Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivers A-pillar rain water leak.

Lary0071

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500, 4900 miles, 8 months old, with roof clearance lights and the sunroof.

Is this a common leak location, my assumption is that this indicates a windshield glass leak or possibly a clearance light fixture leaking.

Driving home from dinner last night in mild rain I had water dripping on my left knee. This could have been leaking since I bought it, but I don't drive the truck daily, try not drive it in rain and I store it inside for the winter salt season. So yesterday was odd that I had the truck and got caught in rain.

I'm torn, at 4,900 miles should I take it as a warranty item or go buy some sealant and remove the roof lights one at a time and seal them to the body?
ea56a7e37c14daec3e96b064bff6f216.jpg
107b37b6c9bb6fd16da99b4fec2022d1.jpg
a4de4aad4216af30c1104daaf8cc924a.jpg
c485f0e78bb39373545e1fa51253b61c.jpg
8cbd845ecfa30ec054afc564205f7b9c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Squatch

Reaction score
Agreed, that is the usual spot that the water will drop from but the source is usually either the clearance lights or the third brake light on the back of the cab.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500, 4900 miles, 8 months old, with roof clearance lights and the sunroof.

Is this a common leak location, my assumption is that this indicates a windshield glass leak or possibly a clearance light fixture leaking.

Driving home from dinner last night in mild rain I had water dripping on my left knee. This could have been leaking since I bought it, but I don't drive the truck daily, try not drive it in rain and I store it inside for the winter salt season. So yesterday was odd that I had the truck and got caught in rain.

I'm torn, at 4,900 miles should I take it as a warranty item or go buy some sealant and remove the roof lights one at a time and seal them to the bo

Hi @Lary0071 - If you do decide to work with your dealer on this, please know that our team is just a private message away and more than willing to get you set up with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Mike67

Reaction score

I'm torn, at 4,900 miles should I take it as a warranty item or go buy some sealant and remove the roof lights one at a time and seal them to the body?
ea56a7e37c14daec3e96b064bff6f216.jpg
107b37b6c9bb6fd16da99b4fec2022d1.jpg
a4de4aad4216af30c1104daaf8cc924a.jpg
c485f0e78bb39373545e1fa51253b61c.jpg
8cbd845ecfa30ec054afc564205f7b9c.jpg

Still haven't fixed this issue after all these years. I had an old 1500 that leaked from both sides, happened over time. Sealed everything I could think of and the leak persisted. Get the warranty work done, I didn't on my old truck and regretted it for years. Hope my 2020 2500 doesn't develop the issue.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Still haven't fixed this issue after all these years. I had an old 1500 that leaked from both sides, happened over time. Sealed everything I could think of and the leak persisted. Get the warranty work done, I didn't on my old truck and regretted it for years. Hope my 2020 2500 doesn't develop the issue.

Anytime you put holes in the roof you introduce the possibility of leaking...I'm sure they've come up with lots of ways to 'fix' the issue, however if the sunroof/cab lights aren't sealed properly that's the fault of the person on the line...

dmxjg35

Reaction score
I have been battling this issue since new, I’ve had it into the dealer twice both times they have cleaned the sunroof drains and it stops for a bit then comes back along with a rattle from the overhead console area.
i don’t drive the truck much and it isn’t driven on dirt roads or parked under trees so I find it hard to believe the drains keep getting clogged

Desertduler

Reaction score
My brand new 2020 3500 dually with clearance lights leaked water into the cab yesterday after I washed the truck at the car wash at the grab handle on the drivers side.
The same location as shown by Lary0071. I sprayed around the clearance lights with the pressure wand and I am sure that the water that entered the cab had came in from that location.
Three of the clearance lights have water condensation inside the lenses and I suspect those are the ones that are not sealed very well.
My truck has 437 miles on it. I am a retired Mechanic with over 50 years of experience and I do not like the idea of someone else working on my truck most certainly now days!
I would caution anyone with the cab clearance lights to stay back away from the lights with a pressure wand as the water could pass by the gaskets on the base of the lights and then enter the cab.
I do also have a sunroof and I have checked it to make sure that the water had not entered in that location and it has not.

Linked4door

Reaction score
Just noticed the same thing on my 19 limited. I had a second leak showing from the overhead console at the sunflass holder. Mine is also just under 5k miles and doesn't have a sunroof. I plan on taking mine to the dealership, mainly to have the issue on record. Who knows how much water has leaked since 1-2 years since it was built.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Just noticed the same thing on my 19 limited. I had a second leak showing from the overhead console at the sunflass holder. Mine is also just under 5k miles and doesn't have a sunroof. I plan on taking mine to the dealership, mainly to have the issue on record. Who knows how much water has leaked since 1-2 years since it was built.
You have clearance lights correct?

Desertduler

Reaction score
I sure do.
Well I can assure you that they let water in the cab. The gasket on the leading edge of the clearance lights which face the front of the truck have a small cross section sealing the clearance lights and the front of the clearance lights are anchored by a plastic barbed tab which is part of the light base and the lights also have two other barbs that are on the side of the light base and they snap into the hole that are cut in the roof. The assembly is held into place by the screw which is toward the back of the light housing and in that location there is enough clamping force applied to that area to compress the gasket to create a seal but not so much towards the front of the lights.

Desertduler

Reaction score
What you might want to do is use a Torx 20 driver to remove the screw on the drivers side clearance light then lift the rear of the light upwards with your fingers to remove the light and see if you have moisture and dirt on the sealing surface of the clearance light base gasket and the area on the roof where the gasket is supposed to seal. If you indeed see what I have stated then this is a problem area also look for water condensation in the lens of the lights.

Linked4door

Reaction score
Well I can assure you that they let water in the cab. The gasket on the leading edge of the clearance lights which face the front of the truck have a small cross section sealing the clearance lights and the front of the clearance lights are anchored by a plastic barbed tab which is part of the light base and the lights also have two other barbs that are on the side of the light base and they snap into the hole that are cut in the roof. The assembly is held into place by the screw which is toward the back of the light housing and in that location there is enough clamping force applied to that area to compress the gasket to create a seal but not so much towards the front of the lights.
Thanks for the info, and I completely agree. I know I can fix them myself at the shop I work at (also in the automotive industry), but I am planing on having the dealer do it mainly to have the issue on record. More worried about future issues coming from the long term water leakage. Don't want to be replacing the headliner or wiring later on down the road out of pocket because I fixed the leak myself. I do appreciate the info though.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, and I completely agree. I know I can fix them myself at the shop I work at (also in the automotive industry), but I am planing on having the dealer do it mainly to have the issue on record. More worried about future issues coming from the long term water leakage. Don't want to be replacing the headliner or wiring later on down the road out of pocket because I fixed the leak myself. I do appreciate the info though.
I understand completely. Best of luck!

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Hello All,
I to am having a water leak issue with my 3500 mega Limited, no clearance lights but I do have a sunroof. The truck also made a loud banging noise when you would close the sunroof. The truck has been in the shop for approx 3 weeks now and they have replaced the sunroof glass and seal due to a faulty seal issue. The water was entering the drivers side front piller. The new glass corrected the front leak and now it’s leaking in the rear. (identified before leaving the dealership).
The dealership has taken the head liner out to attempt to adjust the sunroof for fit and function, however they are having no luck. The Ram engineer department are now involved and attempting to address and correct this issue, last resort I am being told is they may have to replace the roof panel itself due the the sunroof frame being part of the roof panel and they believe the panel is warped slightly causing the sunroof not to seal. I am hoping they can correct this issue without cutting my roof off a 6000 mile , 87 thousand dollar truck. I will update when I get any news.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have been battling this issue since new, I’ve had it into the dealer twice both times they have cleaned the sunroof drains and it stops for a bit then comes back along with a rattle from the overhead console area.
i don’t drive the truck much and it isn’t driven on dirt roads or parked under trees so I find it hard to believe the drains keep getting clogged
In the A pillar where the sunroof drain comes out they have a rubber thing on the end of the drain line you can open that up to keep it from clogging my 3rd gen was the same so i opened up the drains and never had an issue again

Snaps3500

Reaction score
Hello,
Just an update on my truck, still waiting for the RAM engineers to contact the dealership. It’s hard to get things done over the holidays. The truck is in pieces at the dealership. Going on week 4 at the dealership and no progress and no answers yet. But they will be asking for my payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xflight29

Reaction score
Holy crap, they have had it for over 4 weeks for a water leak ? that is so wrong of them. Seems to me that they [ your dealer] are proceeding with your truck in a very leisurely fashion.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Hello,
Just an update on my truck, still waiting for the RAM engineers to contact the dealership. It’s hard to get things done over the holidays. The truck is in pieces at the dealership. Going on week 4 at the dealership and no progress and no answers yet. But they will be asking for my payment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yours and your dealerships relationship has absolutely zero to do with yours and your banks relationship. While I understand your frustration with the truck, the dealership, the brand and the responsible warranty owner (FCA).... the back is an absolute outsider here.

That being said, you may be able to talk to Ram Cares and sell to get some form of help with the payment. I expect that it's a crazy long shot, but I swear that I've seen someone before claim to have gotten at least some partial restitution for payments while a new vehicle was out of service for months due to lack of parts supply.

But the bank has no dog in this fight.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread