Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you guys find that the mirrors take some getting used to?

el_barto

Reaction score
I put Tow mirrors on my last truck (Chevy), it took some getting used to the passenger glass being flat rather than slightly convex.

That said, after resigning this thread and driving around yesterday, it would be beneficial if the main glass were slightly convex like normal car mirrors

Viejo

Reaction score
Definitely takes getting used to. Like mentioned previously the right-hand side seems to have less coverage. However, having said that, you can improve it quite a bit by really fine-tunning the position and accept the fact that you will have to physically move the position of your head up or down or right to left to fine-tune what you are trying to view.

Wileykid

Reaction score
Probably the worst mirrors out on modern trucks. Field of view towing is marginal, and when I back my trailer into my driveway, which I have to do on the passenger side, even with the convex mirror, I have to adjust the main mirror down for it, in order to watch what I need to.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I leave mine up in the tow position on my 2020 RAM 3500 dually. I simply cannot adjust the large mirrors like I have for all my trucks for the past 40 years. My 2013 RAM 2500 had aftermarket mirrors towing mirrors to replace the stock regular mirrors.

Sponge60

Reaction score
Prior to buying my first Ram, I made fun of folks that rode around with the mirrors in "tow" mode. Thought they looked really weird. After towing my RV last weekend and getting the mirrors adjusted in tow mode, I left them that way all weekend. There seems to be a lot better vision using them up for towing. All in all, I guess it just takes getting used to. (but I laid them back down after I got home) :cool:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
When I have my mirrors up I fell like I’m going to wack something in the oncoming lanes….

Just last week I had somebody smack my driver's mirror with their's when they were in the left turn lane while I was at a stoplight- and I had my mirrors in non-tow mode. If they would have been in tow mode they would have caught enough of it to rip it off. Goog news is that it didn't even leave a mark.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just last week I had somebody smack my driver's mirror with their's when they were in the left turn lane while I was at a stoplight- and I had my mirrors in non-tow mode. If they would have been in tow mode they would have caught enough of it to rip it off. Goog news is that it didn't even leave a mark.
Lucky you…. This is from a guy traveling the opposite direction in my lane i would have hit the guard rail if i went right any more….

Attachments

• BFC64B21-5A2B-4B34-9D71-D4AC369519CE.jpeg
    BFC64B21-5A2B-4B34-9D71-D4AC369519CE.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 104
  • 7ED6DBEE-9D5A-4389-A289-BA9214101564.jpeg
    7ED6DBEE-9D5A-4389-A289-BA9214101564.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 104

dm6

Reaction score
So what happened? Did it just fold it back when they hit it?

cobracnvt

Reaction score
I agree, the 2500 mirrors are challenging. During the first few days of ownership, it was really messing me up when merging to the right lane on the highway. I'd look into the passenger mirror and a car would suddenly appear right next to me. I'd turn to look and the car would be way behind me. I realized that the large mirror on the passenger side really magnifies what your looking at. I don't notice this magnification in the other mirrors.

The convex mirrors help when the mirrors are tilted up in trailering mode, as the convex mirror turns to landscape instead of portrait.

I took a couple of pictures to show the magnification, the first is a picture of a car in the mirror and it looks close. The second picture shows how far away the car actually was.

Attachments

• mirror1.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 122
  • actual.jpg
    actual.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 114

dm6

Reaction score
I agree, the 2500 mirrors are challenging. During the first few days of ownership, it was really messing me up when merging to the right lane on the highway. I'd look into the passenger mirror and a car would suddenly appear right next to me. I'd turn to look and the car would be way behind me. I realized that the large mirror on the passenger side really magnifies what your looking at. I don't notice this magnification in the other mirrors.

The convex mirrors help when the mirrors are tilted up in trailering mode, as the convex mirror turns to landscape instead of portrait.

I took a couple of pictures to show the magnification, the first is a picture of a car in the mirror and it looks close. The second picture shows how far away the car actually was.
Yes!!! That is what it is. It does look like it is right next to you, but then the BSM isn't going off and if you look in the rearview, the car is way back there. The convex is definitely necessary. It does make me a little worried about getting a topper since that rearview is useful to see that passenger side. Hopefully it won't cut down on the view too much but I guess I will just get used to the mirrors like everyone else.

Sponge60

Reaction score

Yep. That is a great depiction of our mirrors.

Ram911

Reaction score
Right side is horrible. I use both the regular and convex while changing lanes. If I see it in the flat its far back and use convex to see some of the blind spot. Kinda scary making quick lane changes.

It seems the flat is zoomed in too much and not like most right mirrors that say "objects are closer then they appear"

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
Don't like the view when folded down. I don't mind the elephant ears, but they stick out to far, especially hear on these tight TN roads. I had one torn off by a FedEx driver. Wasted my drivers mirror, and scratched the paint on the door. Total pita. I run in the tucked in position unless I'm towing.

dm6

Reaction score
I guess I am getting used to these more over time. I am used to being able to see the whole side of my vehicle , all the way down low too, in the mirror especially when parking. I just realized the big mirror is pretty useless if I have it too far in and now just have it out so I can see the next lane over. I am getting used to using the convex mirror more for backing up/parking and just seeing the whole view around the side of the truck. Also moving my head back or forward to be able to see more helps. I still have not really used the side cameras but maybe I should try those out some too when backing. The 360 view is really nice, especially to see how far forward or back I am in a parking spot.

Razzman

Reaction score
Coming from a 2017 with the same mirrors I got used them a long time ago and have learned to work with them. Yeah they could be better but it's what we got.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
The passenger mirror is so ****. Can never tell where the car is unless I use the blind spot mirror. They are even worse when backin up.

I use tow mirror on right and normal on left. I look like a *******

Last edited by a moderator:

DougB

Reaction score
Looks like the engineers finally were able to make changes to the mirrors. Hopefully, 1) They are truly better, 2) Upgrading to them on older trucks will be possible for anyone who wants to.

Users who are viewing this thread