Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diffs low from factory?

Transcend

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m a picky mechanic and when I brought the new truck home, I immediately went to checking factory fluids. Found the 9.25 AAM fluid level 5/8“below bottom of fill plug and 11.5 AAM rear diff to be 3/4“ below bottom of fill hole. Can not find a thing in the owners manual on exactly where the level should be. I assume it should be to bottom of fill/inspection hole?

Attachments

• 15EFE64F-F8AD-40B7-A957-E54FE25E2B77.jpeg
    15EFE64F-F8AD-40B7-A957-E54FE25E2B77.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1F23921A-4D72-4B61-BE37-AA74D0570A74.jpeg
    1F23921A-4D72-4B61-BE37-AA74D0570A74.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 40

flan

Reaction score
That appears correct. On these models to the bottom of the fill hole would be overfilled. Enjoy the new truck!

Transcend

Reaction score
That appears correct. On these models to the bottom of the fill hole would be overfilled. Enjoy the new truck!
Is there any documentation out there that actually states what the level should be?

CdnHO

Reaction score
On page 430 of the owners manual it states "For the 2500 Power Wagon and all 3500 model axles, the fluid level should be 1/4 in ± 1/4 in (6.4 mm ± 6.4 mm) below the fill hole on the 9.25 in front, 11.5 in rear axle, and 12.0 in rear axle.

Transcend

Reaction score
Well I guess that settles that! I appreciate it as I overlooked it in the manual. I knew it had to be somewhere. Called the dealer service writer and he told me to “just fill it up til it comes running out”. Seemed a little fishy. Now off to check the 8 speed tranny (helps me sleep better knowing this stuff is right).

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission​

Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.

Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - 8HP75 / FLUID and FILTER / Standard Procedure​

CHECK TRANSMISSION OIL LEVEL

To properly check and fill the transmission, perform the following procedure:

WARNING:
There is a risk of accident from vehicle moving when the engine is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is running. Do not touch hot or rotating parts. Wear properly fitted work clothes.

CAUTION:
A unique transmission fluid has been developed for this transmission. This fluid is NOT compatible with ATF+4 or any other current FCA US LLC transmission fluid. For specifics about this unique fluid see FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS.

NOTE:
Oil dye is not required to find leaks in the 8HP transmission. The oil dye can cause shift quality issues and is not recommended. The 8HP fluid has illuminance that is visible under a black light.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle on a level hoist (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure) .
  2. Start the engine. The engine must continue to run for the entire test.
  3. Using a scan tool or the vehicle information center, verify that the transmission fluid temperature is between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F).
  4. Disable Electronic Stability Control (ESC).
  5. Remove the fill plug from the right rear of the transmission case.
  6. Add transmission fluid until it trickles from the fill opening.
  7. Install the fill plug.
  8. Lower the vehicle for access to inside of the vehicle, leaving the tires at least eight inches off the ground.
  9. With the brakes applied, place the transmission in Reverse and hold for five seconds.
  10. Place the transmission in Drive and hold for five seconds.
  11. Release the brakes, slowly accelerate to 2nd gear and hold for five seconds.
  12. Apply the brakes and place the transmission in Neutral.
  13. Raise the engine speed to 2000 RPM for five seconds.
  14. Return the engine to idle and place the transmission in Park.

NOTE:
    A full transmission will have fluid at the fill hole with the transmission between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F). Do not over fill.
  15. Remove the fill plug and allow excess fluid to drain from fill hole or add fluid as necessary.
  16. Install the fill plug.
  17. Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Well I guess that settles that! I appreciate it as I overlooked it in the manual. I knew it had to be somewhere. Called the dealer service writer and he told me to “just fill it up til it comes running out”. Seemed a little fishy. Now off to check the 8 speed tranny (helps me sleep better knowing this stuff is right).

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed Transmission​

Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle.

Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case / Automatic - 8HP75 / FLUID and FILTER / Standard Procedure​

CHECK TRANSMISSION OIL LEVEL

To properly check and fill the transmission, perform the following procedure:

WARNING:
There is a risk of accident from vehicle moving when the engine is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is running. Do not touch hot or rotating parts. Wear properly fitted work clothes.

CAUTION:
A unique transmission fluid has been developed for this transmission. This fluid is NOT compatible with ATF+4 or any other current FCA US LLC transmission fluid. For specifics about this unique fluid see FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS.

NOTE:
Oil dye is not required to find leaks in the 8HP transmission. The oil dye can cause shift quality issues and is not recommended. The 8HP fluid has illuminance that is visible under a black light.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle on a level hoist (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure) .
  2. Start the engine. The engine must continue to run for the entire test.
  3. Using a scan tool or the vehicle information center, verify that the transmission fluid temperature is between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F).
  4. Disable Electronic Stability Control (ESC).
  5. Remove the fill plug from the right rear of the transmission case.
  6. Add transmission fluid until it trickles from the fill opening.
  7. Install the fill plug.
  8. Lower the vehicle for access to inside of the vehicle, leaving the tires at least eight inches off the ground.
  9. With the brakes applied, place the transmission in Reverse and hold for five seconds.
  10. Place the transmission in Drive and hold for five seconds.
  11. Release the brakes, slowly accelerate to 2nd gear and hold for five seconds.
  12. Apply the brakes and place the transmission in Neutral.
  13. Raise the engine speed to 2000 RPM for five seconds.
  14. Return the engine to idle and place the transmission in Park.

NOTE:
    A full transmission will have fluid at the fill hole with the transmission between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F). Do not over fill.
  15. Remove the fill plug and allow excess fluid to drain from fill hole or add fluid as necessary.
  16. Install the fill plug.
  17. Using a diagnostic scan tool, clear any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)
Wow! That’s quite an ordeal right there, just to check the ATF:oops:

Transcend

Reaction score
Right! Whatever happened to the good ol days of getting the fluid to operating temp and pull a dipstick? Guess they have to dummy proof things so people don’t dump engine oil or rocks down an ATF tube?

whitexc

Reaction score
As long as we are this far....how do we check the transfer case?

Yes I have a manual, just not handy and figure we can have the documentation in one place. Forums are so great like that. Thanks guys.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
As long as we are this far....how do we check the transfer case?

Yes I have a manual, just not handy and figure we can have the documentation in one place. Forums are so great like that. Thanks guys.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I downloaded the Owner's Manual to my iPhone and tablet. That way it is always handy and always have the most current one. Now if I can find a shop manual.........

Users who are viewing this thread