunch of stuff for 2020's and below but nothing for a 22'. I know dual comes as an option but mine only came with one and i would like to add another.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience adding a second alternator is a 2022 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins? I see a bunch of stuff for 2020's and below but nothing for a 22'. I know dual comes as an option but mine only came with one and i would like to add another.
It is the same process as the 19-20 install i believe but @Jimmy07 should be able to confirm

223500DRW

Reaction score
not sure it's worth it I paid like 300.00 to add it when I special ordered the truck. you will be in it for way more than that by the time you bought everything. maybe find a wrecked truck that's being sold for parts and try and get everything u need from that but i think your better off just leaving it be. modifications become expensive very quick

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
not sure it's worth it I paid like 300.00 to add it when I special ordered the truck. you will be in it for way more than that by the time you bought everything. maybe find a wrecked truck that's being sold for parts and try and get everything u need from that but i think your better off just leaving it be. modifications become expensive very quick
yeah i think it will cost around 600 bucks for the 220AMP aux alternator on carid, not to worried about that, i was just wondering about the actual install and brackets. i reach out to Brandon from mechman to see about getting one of the dual high output alternators but he said they dont make the bracket for the 22's but he could supply me with a single 370amp one to replace my OEM. i am gonna take my truck from Alaska to Argentina starting in the spring on an overlanding trip and i wanted to add another alternator to run the winch if i have to not to mention charge all my batterys including lithium in the back running all my electronics and such. i'll wait for @Jimmy07 to chime in, he's pretty knowledgable about this sort of stuff. Thanks

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
cost is not bad and for overlanding its worth every penny when running a winch or other high draw accessories like a large inverter. Im very glad i have it in my 19 it was a 350$ option according to my window sticker.

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
cost is not bad and for overlanding its worth every penny when running a winch or other high draw accessories like a large inverter. Im very glad i have it in my 19 it was a 350$ option according to my window sticker.
Yeah, I’m trying to find complete part list like the bracket for the second one. Want to make sure I get everything right. I wish I would have got a 21’ RAM instead. I upgraded to a titan 52gal , midship tank but I also wanted a 30gal aux tank in the spare wheel well but in 22’ RAM change the cross bracket on the titan 30gal aux spare wheel tank won’t fit but it does in the 19-21’. But I got my truck from AEV and it’s a Prospector XL and I didn’t know about the differences from the 21 to the 22 at the time, which is why with all Mods like the dual alt, I want to make sure I get all the correct part numbers. this truck is still a hell of a lot better than my last truck which was a 18’ Denali 1500

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Very glad I ordered it on my ‘22. I thought about adding it to my ‘18, but decided on the ‘22 instead.

There is a slight difference in drive ratio, so be sure you get the correct pulley on the one you buy.

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
Very glad I ordered it on my ‘22. I thought about adding it to my ‘18, but decided on the ‘22 instead.

There is a slight difference in drive ratio, so be sure you get the correct pulley on the one you buy.
Thank AH64ID, I’m trying to find the part number for the correct pulley as well. Btw, i was a CH47 guy!

OVERLAND MIKE

Reaction score
Very nice!!

I started in 64’s, worked into 60’s, and should be C-12 soon. Fly Army.
I started on 60’s in the 90’s was a 67T and then went 154E and flew 47’s. Good days, now stuck flying fixed wing King Air 350’s

4x4ready

Reaction score

I'd also be curious if any existing power cables need to upgraded (gauge/size) to support the additional current. Hopefully not and it's just simply adding the harness for the extra alternator into the existing terminals. I'm assuming it depends on if your current single Alternator is a 180 amp or 220 amp.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
I can't help with the technical side, but it sounds like a fun adventure.

Are you going to be able to find proper quality (ULSD) fuel on that entire route? I know people frequently have issues with modern diesels in "third world" countries, ranging from DPF and EGR issues, lack of DEF availability, and water and/or gasoline contamination of the fuel.

mattjackson86

Reaction score
The hardest part of adding the 2nd alternator (aka generator) looks to be the need for upgrading the Crankshaft Damper/Pulley. Looked into it on my '22 Hemi and it needs the new crankshaft damper to accept the new belt that drives the 2nd alternator. The rest of the install seems easy enough: bracket, bolts, etc.

See how the pulley/damper has room for 2 belts in the image attached

Attachments

• e50c137b-792c-42bc-a9af-0cf387094706_en_US_1624665204991.jpg
    e50c137b-792c-42bc-a9af-0cf387094706_en_US_1624665204991.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The hardest part of adding the 2nd alternator (aka generator) looks to be the need for upgrading the Crankshaft Damper/Pulley. Looked into it on my '22 Hemi and it needs the new crankshaft damper to accept the new belt that drives the 2nd alternator. The rest of the install seems easy enough: bracket, bolts, etc.

See how the pulley/damper has room for 2 belts in the image attached

They are alternators, not generators.

Interesting on the 2nd belt. The Cummins just uses a longer belt.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Mopar refer to them as generators in their service manual, hence the use of the term for clarity
View attachment 65264

The service manuals have done that for years, but when you read the description they describe an alternator not a generator.

A generator would generate the DC voltage, not the rectified AC voltage that the alternators create.

Last edited:

mattjackson86

Reaction score
Not trying to start or continue a thing. Just using terms found in the manual so when others research this project they may be able to find things easier.

Users who are viewing this thread