Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop length

towingnp

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ll soon be getting a new Ram 2500 Limited, without air suspension. I’ll be towing my existing Airstream (500# TW) with it using my Husky Centerline. However, I’ll require a new shank given the Ram’s receiver is higher than on my current TV. What drop length should I go with. Here are the numbers I’m working with:

-Hitch receiver height (based on what I gather, correct me if I’m wrong): 24’’

-Airstream coupler height: 19’’

-Husky hitch head height from lowest bolt to top of ball: 9’’

-Buffer for squat: 2’’

With all of that in mind, would a 11’’ hitch drop length work?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

xplor5512

Reaction score
I just traded up from a 1500 Limited to a 2500 Limited. I was in the same situation trying to determine what drop I would need for my E2 Roundbar WDH. After a lot of searching and phone calls, I was told to use this site to determine what amount of drop your need: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-shank-size

My new limited hitch height was approximately 4.5" inches higher than the 1500. I ended up purchasing a new shank with a 6" drop, per equalizer's site. Ordered from etrailer.com because they were having a huge sale and free shipping.

towingnp

Reaction score
I just traded up from a 1500 Limited to a 2500 Limited. I was in the same situation trying to determine what drop I would need for my E2 Roundbar WDH. After a lot of searching and phone calls, I was told to use this site to determine what amount of drop your need: https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-shank-size

My new limited hitch height was approximately 4.5" inches higher than the 1500. I ended up purchasing a new shank with a 6" drop, per equalizer's site. Ordered from etrailer.com because they were having a huge sale and free shipping.
Thanks. Helpful. From the ground to the top of the receiver, is your hitch height 24’’? And you don’t have air suspension?

xplor5512

Reaction score
Thanks. Helpful. From the ground to the top of the receiver, is your hitch height 24’’? And you don’t have air suspension?
Correct. 24" hitch height (inside top of hitch), and no air suspension. My 1500 hitch height was about 19.5"

2500ltd

Reaction score
Correct. 24" hitch height (inside top of hitch), and no air suspension. My 1500 hitch height was about 19.5"
Great. Thanks. That's helpful. Last question. What's your trailer's coupler height? Trying to determine if 9" will work for me. The AS sits low to the ground.

xplor5512

Reaction score
My trailer's coupler height is 23". My original shank was a 2.5" drop, so I followed the recommendations from Equalizer and Fastway and purchased the 6" drop shank. I'll be testing it out next weekend when I hook up to our trailer for the first time with the new rig.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Interesting. The Equalizer tool is telling me to go with the 9" drop shank versus your 6". Our couplers have 4" of difference. Seems to align somewhat.

xplor5512

Reaction score
Seems reasonable that you'd be recommended a 9" drop because your trailer coupler is lower in height. It's just a helpful tool, but it may vary some for different hitches and WDHs.

2500ltd

Reaction score
Yes. I have the Husky WD system and the head assembly is quite tall. I also just remeasured the ball height from the base of the head assembly and it's 4". If I put that in the tool, it's now telling me a 12" drop shank!

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I think you'd be sparking all over the place with a 12" drop shank.

I have a 12" that I used on my 4th gen which had a 4" lift in the rear and 37s. I mounted it up on my 2020 which only has a 1" lift in the rear + 37s and it hangs way too low for me to even dream of using it, so I now have an 8" on the way.

2500ltd

Reaction score
I think you'd be sparking all over the place with a 12" drop shank.

LOL

Wouldn't want that.

Got an 8" on order as well, the Curt model for 2.5" receivers. We'll see if that works. If not, I'll try the 9" model from Equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread