Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRW Owners with 17” Stock Rims

LamboTexas

Reaction score
Looking into upgrading to a more AT tire. Those of you that have DRW’s with 17” Rims, if you changed tires, what’d you go with and why? And did you go bigger?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
On my previous dually truck I ran LT265/70R17 E Nitto Terra Grappler, and I was very pleased. I had about .25 inch space between the dual tires when bulged at the bottom when loaded. This tire was wider and just slightly shorter then the original 235-80-17 tires and very quiet for the life if the tread. This tire gave me better off road traction and I had no problems with the on road traction either down here in the South.

On my new 2020 Ram dually I plan on running LT255/80R17 E Nitto Ridge Grappler which should give me about a 2 inch taller and 1 inch wider tire than the original 235-80--17 tires. The original tires just look to small to me for the size of the wheel opening and truck for some reason. If I calculations are correct, this size tire should leave me with about a .75 in spacing between the dual rear wheels when loaded. I hope this tire performs like the ones I use to have.

I am running 35x12.50R17LT E Nitto Exo Grappler on my Call Of Duty Jeep JKU and love them, however now that they are worn about half way down I am starting to get some road noise out of this tire. I would go with this tire but they don't offer it in the LT255/80R17 E size I want.

I wish you luck. Just remember this is just my opinion and what ever you go with has to make you happy.

LamboTexas

Reaction score
On my previous dually truck I ran LT265/70R17 E Nitto Terra Grappler, and I was very pleased. I had about .25 inch space between the dual tires when bulged at the bottom when loaded. This tire was wider and just slightly shorter then the original 235-80-17 tires and very quiet for the life if the tread. This tire gave me better off road traction and I had no problems with the on road traction either down here in the South.

On my new 2020 Ram dually I plan on running LT255/80R17 E Nitto Ridge Grappler which should give me about a 2 inch taller and 1 inch wider tire than the original 235-80--17 tires. The original tires just look to small to me for the size of the wheel opening and truck for some reason. If I calculations are correct, this size tire should leave me with about a .75 in spacing between the dual rear wheels when loaded. I hope this tire performs like the ones I use to have.

I am running 35x12.50R17LT E Nitto Exo Grappler on my Call Of Duty Jeep JKU and love them, however now that they are worn about half way down I am starting to get some road noise out of this tire. I would go with this tire but they don't offer it in the LT255/80R17 E size I want.

I wish you luck. Just remember this is just my opinion and what ever you go with has to make you happy.
Your response was exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for taking the time and effort to write this up. It helps tremendously! Please let me know how the Nitto’s work. Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 80

I generally default to Toyos or Nittos. I ran EXO Grapplers on my 2500, and really liked them. I put EXOs on my '19 dually in stock size, and they don't work as well on the dually. I am getting scalloping/odd wear on the fronts, and the truck tends to wander. Alignment has been checked. I may try Terra Grapplers, or Toyo AT3s next time around.

jeffn

Reaction score

did you emd up going with this setup? I am really curious to hear about your experiences with the tire but also the effect on gearing at highway speeds. I would not mind dropping my RPMs a bit on the highway and slightly larger tires should do that.

Users who are viewing this thread