Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop hitch and factory auto level

mountainears

Reaction score
Let me know if I’m not thinking correctly :)

In this forum and on hitch websites when you ask about which drop to get for a 3500 4x4 I seem to recall recommendations of 6-8” drops.

I have factory auto level and I have a 7” drop. Seems like no batter where I place the ball things look good, thinking the air level is compensating. With that in mind it seems like a 4-5” drop is plenty good.

Am I missing something where there would still be a need for more drop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

In this forum and on hitch websites when you ask about which drop to get for a 3500 4x4 I seem to recall recommendations of 6-8” drops.

I have factory auto level and I have a 7” drop. Seems like no batter where I place the ball things look good, thinking the air level is compensating. With that in mind it seems like a 4-5” drop is plenty good.

Depends on the trailer some are lower than others….

jebruns

Reaction score
It is auto compensating of course. That's the point of the system. But if your trailers are level with a 7" drop and you change to a 4-5", the trailers will be front high. The adjustment the truck makes is based on weight.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

As mentioned it depends on the trailer. I have a B&W 7” drop tow and stow that I’ve used at full drop, at full rise, and nearly everywhere in between.

At stock height you’ll find you shouldn’t need much more than a 7” drop thou, unless the trailer is really low.

mountainears

Reaction score
Thanks. Seems like both my trailers Don need that much drop then despite what I thought i previously measured. Think I’ll switch from my bulletproof to a tow and stow 5”.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The 7” fits under the rear seat, personally I’d get it incase you tow something different.

Your truck will lower ~1.5” at the trailer hitch in ALT ride height too.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Trailers come all different hights but the industry avg is 18”

techman

Reaction score
I went through this with my setup. Ended up buying a BP 7" drop adjustable. Turned out with my boat trailer I actually had to use it in the rise position, but when I buy a smaller utility trailer in the spring I will need the drop. Point is, the HD adjustable hitches are swiss army knives for towing. If you have multiple trailers, why not go adjustable?

The air ride alt height is a really nice feature. Most folks think its just to make it easier to hook up, which it is. But the point is to level the truck front to back for towing. In it's unloaded normal air ride height the trucks are typically ass high when driving around.

mountainears

Reaction score
I have a 7x12 dump trailer and a 2 horse bumper pull. The 5” drop adjustable tow and stow will cover both of those easily and has three balls on it so I should have most covered. I may hold onto the bulletproof just in case I guess, but I won’t be afraid to part with it either. Something like my log splitter might need a heavy drop but that usually doesn’t leave my property and I can use the golf cart to tow it too.

The bulletproof is almost a clearance issue around here on hills and screws up the reverse sensors. Hoping that won’t be the case with the tow and stow and hoping it will fit in my garage with the hitch on (stowed).

Users who are viewing this thread