Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you keep something in the receiver to prevent rear end damage if someone bumps into you?

Big Tom

Reaction score
Yup I sure do. Stays in there 24/7 unless I need to tow something. It's in there because it's a 1 Ton CCLB. It takes up more than one space and too many try to park right on the bumper to get the space behind me.
I don't know why but I never walk into it when walking behind. I do however walk into my WD hitch.

Ram Draw bar.jpg

kristof

Reaction score
I will give you this advice. Whatever you install do not pick something that can damage Karen's car. Because she will call cops and you will get a ticket. Instead install something "spongy"

kristof

Reaction score
Why would I get the ticket when I was the one rear ended?
"Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch containing a ball mount and hitch receiver extends more than 4 inches beyond the motor vehicle's rear bumper, then the ball mount must be removed from the hitch receiver when the motor vehicle is not being used for towing."

techman

Reaction score
There are a lot of state laws that do require ball mounts to be removed when not towing. I can't imagine any law enforcement bothering with that one. Bigger fish to fry.

kristof

Reaction score
There are a lot of state laws that do require ball mounts to be removed when not towing. I can't imagine any law enforcement bothering with that one. Bigger fish to fry.
They won't stop you for that. But once someone calls he hit your "ball" then pretty sure you will be ticketed for that.

BAT3500

Reaction score
"Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch containing a ball mount and hitch receiver extends more than 4 inches beyond the motor vehicle's rear bumper, then the ball mount must be removed from the hitch receiver when the motor vehicle is not being used for towing."
another reason not to live in in Illinois....
My 3-6" (depending on truck) drop down ball hitch is mounted as soon as a new is delivered and rarely if ever is removed dating back to the mid 80'S.
Been hit a handful of times over the years, hittee always received the worst damage, and in one case the car was damaged enough to keep them from fleeing the scene.

Big Tom

Reaction score

True. Mine has been in the receiver of two trucks since 2017 and has not been the cause of a "stop". However if Karen did call LEO I wonder if that would result in a ticket? I'll have to look for a shorter draw bar. Mine protrudes 8.5 inches.

kristof

Reaction score
True. Mine has been in the receiver of two trucks since 2017 and has not been the cause of a "stop". However if Karen did call LEO I wonder if that would result in a ticket? I'll have to look for a shorter draw bar. Mine protrudes 8.5 inches.
Probably they will have to determine if it was sticking past the yellow line separating parking spots. This is the reason why I drive to the end of parking lot and park there. Karen will never walk that far and always have to park as close to the entrance as possible.

kristof

Reaction score
another reason not to live in in Illinois....
My 3-6" (depending on truck) drop down ball hitch is mounted as soon as a new is delivered and rarely if ever is removed dating back to the mid 80'S.
Been hit a handful of times over the years, hittee always received the worst damage, and in one case the car was damaged enough to keep them from fleeing the scene.
Tell me about it. I already bought piece of land in Michigan. If it wasn't for my wife I would be gone long time ago.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
keep those cargo baskets in the work trucks full time, a few have been wasted over the years with no damage to the trucks themselves.
A solid pintle hitch in the PW, nobody has hit it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

WisHawk

Reaction score
I made a couple hundred of these a few years ago. They worked well for Wranglers. Similar concept as jadmt.

Attachments

• IMG_20181029_103950545.jpg
    IMG_20181029_103950545.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2432jku1.jpg
    IMG_2432jku1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2420.JPG
    IMG_2420.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20181029_105748036_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181029_105748036_HDR.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 60

jsalbre

Reaction score

jadmt

Reaction score
Sir it appears as a pigeon has pooped on your hitch skid on the inside gusset weld…. :D As a welder i am obligated to poke fun

All joking aside how bad is it getting the hitch pin in and cross pinned? I may make one like that i kinda like the idea
well I have never made dime welding so there's that lol..it is not bad to get pinned but takes a needle nose pliers to remove the clip so a little theft prevention.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
well I have never made dime welding so there's that lol..it is not bad to get pinned but takes a needle nose pliers to remove the clip so a little theft prevention.
It looks solid you did a great job! I may make one similar but id like to be able to use my keyed hitch pin

Users who are viewing this thread