Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disconnecting dual battery safely?

OverlandtheRam

Reaction score
I’m removing the piece of junk Karr security alarm that the dealership installed. How do I safely do this to avoid shorting anything? With the dual battery system do I just remove both negative terminals? Thanks in advance guys.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yup. Remove both NEGATIVE terminals and move them away from the battery. Wait fifteen minutes after disconnecting and then remove your alarm system.

OverlandtheRam

Reaction score
Yup. Remove both NEGATIVE terminals and move them away from the battery. Wait fifteen minutes after disconnecting and then remove your alarm system.
Thanks, I had heard that this will cause all of the Uconnect and other electrical stuff to act funky - like losing the backup camera, heated seats, horn, etc. I didn’t want to have to take it back to the dealership to get it flashed or brick my truck. Apparently it resets itself if you let it sit overnight though because it downloads all the needed updates over the trucks cell connection? So maybe not a big deal? Have you heard anything about that?

CdnHO

Reaction score
No. But I know alternative to working on the electrical system safely. Inconvenience is better than fried components.

bearcat

Reaction score
I disconnected both neg terminals on my truck yesterday to install a Pedal Monster. When I connected the batteries back up the cameras and uconnect did not work? Tried disconnected the batteries again still the same. I thought it was the Pedal Monster so I let the truck sit overnight and everything is back to normal. I guess that the uconnect takes times to reboot itself and every time you disconnected the batteries it just prolongs the reboot

Users who are viewing this thread