Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. See Dealer

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'm responding because I noted similar issues upthread, and for me the answer is generally, yes. We're currently on our last camping trip of the season. 4 states, ~1500 miles with our 15k 5th wheel. EGTs pulling are around 850 or higher, at least 200 degrees higher than I see running unloaded (I have a pair of iDashes). Our first leg was around 400 miles, never saw the DPF screen show anything. We went out today unloaded, to check out something locally, and it ran a regen on the way there (maybe 25 miles from camp site to destination). It was short regen. I suspect this was one of the scheduled 'every 24-25 hour' regens. After completing, one of the PIDs I watch is miles between regens--this time, 638. Last time, 268. Before that, 186.

The difference is around town errands/kid stuff, no load, short trips. I bought this truck to pull our RV. That said, I should be able to do other things unloaded with regens that aren't this frequent. My 2020 could handle in-town trips without a regen inside 300 miles. Maybe that's a bad expectation, I don't know. What I do know is I'm not in a position to have a beater in addition to our other two vehicles plus RV. I shouldn't need to. I limit my around town stuff as much as I can. I work from home, my wife doesn't and can't. So sometimes, yep, I'm running a kid to school or doctor's appointment.

I know you're asking to help and I don't think your comment was directed negatively at anyone. My point is simply that it seems excessive to regen in such a short timeframe just because you used the vehicle for something besides towing.

I'm hoping the data logging I'm doing will let me see some patterns, but I haven't had time to start analyzing it yet. Maybe it'll show nothing. Maybe this is just the way it is on an intact, late-model diesel. Just seems excessive.

It should definitely not give any fits running to town, totally agree. That few miles between regens does not seem normal either.

NVYCHF

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time, I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Got the 100% full and CEL again, “reduced power see dealer” message. Took it in today, CEL driving home from work yesterday. Dealer service said DPF is bad. 26k miles in 16 months, including long distance Va to Fl 7 times.

Randy

wwilkins

Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time, I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Got the 100% full and CEL again, “reduced power see dealer” message. Took it in today, CEL driving home from work yesterday. Dealer service said DPF is bad. 26k miles in 16 months, including long distance Va to Fl 7 times.

Randy
Finally sold my 2019 after no could fix the same problem under warranty. All started after a ECU update.

wwilkins

Reaction score
How did you manage to sell it with such a problem? Dealer purchase?
I cleared the one code I was getting and sold to the dealer who started all my problems for $2k more than I brought it for. I had 2002 2500 Cummings for years and thought I would have the same experience with this one. Not so much. Good luck

wwilkins

Reaction score
How did you manage to sell it with such a problem? Dealer purchase?
They will replace the whole DEF system under warranty and sell it. They listed it $17k more than they paid me.

Not callled stealerships for nothing

BadX

Reaction score
Had this happen to my 2-22 Ram 3500 this morning. Called the dealership and they said it would be next Thursday(Sept 28th)before they can get to it. The truck only has 15k on it. Has anyone gotten this issue fixed? Seems like every thread I've come up on still has it unresolved.

Reddfox77

Reaction score
Had this happen to my 2-22 Ram 3500 this morning. Called the dealership and they said it would be next Thursday(Sept 28th)before they can get to it. The truck only has 15k on it. Has anyone gotten this issue fixed? Seems like every thread I've come up on still has it unresolved.
I have had my 2020 2500 in 6 times for this each was a different dealer and said it was fixed. I told them it’s BS that Chrysler is letting this go knowing there is a problem and not correcting it. Three warranties and can’t get into a dealership this time because they are backed up. I don’t think the diesel techs at dealerships know what they are doing. If it wasn’t for this the truck is a very good truck. I wish they would just figure it out and fix it.

BadX

Reaction score
I have had my 2020 2500 in 6 times for this each was a different dealer and said it was fixed. I told them it’s BS that Chrysler is letting this go knowing there is a problem and not correcting it. Three warranties and can’t get into a dealership this time because they are backed up. I don’t think the diesel techs at dealerships know what they are doing. If it wasn’t for this the truck is a very good truck. I wish they would just figure it out and fix it.
They replaced the DEF system and so far so good, regens a lot more than it used to . I've only put 2k on it since getting it back. Definitely do not have the confidence in the truck like I had and have been looking for another truck

Users who are viewing this thread