Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. See Dealer

wwilkins

Reaction score
2019 2500 had 50,200 on first dealer trip to fix warranty and recalls. Has 52,234 now
Had a particulate filter sensor code and the dealer could not get the part and let me take it home and drive it after fixing all the warranty work. They were supposed to call when the part was available but never did. Finally got the 'DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. ‘See Dealer'

I finally called another dealer, and they had the part and installed it then did a manual regen which got the DPF gauge down to 25% when I picked up the truck. I drove it for .5 miles and went into regen then the 'DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. ‘See Dealer' message again. Went back to dealer and they still have the truck.

Dealer can't seem to solve the issue. They opened a STARS case (83843815) for help. My DFP screen never moved off zero in 40,000 miles and before all the issues would regen once in a while ( I never checked the hours in between).

Why can't the issue be narrowed down to either a software issue or a sensor/component.
-Sensors cause the codes.
-Check all sensors manually. All ok?
-Check sensor wires at the PCM. All ok?
-Software issue?

I understand it could be complicated but not impossible to solve.

NVYCHF

Reaction score
2019 2500 had 50,200 on first dealer trip to fix warranty and recalls. Has 52,234 now
Had a particulate filter sensor code and the dealer could not get the part and let me take it home and drive it after fixing all the warranty work. They were supposed to call when the part was available but never did. Finally got the 'DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. ‘See Dealer'

I finally called another dealer, and they had the part and installed it then did a manual regen which got the DPF gauge down to 25% when I picked up the truck. I drove it for .5 miles and went into regen then the 'DPF Filter full. Reduced Power. ‘See Dealer' message again. Went back to dealer and they still have the truck.

Dealer can't seem to solve the issue. They opened a STARS case (83843815) for help. My DFP screen never moved off zero in 40,000 miles and before all the issues would regen once in a while ( I never checked the hours in between).

Why can't the issue be narrowed down to either a software issue or a sensor/component.
-Sensors cause the codes.
-Check all sensors manually. All ok?
-Check sensor wires at the PCM. All ok?
-Software issue?

I understand it could be complicated but not impossible to solve.
wwilkins,

Good morning! I am in the same boat, so to speak. At just over 12k CEL, DPF 100%, reduced power. Took it to the dealer, they did a manual regen and cleared the codes. My truck has done a regen about every 100 to 120 miles (3-5 days), 10 regens since July 9th. 13.5k on the clock now. They wont touch/replace the sensor (other work related) without a TSB/Recall. They are getting the truck back next Friday, so I can start the (dealer can’t fix it clock). I just started a DM going with Ramcares. We will see where this gets to.

Be safe,
Randy

Aketay

Reaction score
Check your air filter and the intercooler tubes for any leaks. I’ve had problems with both.

wwilkins

Reaction score
wwilkins,

Good morning! I am in the same boat, so to speak. At just over 12k CEL, DPF 100%, reduced power. Took it to the dealer, they did a manual regen and cleared the codes. My truck has done a regen about every 100 to 120 miles (3-5 days), 10 regens since July 9th. 13.5k on the clock now. They wont touch/replace the sensor (other work related) without a TSB/Recall. They are getting the truck back next Friday, so I can start the (dealer can’t fix it clock). I just started a DM going with Ramcares. We will see where this gets to.

Be safe,
Randy
Thanks for the reply. What is the "dealer can't fix clock" They still have the truck and I'm still racking up rental costs.

Riddick

Reaction score
It's really hard to diagnose without physically seeing the truck. I wonder if your DPF is plugged and the regens aren't getting it cleaned out enough. I am seeing more and more issues with emissions on these trucks and I don't think RAM is doing anything to make them more reliable. Lucky for you the 19 has aftermarket support which can readily solve your issues.

wwilkins

Reaction score
It's really hard to diagnose without physically seeing the truck. I wonder if your DPF is plugged and the regens aren't getting it cleaned out enough. I am seeing more and more issues with emissions on these trucks and I don't think RAM is doing anything to make them more reliable. Lucky for you the 19 has aftermarket support which can readily solve your issues.
They say it's not . All sensors report back as good and they said it would throw a code for clogged DPF or CAT. What do you mean 'after market solutions'?
I'm a computer guy.... if all the inputs are correct(sensors) and the output is wrong(DPF Full) most of the time it's software. They did a PCM update durning warranty work 2000 miles before this.

The only reason I got the '19 is I had a 02' that was just too loud for me any longer. Had 320k on that one with no issues ever.

wwilkins

Reaction score
I'm guessing the differential pressure on the DPF can be measured manually to determine if it is full without relying on the sensor output. Is that true?

NVYCHF

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What is the "dealer can't fix clock" They still have the truck and I'm still racking up rental costs.
wwilkins,

Good afternoon!! Eventually if the dealer can’t fix it, Stellantis (Ram) engineers should get involved with solving the issue.

tchur1

Reaction score
Af
They say it's not . All sensors report back as good and they said it would throw a code for clogged DPF or CAT. What do you mean 'after market solutions'?
I'm a computer guy.... if all the inputs are correct(sensors) and the output is wrong(DPF Full) most of the time it's software. They did a PCM update durning warranty work 2000 miles before this.

The only reason I got the '19 is I had a 02' that was just too loud for me any longer. Had 320k on that one with no issues ever.
Im assuming he means a delete when saying "aftermarket support" Idk where you live and how comfortable you are exploring that option but it might be worth it?

MikeXM

Reaction score
These problems are not exclusive to RAMs. Two weeks ago I was camping at a national park. A semi and trailer was holding traffic and letting people pass whenever the park road allowed it. He was running at 5mph. Sounds familiar? A few hours later, I saw it parked just outside the park. And just a bit further a heavy towing truck was coming with another semi (of same trucking company) in tow to exchange the failed semi. While I didn't talk to anyone, it definitely looked like a DPF problem. Even the big rigs have those problems.

mboudoin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think this is the death of the diesel lineup with all the big 3. All the good mechanics operate their own shops or work for specialty shops instead of at the dealerships leaving the ones who don't have a clue to work for the dealers. What good is a warranty then if people have to incur 1000's in costs due to them taking weeks to fix the problem. Been fighting this crap since May.

wwilkins

Reaction score
Update:
After the dealer fix ( 4 regens in row as directed from STAR after having the truck for 20 days. ) and replacing the particulate sensor (P24B5) which is not under warranty at $710 it still does a regen every 300 miles. Now a new P24B4 code at 900 miles after leaving the dealer. The truck has 53k miles.

MEGA HO

Reaction score

Have your problems started after that PCM update? I think that's the issue and the reason I didn't want them to do any updates on my 19

wwilkins

Reaction score
Have your problems started after that PCM update? I think that's the issue and the reason I didn't want them to do any updates on my 19
Seems that way. They did multiple recall fixes including the pcm update. I asked them to go back to the old version and they said impossible to do that. My dpf gauge never moved off zero for 50k miles now it moves to 50% in 300 miles and does a regen.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
They can't go back but I think there's a fix for it, tune from Calibrated Power is emissions complaint and I remember reading on their site their tune will burn cleaner and no issues with plugged up DPF, something like this. Not sure though if they would recommend the tune on a truck that has issues but if they're software issues then it sounds like a fix to me. @John Jensen may know more about it, or contact Calibrated Power directly.

Riddick

Reaction score
It's time to ditch the dealer and find a reputable diesel shop to fix your truck. I am not sure where you are but I bet there is a local diesel shop than can get you fixed. Either this or delete the emissions entirely, not a matter of if it will fail but when.

Jane B

Reaction score
There's another thread on this issue here in this forum called "Regens at an Alarming Rate". It's primarily with 2022's and I just added mine to their list. "Well, you guys can add me to the list. It happened to me yesterday. 2022 3500 H/O Tradesman Dually from Mark Dodge, delivered mid Feb '22, 4050 miles, 274 total hours, with a high % of idle hours that I will do better about going forward. Driving down the road, message popped up for regen, regen started and very quickly after said Exhaust Filter Full, Power Reduced, See Dealer. I was still driving down the road, but it went from Regen to See Dealer within a short distance and time. Found this thread and others last night, so there's clearly an issue. Local Homestead, FL dealer service department said they had not heard about this issue, scheduled me for TWO WEEKS from now and told me not go on any long trips but that I could keep driving it. I let them know that I had seen the issue discussed on the forums and that there had been a letter circulating about the sensor and when I asked him to confirm that it's a warranty item he did confirm that. I'm going to write to RamCares Ram Chat and send all I can to the service department to get on the STAR list, but I have no intention of going through a never ending revolving door with the service department to get this dealt with. I plan to document document document. I didn't buy a brand new vehicle to be worrying about whether I can get an appointment or get an issue fully resolved. I'll do better with getting more frequent longer drives and the idle times, but I'm not going to deal with a regen every 10 hours. There's a problem and the manufacturer needs to address it and/or give an updated communication to their customers, dealers, and service departments."

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Are you guys working these trucks or just idling and running short distances?

These things need to be worked and get HOT once in a while... keeps things clean.

Jane B

Reaction score
I've possibly been baby'ing mine a little too much. The tractor though, I give it hell. My truck only has 4000 miles and I've had it 7 months. I've been up to Palm Beach (from Homestead) and back same day, on long no stop roads, a few times, and some other longer than riding around town drives. No long idle times, even though I feel like I spend most of life opening and closing gates, I do that pretty fast. I'm going to be more mindful of this going forward, but it still seems untimely. Let's see if better driving practices improves the situation.

agtcovert

Reaction score
Are you guys working these trucks or just idling and running short distances?

These things need to be worked and get HOT once in a while... keeps things clean.
I'm responding because I noted similar issues upthread, and for me the answer is generally, yes. We're currently on our last camping trip of the season. 4 states, ~1500 miles with our 15k 5th wheel. EGTs pulling are around 850 or higher, at least 200 degrees higher than I see running unloaded (I have a pair of iDashes). Our first leg was around 400 miles, never saw the DPF screen show anything. We went out today unloaded, to check out something locally, and it ran a regen on the way there (maybe 25 miles from camp site to destination). It was short regen. I suspect this was one of the scheduled 'every 24-25 hour' regens. After completing, one of the PIDs I watch is miles between regens--this time, 638. Last time, 268. Before that, 186.

The difference is around town errands/kid stuff, no load, short trips. I bought this truck to pull our RV. That said, I should be able to do other things unloaded with regens that aren't this frequent. My 2020 could handle in-town trips without a regen inside 300 miles. Maybe that's a bad expectation, I don't know. What I do know is I'm not in a position to have a beater in addition to our other two vehicles plus RV. I shouldn't need to. I limit my around town stuff as much as I can. I work from home, my wife doesn't and can't. So sometimes, yep, I'm running a kid to school or doctor's appointment.

I know you're asking to help and I don't think your comment was directed negatively at anyone. My point is simply that it seems excessive to regen in such a short timeframe just because you used the vehicle for something besides towing.

I'm hoping the data logging I'm doing will let me see some patterns, but I haven't had time to start analyzing it yet. Maybe it'll show nothing. Maybe this is just the way it is on an intact, late-model diesel. Just seems excessive.

Users who are viewing this thread