Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rear View Mirror with Rear View Trailer Camera

JLines

Reaction score
Got my 2022 3500 delivered last Tuesday ... hooray!! I plan to use it to tow a Cedar Creek 5th Wheel trailer ... so I ordered the truck with two new options ... trailer surround cameras and digital rear view mirror with trailer rear view mirror. I was sick of the stupid wireless rear view camera appendages the trailer folks provide. The instructions for the surround camera is pretty complete and everything makes sense ... but the trailer rear view camera appears to be designed for rear tow trailers ... not 5th wheel or gooseneck. Unlike the the power and surround camera connectors that are on the bumper with alternate connector in the bed for 5th wheel or gooseneck, the rear view camera connector is on the bumper only. When I brought this up to the dealer, the salesman said "just take it to your camper dealer and they know what to do" ... well they sort of laughed and I've got some good guys that have done some really great mods on my 5th wheel. I believe there may have been this same deal with some aux trailer connectors in the past. Is anyone aware of a pigtail kit or something that will allow me to add the bumper connector to the bed for 5th Wheel/Gooseneck use? Or has anyone simply tried moving the connector from the bumper to the truck bed?

HillHD

Reaction score
Got my 2022 3500 delivered last Tuesday ... hooray!! I plan to use it to tow a Cedar Creek 5th Wheel trailer ... so I ordered the truck with two new options ... trailer surround cameras and digital rear view mirror with trailer rear view mirror. I was sick of the stupid wireless rear view camera appendages the trailer folks provide. The instructions for the surround camera is pretty complete and everything makes sense ... but the trailer rear view camera appears to be designed for rear tow trailers ... not 5th wheel or gooseneck. Unlike the the power and surround camera connectors that are on the bumper with alternate connector in the bed for 5th wheel or gooseneck, the rear view camera connector is on the bumper only. When I brought this up to the dealer, the salesman said "just take it to your camper dealer and they know what to do" ... well they sort of laughed and I've got some good guys that have done some really great mods on my 5th wheel. I believe there may have been this same deal with some aux trailer connectors in the past. Is anyone aware of a pigtail kit or something that will allow me to add the bumper connector to the bed for 5th Wheel/Gooseneck use? Or has anyone simply tried moving the connector from the bumper to the truck bed?
I’m in the same situation as you. Possibly someone here as added another connection point in the bed of the truck. Also, I have a 2020 CC 34ik. Any idea on how to run the camera cable through the back wall? Was going to mount the RAM camera just below the stock Furion camera. Want to keep the Furion for security while inside the camper.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Option...ra-Options.6626/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Second post from the last

JLines

Reaction score
Ok ... I had scanned that thread previously ... but thought I would read the whole thing to see what I was missing. It took several hours to read whole thing. There appears to be several things discussed and it has turned into a very long & repetitive thread ... not really very helpful. It seems it would be nice if that thread were broken up into a few topics and then made sticky at least until there is better understanding of these cameras. The question I asked above was asked several times and mostly went unanswered with one person (kkerley) that did several nice pictures and a description of what was done to a RamBox version bed. So it seems it would be nice to summarize a couple of the main topics addressed and create separate sticky threads for them. Here is what I felt was different topics all addressed in this thread.
1. 2022 Ram Tow/Trailer Camera Options - There were several summaries and attachments throughout that addressed the differences in all of the options. I had actually used those descriptions previously to make decisions on what to order.
2. Trailer Rear View camera feed to mirror not working - again this was addressed very well with a video.
3. Mixing Aux and Surround video cameras - this seems like it is a problem for those that have horse trailers and also want surround cameras for parking their trailer ... but like I believe one person said ... they don't necessarily need to use surround video and Aux video at same time ... it would be an either or. But it seems there was enough interest in this concept (i.e. being able to check on load within the trailer while going down road and switch to surround for parking). Personally, a thought I had about that topic that I felt was a missed opportunity for the company was to simply add those abilities to the black box that is used for the surround video where it would have a video switch in it where it could switch between surround mode and Aux mode.
4. No bed jack for rear view camera option - Nobody seemed to have a solution for having the jack on the rear bumper AND the bed ... but it did seem most were leaning towards simply relocating the bumper jack to the bed. A part number was given for the dummy plug that would be left in the bumper by doing this. Again, personally I don't understand why they didn't simply add a video input to the surround video box for trucks that had that option to eliminate need for separate umbilical cord.
5. Adding truck bed jacks to RamBox equipped trucks - Basically the solution offered by kkerley.

I would be willing to volunteer to do initiate these separate threads as described above if there is interest ... and I'm new to this forum so I may need some input or guidance from forum leader ... but I believe the existing thread has way too many side discussions that are totally off topic. It just seems a clean up is necessary.

JLines

Reaction score
Oh and I missed one additional thread ... basically a discussion of wireless cameras as a separate topic.

Webracin

Reaction score
Just came across this thread. i have moved the digital rear view from the bumper to the bed, and the full write up is here.....

I have also made my own umbilical and tested it out and it works great, just need to install it on the camper when I take it out for the first time this year.....here is a pic of it.

Ram Umbilical.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread