Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop hitch size

sacarmic

Reaction score
So I need to get a new hitch for my 19 2500. All my other trucks have had a 2”. Because of the height I need to get a adjustable drop hitch. Just curious what other people are using as far as how much drop. Because of their cost I want to get the right one. Look like maybe an 8” or 10”? Looks the dual ball are nice but add extra overall drop to the hitch

thanks!

woody284

Reaction score
Are you planning to use the adapter sleeve to reduce it to a 2 inch receiver? I found mine under the rear seat. Dealer didn’t mention it, I’m not trying to insult. You may be able to use your old hitches. I’ve looked at the b&w 7 inch drop with dual ball. I do not think I would want anything more than that. It also depends on your personal trailer heights and how much tongue weight you will carry. Ie more weight will sag the truck more leaning towards not needing as much drop to level the trailer out.

CurtJ

Reaction score
I use the adapter sleeve and a 4” drop hitch to pull a buddy’s 8.5x16 Pace enclosed trailer has around 400-450# of tongue weight with both Harley’s in it. Sets pretty level. Wish I had a pic.......:-(

bearcat

Reaction score
I bought this hitch last year its a nice hitch.Dont really care about the built in scale like the build and the 2in and 2 5/16 ball ..Built in the USA Weigh Safe WS8-2, 8" Drop Hitch w/ 2" Shank/Shaft, Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch & Ball Mount w/ Built-in Scale, 2 Stainless Steel Balls (2" & 2-5/16") and a Double-pin Key Lock

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
More thoughts...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There's always this but they're stupid expensive.

They're stow and go so you can rotate the head forward and up out of the way when not towing.

My biggest complaint would be that they don't put the 2" ball on the 90* to the others so using a 2" ball has the 2-5/16 ball hanging down.

71PYZ5EtwmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Lary0071

Reaction score
Level the frame of your trailer, measure to the top of the ball cup on the trailer. Now you want the top of the ball on your truck to be 1 to 1.5" higher than that.
This should allow you to place the trailer on the truck, have around an inch of rear squat and still have a level trailer frame.

That is how you determine the amount of ball mount drop/rise you will need. Different trailers likely have different heights, so you may need to adjust between trailers.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
There's always this but they're stupid expensive.

They're stow and go so you can rotate the head forward and up out of the way when not towing.

My biggest complaint would be that they don't put the 2" ball on the 90* to the others so using a 2" ball has the 2-5/16 ball hanging down.

71PYZ5EtwmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I use the B&W setup with the 7 " drop. So far I haven't towed anything really heavy with it, but I like the setup. I like the feature of tucking it away when I am not using it. I was a little hesitant due to the price, but I think over the lifetime of the truck, I'll be happy with it.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I have the weigh safe 10”, but rarely use the full drop. Only time full drop is useful is for short tired trailers/tow dollies. 8” would have worked. I love being able to turn the shin knocker around.

sacarmic

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I will look at one with an 8" drop. Looking at this one right now, but will also take a look at some of the others you mentioned

HORam

Reaction score
I use the B&W setup with the 7 " drop. So far I haven't towed anything really heavy with it, but I like the setup. I like the feature of tucking it away when I am not using it. I was a little hesitant due to the price, but I think over the lifetime of the truck, I'll be happy with it.
I have the B&W with the 5 in drop. Wish I would've bought the 7. With that said I havent had any problems with leveling campers or trailers. Great product from an excellent American Co.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Did you get the 3 ball or 2 ball version?

Sawboss3

Reaction score
Did you get the 3 ball or 2 ball version?
I did get the 3 ball version. I haven't towed my camper with it yet, which would use the 2-5/16 ball - but I won't be able to use my weight distributing hitch with that... But I have a small utility trailer that is a 2" and a small boat trailer that is 1-7/8" so I like the versatility.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did get the 3 ball version. I haven't towed my camper with it yet, which would use the 2-5/16 ball - but I won't be able to use my weight distributing hitch with that... But I have a small utility trailer that is a 2" and a small boat trailer that is 1-7/8" so I like the versatility.

I typically only need to tow my boat, but have on a few occasions used a car hauler to help someone out and have to change out my ball to the 2-5/16. I don't even have a small ball (for the truck). I have a monster solid bar stock drop hitch, but it's still only a 2" max rating. Just like buying a gooseneck bed ball, I'll probably never ever use it, but I can't run around not having one handy if needed.

Sawboss3

Reaction score
I typically only need to tow my boat, but have on a few occasions used a car hauler to help someone out and have to change out my ball to the 2-5/16. I don't even have a small ball (for the truck). I have a monster solid bar stock drop hitch, but it's still only a 2" max rating. Just like buying a gooseneck bed ball, I'll probably never ever use it, but I can't run around not having one handy if needed.
It's funny, I bought it in a hurry because I was going to need to haul a rented car trailer, and wanted to make sure I was fully prepared. (back in January) But now I'm not doing that until May likely. Anyway, I know what you mean about being prepared, even if you probably won't use it, I do the same thing.

RB18C

Reaction score
I have a 8” bulletproof hitch. It’s really really nice.

BillnLA

Reaction score
I have an adjustable 6" drop hitch. Couple weeks ago used my 16' utility trailer with it and had it dropped all it would go. Front wheels of the trailer were just barely off the ground until I got it loaded. With bundle of 20 crossties, over 4K lbs., on the trailer it was level and truck was squatting several inches. So will be looking for at least an 8" drop soon.

Users who are viewing this thread