Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driveline lash? 2019 3500 HO 4x4

rmarchjr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new truck, 1800 miles, Cummins HO/Aisin.

When using the throttle gently transitioning from acceleration to deceleration below 45 mph, does anyone else hear a clunking noise? Its not 100% consistent and occurs 3 out of 5 times when easing on or off of the go pedal. It feels like loose ujoint, sound seems to come from the front drivers side axle/wheel/transfer case area. I've never used 4wd yet, sounds like my old ford f550 with 200k miles. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same?
All responses welcome, thank you!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
mine is also that way. i have the 68 and standard output. it will be at the dealer on monday to have it looked at among other things.

DieselDZ

Reaction score
Mine does it as well, I've gotten good about throttle position and making it not make that sound, but it definitely sounds like the differential/Pinion has excessive lash... Keep me posted. I'm afraid the dealership is just going to give their standard "That's Normal" BS. Sometimes even shifting to Neutral when I come to a stop will make the loud ass clunk sound.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 HO, and I definitely hear it frequently. Like @DieselDZ, I have gotten better with throttle position which helps, but sometimes it just makes a loud clank when I decelerate.

Albert193500

Reaction score
I have the 3500 HO drw. I have not heard this sound but I get the clunk after fully stopped and then shifting to reverse from drive.

Don-T

Reaction score
My ‘18 with the 6.4 had a lot of driveline backlash. My ‘19 6.7 HO has none that I have noticed.

D

Deleted member 80

Just turned 3600 miles and am starting to notice the driveline slack, but nothing major.

I have found that when changing direction, or going to Park it is best to pause at Neutral for a moment until it "unloads".

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
I have the 3500 HO drw. I have not heard this sound but I get the clunk after fully stopped and then shifting to reverse from drive.
I get that occasionally with the SRW, especially when shifting directly from D to R. I made it a habit decades ago to pause in neutral when shifting to R or P in automatics but do get lazy every so often.

Albert193500

Reaction score
I get that occasionally with the SRW, especially when shifting directly from D to R. I made it a habit decades ago to pause in neutral when shifting to R or P in automatics but do get lazy every so often.
Mine will come out of drive hard as well.

jeff

Reaction score
dang, I don't like the sound of this.

Albert193500

Reaction score
dang, I don't like the sound of this.
I am not worried about it. I had the one in my 2017, it didn't do it as hard or as often but I never had an issue. I have heard of plenty of issues concerning the Dodge trans. The Aisin trans shifts different and has a slightly firmer shift. It doesn't bother me because my other car is my race car which shifts very firm lol. The tradeoff for the HO setup is worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread