Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't think I can wait for 2025s

flan

Reaction score
For me it depends on use. When I was doing construction every day 8’was needed. I had a truck box in at all times which pretty much put me back to short bed territory except for sheet goods, shovels, etc. they would slide under the box. Also with the 8’ spread lumber was more supported on the ladder racks. Now thankfully I just dabble in it for special clients (family lol) so there’s no truck box and I can get by with 8’ boards by either propping them up on the tailgate, or just leaving the tailgate down and ratchet strapping them from going anywhere. I have thule ladder racks that are removable for ladders, kyacks, etc. Long bed would not allow me to walk around it in my garage either, short bed allows that. The short bed fills up when we go camping with the TT but everything fits. 8’ bed would fill up too, we would just bring more unnecessary crap haha. For around the house if stuff does not fit that’s what my equipment trailer is for. There’s the 2 options available and it depends on use case for sure. They both have their places.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Do you know what we call those short bed trucks in the construction industry Useless.
Absolutely if they made a longer bed i would buy it as you can almost never have enough bed space

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I like the mega cab but the it doesn't make the leg room larger just more storage space behind the seat.
Hahaha... do you even understand what you're saying? Mega is definitely adds more leg room, rear seats leg room is probably more than in a cheby or ferd. But I find it to be somewhat excessive to be honest, I have mega. It's nice you can throw things (grocery bags, etc) on a floor, but it's way more than needed for extra leg room.

Do you know why some people like the short bed? Crew cab short bed RAM is often the only truck that fits into modern garage of the average house.
If you don't like it - fine, if you don't like the long bed - that's fine to.
Go buy what you like, it's not an airport here you don't need to announce your departure. Bye!

oledirteh

Reaction score
my only regret is not having a long bed. But where i work having a long bed means i stick out 4 feet in the road when i park in a space.

Buy buying a truck right now is dumb. my 21 is the last new truck ill own more then likly.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Do you know what we call those short bed trucks in the construction industry Useless.
I thought that’s why they came with hitches …so you can pull whatever ’’size’’ of box you want. Probably even more better than 8 foot.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I thought that’s why they came with hitches …so you can pull whatever ’’size’’ of box you want. Probably even more better than 8 foot.

I flip Homes, work on my rentals etc and I loved my 8’ bed. Unfortunately, a 2nd kid made the mega cab a necessity for us. No long bed. I do have an older T1N sprinter which allow me to haul 11’ items inside.

The 8’ bed came in handy but I do have a 14’ dump trailer so I’ll just need to start using that more which is just life - life is all about choices.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I flip Homes, work on my rentals etc and I loved my 8’ bed. Unfortunately, a 2nd kid made the mega cab a necessity for us. No long bed. I do have an older T1N sprinter which allow me to haul 11’ items inside.

The 8’ bed came in handy but I do have a 14’ dump trailer so I’ll just need to start using that more which is just life - life is all about choices.

A 2nd kid does not make a mega cab a necessity, but thats funny.

We do a couple trips a year with our 3 kids, plus the niece, in the quad cab. The mega cab wouldn’t make enough difference to drop the 8’ bed… and certainly wouldn’t call it a necessity.

The 2nd kid takes up more bed space than cab space as they age, let alone the 3rd and any friends/family that accompany us.

I like the mega cab but the it doesn't make the leg room larger just more storage space behind the seat.

For a guy who is complaining about a few inches of bed space, you’re sure quick to dismiss 2.9” of additional rear legroom in the MC. The MC is just .3” short of a ‘24 GM crew cab.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
A 2nd kid does not make a mega cab a necessity, but thats funny.

We do a couple trips a year with our 3 kids, plus the niece, in the quad cab. The mega cab wouldn’t make enough difference to drop the 8’ bed… and certainly wouldn’t call it a necessity.

The 2nd kid takes up more bed space than cab space as they age, let alone the 3rd and any friends/family that accompany us.

For a guy who is complaining about a few inches of bed space, you’re sure quick to dismiss 2.9” of additional rear legroom in the MC. The MC is just .3” short of a ‘24 GM crew cab.

Oh but it does. My kids are fat(only because car seats are wide and deep.) Then I left out the 3rd kid- a Hungarian vizsla. She likes laying out and she’s the most important kid so she needs room. I’ll agree a regular crew cab works fine around town but the extra room in the mega cab makes longer trips much nicer and avoids storing things in the bed for Costco trips and in the rain etc.

There is more room for the legs but the seat bottoms seem deeper in the mega cab too. Maybe I’m wrong

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
All it takes is a little extra money and you can have one built today. There’s a company (name escapes me) that specializes in those. I see them for sale used sometimes.
Yeah I know that but it won't be factory and it isn't cheap. Maybe one day though.

UglyViking

Reaction score
My CCLB DRW is already a 3 point turn on a 2 lane road, can't imagine a MCLB, haha

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah I know that but it won't be factory and it isn't cheap. Maybe one day though.
It is really not a hard job to stretch a truck when using a factory box why they cost so much to do so blows my mind, i have done basically the same thing in reverse on a duramax making a RCSB for a customer, takes the same amount of modifications, driveline, frame work, exhaust, wiring, fuel/brake lines. And so on

Riddick

Reaction score
If you had 10 of us build our perfect truck they would all be different, you have to do what's best for your needs. I agree the short beds are a touch to short, if they were a few inches longer I could load our dirt bikes straight rather than angling them in. With a GM or Ford short bed I would be able to accomplish this. However, on a positive note this bed is a huge step up from my old F-150 crew cab short bed. Most members on here opt for the long beds because they use them, I am on the fence on how the long bed trucks look. In stock configuration I think the SRW long beds look strange, the DRW trucks look great. On the flip side when you put a level or lift with bigger tires the SRW long beds look awesome. The stretched mega cab from the link above is one fine looking truck!!

Users who are viewing this thread