Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver's side Ram Box Not Locking with remote

cquilichini

Reaction score
Good morning guys,

Today I found that my driver's side Ram Box isn't locking when locking the car. Only locks with the key and unlocks with the remote. Any help to troubleshoot this is appreciated.

jebruns

Reaction score
There is a linkage that breaks on these. Cheap little plastic part. You have to take the cover off on the backside of the push button lock to see it. It should be obvious once you have the cover off.

cquilichini

Reaction score
There is a linkage that breaks on these. Cheap little plastic part. You have to take the cover off on the backside of the push button lock to see it. It should be obvious once you have the cover off.
Thanks, I will take a look!!!

cms1528

Reaction score
Yes it is very likely the cheap plastic linkage that broke, you can buy a bag of them on eBay. I have replaced two myself. There are vids on YouTube that will show you how to access the lock and make the repair. I will provide some more information in another post to give you some ideas.

cms1528

Reaction score
Here is a link to the Mopar part, you can buy a bag of these on eBay on the cheap.

Here is a You Tube link showing you how to make the fix. FYI the screws you remove from the cover may be on there like gorilla tight, so work carefully on that.

cquilichini

Reaction score
Here is a link to the Mopar part, you can buy a bag of these on eBay on the cheap.

Here is a You Tube link showing you how to make the fix. FYI the screws you remove from the cover may be on there like gorilla tight, so work carefully on that.

Thanks a lot!

LimitedLonghorn

Reaction score
My drivers side Rambox is doing the same thing. Bought the plastic clips off eBay, only to find that the stock clips were not even broken. Replaced anyways and sometimes it works, usually not.

Appears to be an issue with the actuator not fully extending. One of these days I’ll take it for warranty. Watching this thread until then.

cms1528

Reaction score
You've likely done this already but have you put a drop of lubricant on the pivot points of the actuator to see if that makes any difference.

Razzman

Reaction score
I've had this exact same issue three times in a 5,000 mile span, and all the clips were fine. Since it's still under warranty I let the dealer handle it and all three times the actuator went bad, one within two weeks of the previous one.

Ostracize

Reaction score
My drivers side Rambox is doing the same thing. Bought the plastic clips off eBay, only to find that the stock clips were not even broken. Replaced anyways and sometimes it works, usually not.

Appears to be an issue with the actuator not fully extending. One of these days I’ll take it for warranty. Watching this thread until then.
Mine did this.... If you take it apart and confirm the actuator is in fact actuating and no clips are broken then it's likely the angle that the actuator. I figured out.. Even after being replaced by the dealer once... It was working but the actuator arm would flex downward about 50-75%of the time which cause the connecting rod to rotate below the pivot, without actually moving/rotating the pivot.. So I just loosened the screws that hold the actuator assembly and "pointed" it's push direction up to increase its mechanical advantage into the pivot... Has worked fine ever since.
Though later on the other side, the rivet that makes up the pivot point of the cam popped/sheered... Replaced with screw/ss washer/nylon washer/top and bottom and lock nut. Drilled out the other side replaced with same setup.... All good since.

Reach out if anyone has questions. Hope this helps.

LimitedLonghorn

Reaction score
Mine did this.... If you take it apart and confirm the actuator is in fact actuating and no clips are broken then it's likely the angle that the actuator. I figured out.. Even after being replaced by the dealer once... It was working but the actuator arm would flex downward about 50-75%of the time which cause the connecting rod to rotate below the pivot, without actually moving/rotating the pivot.. So I just loosened the screws that hold the actuator assembly and "pointed" it's push direction up to increase its mechanical advantage into the pivot... Has worked fine ever since.

Thanks for this. The actuator works, it's just there's enough tolerance that sometimes it catches, sometimes it doesn't. For a while, I was able to get a zip tie around the rod to limit slippage but at some point it stopped working. This post inspired me to go out and mess with it again...I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread