Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Question

cruzinZ

Reaction score
Questions for everyone. I have watched several videos about cleaning the EGR and replacing the DPF cartridge. Other than doing these items as needed will the factory emmissions systems cause a decrease in engine reliability or lifespan? I live in California and would prefer to keep my life as simple as possible.

I know the best thing for diesels with the modern after treatment systems is to get them up to temperatures and use regular gas vehicles for those short trips around town. What is considered a normal amount of time in a 6.7 to get up to normal operating temperature? How often is it recommended to drive the truck on long trips 2+ hrs to make sure a good regen can take place?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
if you have a 2019 or newer there is no need to egr cleaning.

cruzinZ

Reaction score
if you have a 2019 or newer there is no need to egr cleaning.
The video I saw was on a 2020 truck with 100k miles. From my understanding the EGR is going to soot up no matter what with time. Proper care like NOT idling to prevent additional soot from happening is a must for any of the vehicles with modern emissions systems.

Curious why you think no cleaning is needed?

Users who are viewing this thread