Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't buy these locking hitch pins - InfiniteRule Security

darrellr

Reaction score
I have had a B&W Tow & Stow hitch on my 3500 for a couple of years. I left it sitting outside on my driveway for a couple of nights. During that time, someone stole my hitch off my truck. It was a $400 3 ball with 8.5" drop. I bought a 4-pack of the locking pins for $150. All are now gone. I suppose the best part is that my receiver hitch doesn't even have a scratch. Apparently these are fairly easy to pick. Watch LPL pick the pin in 30 seconds with a simple rake. Was not a happy camper when I went to adjust the hitch to tow a trailer and discovered it was gone.

2001WS6

Reaction score
Some of these locking pins will easily break off with a lazy swing of a hammer. I just don't leave my hitch in when not in use.
They are also weak. I had a locking pin till it broke while pulling a trailer.

darrellr

Reaction score
These don't have the similar issues with a weak spot in the pin like many. Not saying they cannot be broken, but they are so easy to pick I am sure that is how the hitch was taken. I just didn't occur to me to take it off when I had to leave it outside for a couple of nights since it is always in the garage. My fault for leaving it there, but f*ck the thieves who stole it.

Bombaman

Reaction score
I went with the PacLock to attach the hitch to the truck, havent opted for the hight adjust pins. Rated "Decent" by LPL!

762fmj

Reaction score
I also have this pin, specifically because it does not have a thinned out section that can easily break. As far as being easily picked there are pretty much no affordable locks that aren't easily picked. For the money spent on a high end lock set that's also packaged into a hitch pin and isn't prone to a pipe or hammer attack you'd probably be into it as much as a new hitch anyway.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked at those pins to secure my Shocker hitch to the drop bar, but figured a pair of 5/8" grade 8 bolts torqued to 150 ft. lbs. with red thread locker would probably be just as secure. They'd need a pair of 15/16" wrenches/sockets and a lot of leverage to bust them free. Might even take longer than picking the IR lock. Probably just makes the Paclock securing the drop bar to receiver the weak link, but it's in a really tight spot to get leverage on . . .

Last edited:

darrellr

Reaction score
I also have this pin, specifically because it does not have a thinned out section that can easily break. As far as being easily picked there are pretty much no affordable locks that aren't easily picked. For the money spent on a high end lock set that's also packaged into a hitch pin and isn't prone to a pipe or hammer attack you'd probably be into it as much as a new hitch anyway.
Sure, but 30 seconds to pick a lock that they says has to be picked a lot of times according to the manufacturer is ridiculous. Watch the video on it and how little skill it takes. I spent $150+ on those pins, they are not cheap throwaway pins as they are man. I would change them if I were you.

tyler2you

Reaction score
Sure, but 30 seconds to pick a lock that they says has to be picked a lot of times according to the manufacturer is ridiculous. Watch the video on it and how little skill it takes. I spent $150+ on those pins, they are not cheap throwaway pins as they are man. I would change them if I were you.
Yeah, that lock cylinder was a really bad choice. I'd never seen a lock that easy to "pick". No skill required.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
they are all easy to pick, with the right kit. any solution is more a deterrent than true security.

darrellr

Reaction score
I think these are more of a "watch this, hold my beer" type of thing.

Turin

Reaction score

Bombaman

Reaction score
Its practically a glowing recommendation! Good thing I like is the ease of doing keyed-alike even through Amazon.

darrellr

Reaction score
Its practically a glowing recommendation! Good thing I like is the ease of doing keyed-alike even through Amazon.
The keying does make it somewhat attractive from the standpoint of being able to key my trailers and storage all using the same key.

Users who are viewing this thread