Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the 360 surround view use the cargo camera?

jm888

Reaction score
I saw the 360 surround view in a truck the other day at a dealership and it looks pretty cool. The salesman told me it uses satellites to get that image, but I have learned here that it just uses all of the cameras images stitched together to create it :) Anyways, I was wondering if it uses the cargo camera as well because I am trying to determine if you got a topper on the the truck, if that would just make the cargo camera no longer functional or if it would disable the whole surround view system.

jm888

Reaction score
Ok, cool, so I guess a topper wouldn't affect it. It still baffles me how it works! It makes sense how the two mirror cameras and tailgate camera will show everything from the mirrors back and how the from camera can show forward, but how does it see what is to the side of the truck ahead of the mirrors?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ok, cool, so I guess a topper wouldn't affect it. It still baffles me how it works! It makes sense how the two mirror cameras and tailgate camera will show everything from the mirrors back and how the from camera can show forward, but how does it see what is to the side of the truck ahead of the mirrors?
The side cameras cover the side of the truck from front to back.. but the image is skewed (kinda a fish-eye effect) when you get to the corners so be careful..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the 360 surround view in a truck the other day at a dealership and it looks pretty cool. The salesman told me it uses satellites to get that image, but I have learned here that it just uses all of the cameras images stitched together to create it :) Anyways, I was wondering if it uses the cargo camera as well because I am trying to determine if you got a topper on the the truck, if that would just make the cargo camera no longer functional or if it would disable the whole surround view system.

That right there is proof you cannot trust anything they say.

I was ROTFLMAO when I read that.

P.S. the 2022 trucks are supposed to have a trailer surround view system available as well.

Mark Halwa

Reaction score
Satellites? Now that is rich.....

Users who are viewing this thread