Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone's 6.4L Hemi NOT have the infamous chirping noise?

Enve46

Reaction score
There's several noises Ive found to be normal with Hemi's all of types and the squeal/chirp noise was even worse with the TRXs. Ram has said it has to do with the lifter design as well as the cats.. Very odd answer about the cats. My 6.4 makes a very similar noise at my TRXs did so maybe there's validity to it, I dont know. However, the sound is across almost every hemi Ive heard to some degree so it kind of is something we have to deal with.. Or dont. I dont know

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
Just watched your video on FB, but didn't hear any noise. What is it we are supposed to hear?
The high pitched squeal/chirp that goes away after the truck warms up. I have heard it on multiple youtube videos. It is one of those noise that everyone says is typical of the 6.4 Hemi. I am calling BS on that! It wasn't there when I bought it, it sounds horrible, and needs to be fixed. I don't care if every single 6.4 hemi develops this noise, that doesn't mean we need to accept it as right. I didn't pay for a truck that sounds like some sort of 80's rust bucket!

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
There's several noises Ive found to be normal with Hemi's all of types and the squeal/chirp noise was even worse with the TRXs. Ram has said it has to do with the lifter design as well as the cats.. Very odd answer about the cats. My 6.4 makes a very similar noise at my TRXs did so maybe there's validity to it, I dont know. However, the sound is across almost every hemi Ive heard to some degree so it kind of is something we have to deal with.. Or dont. I dont know
I had a 5.7 for 6 years and over 100,000 miles and it never made this sound. I got the occasional tick if I ran it for a short time, turned it off, and restarted it a while later but that was a very specific circumstance and went away in a few seconds.

Grey

Reaction score
Never heard it myself. Kind of weird how every body freaks out about the ticking, guess the never owned a solid pushrod old V8. Just for the record the old Hemis, or high power vette motors with all the valve train running, was and still is an orchestra of glorious music. Maserati 4.9 with that 6 foot chain rolling, could put a smile on a Mummys face

Darkside

Reaction score
I still think it’s an engine timing issue, if you listen carefully it goes away fast when it warms up, have worked on many old engines and set timing by ear and that is definitely the same sound as when you advance the timing to far… I believe the timing gets advanced by the computer until the engine gets to a certain temperature because it goes away to fast to be something not computer controlled.

Enve46

Reaction score
I still think it’s an engine timing issue, if you listen carefully it goes away fast when it warms up, have worked on many old engines and set timing by ear and that is definitely the same sound as when you advance the timing to far… I believe the timing gets advanced by the computer until the engine gets to a certain temperature because it goes away to fast to be something not computer controlled.
My current 6.4 is noisy as hell but hoping that changes with its first oil change. My TRXs all sounded the same as the current 6.4, at all temps. I think I’m kinda at the point where I don’t care enough to bitch and complain cause I know nothing will come of it. If I do keep this thing, I have a problem swapping trucks often, I may do a short block stroker and long tubes which will change it all.

I had a 5.7 for 6 years and over 100,000 miles and it never made this sound. I got the occasional tick if I ran it for a short time, turned it off, and restarted it a while later but that was a very specific circumstance and went away in a few seconds.
Must be a lucky one hahaha I had two 5.7s and while they’re weren’t as noisy as the 6.4s or 6.2s I’ve had they had similar noises.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Never heard it myself. Kind of weird how every body freaks out about the ticking, guess the never owned a solid pushrod old V8. Just for the record the old Hemis, or high power vette motors with all the valve train running, was and still is an orchestra of glorious music. Maserati 4.9 with that 6 foot chain rolling, could put a smile on a Mummys face
The injectors in my 22re are louder than my Hemi

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
"could put a smile on a mummy's face" never heard that one before, I like it. That being said, if my truck sounded like this when it was new I would have left it at the dealership but it didn't and I wrote a check for a modern day nice sounding truck.

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
That is an interesting theory. How "fast" do you think it goes away? I'll drive 3-5 miles before mine goes away sometimes.

Darkside

Reaction score
That is an interesting theory. How "fast" do you think it goes away? I'll drive 3-5 miles before mine goes away sometimes.
Depends on how cold it is, usually I’ll pull the truck out of the barn then go stand on the porch to have a smoke with the wife while it warms up, goes away most of the time just as we’re ready to get in, I’d say 5-7 minutes. I really wish I had a way to view real time data on the timing so I could see if it actually changes from when the truck is started to when the noise goes away… I can definitely hear the change when it happens, the noise itself is completely different in seconds, it doesn’t gradually go away.

Enve46

Reaction score
Depends on how cold it is, usually I’ll pull the truck out of the barn then go stand on the porch to have a smoke with the wife while it warms up, goes away most of the time just as we’re ready to get in, I’d say 5-7 minutes. I really wish I had a way to view real time data on the timing so I could see if it actually changes from when the truck is started to when the noise goes away… I can definitely hear the change when it happens, the noise itself is completely different in seconds, it doesn’t gradually go away.
This is actually a solid theory that I kind of tested myself today. It certainly does quiet down once its warm and retarding the timing would help it warm up quicker so I can see how you got to this theory. Once mine is warm there's still a distinct Hemi sound to it but it is different if you listen closely.

How I know this theory could have legitimacy is on my 69 Camaro's 427, the distributor hold down would gradually come lose and cause the thing to rotate and retard timing. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was seeing higher temps and falling on its face until I took a step back and thought about it. Sure enough, changed out the chrome hold down and reset timing, boom perfect. So if Ram has these 6.4s tuned to retard timing during warm up and thats causing thiss sound, there's really not much one can do

2wheelsor4

Reaction score
Today I sat in the truck as I started it and let it warm up. Sure enough, the chirp sound went away when the RPMs dropped. I've watched youtube enough videos and have done enough reading at this point to accept that these engines sounds like garbage on start up and nothing will ever be done by RAM/FCA/Stellantis. The consensus seems to be the lifters and if you plan to keep the truck a long time, buy the Max Care extended warranty.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
I had a chirping / belt squealing type of noise on cold start on my 6.4 since new, went away as engine warmed up. I have not heard the noise after installing an MPI dual exhaust, y pipe at the back of the cat pipe and then duals out the back with the quieter mufflers they sell.

Users who are viewing this thread