Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differences between 8 and 12”

BDarlington

Reaction score
I’m looking at ordering my 22 and I’m just trying to see what I would be missing out on sticking with the 8” vs 12” screen.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Not much really, if I were to do it again, I'd probably stick with a 8" instead of 12

wolfnards

Reaction score
I’m looking at ordering my 22 and I’m just trying to see what I would be missing out on sticking with the 8” vs 12” screen.

The biggest issue is that the UConnect Vehicle Health report is not available ine the 12". Wish I knew for my 21.

However, I read that the '22 HDs will have the new I connect 5.0 upgrade which looks cool.

Can anyone confirm if the UC 5.0 will support vehicle health report on the 12"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Snacksalot

Reaction score
I like my 12” so far, it just looks pleasing to the eye after you wipe all the fingerprints off it. That said the 8” is perfectly fine. Definitely doesn’t do anything amazing above the 8” and if you prefer buttons over touch controls you’ll want the 8”

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I like the 12" screen because I can see it better without my readers.

Oldmanfox problems. Others results may vary. lol

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I like my 12” so far, it just looks pleasing to the eye after you wipe all the fingerprints off it. That said the 8” is perfectly fine. Definitely doesn’t do anything amazing above the 8” and if you prefer buttons over touch controls you’ll want the 8”

To expand what I have said in my previous reply, only the top half (therefore 6") is useful for runing google/apple maps or viewing the back-up camera. 12" only uses the full screen for stock navigation maps (and it looks amazing) which I hardly ever use as they're really not as good as my google maps. The bottom half usually shows the control buttons or the media controls. So because of the split screen, you really are getting a 6" display versus 8.4"

Wmhjr

Reaction score
I think if UC5 provides the 8.4 capabilities that the existing 12 does not then it would be worthwhile. I had a '20 8.4 and now have a '21 12. Hard to say the 12 is really "better" to be honest.

Pronto

Reaction score
To expand what I have said in my previous reply, only the top half (therefore 6") is useful for runing google/apple maps or viewing the back-up camera. 12" only uses the full screen for stock navigation maps (and it looks amazing) which I hardly ever use as they're really not as good as my google maps. The bottom half usually shows the control buttons or the media controls. So because of the split screen, you really are getting a 6" display versus 8.4"

Screen size is measured on the diagonal so it's just the hypotenuse of a right triangle. So you can't say that a 12" screen is just two 6" screens. I haven't researched or measured actual screen dimensions, but coming from an 8.4 to a 12, the 12 to my eyeball looks like having two 8.4's.

I like the 12 a lot for road trips where I can have Waze on top and music on the bottom but it doesn't really do anything for me in daily driving around town. It does look impressive though.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Screen size is measured on the diagonal so it's just the hypotenuse of a right triangle. So you can't say that a 12" screen is just two 6" screens. I haven't researched or measured actual screen dimensions, but coming from an 8.4 to a 12, the 12 to my eyeball looks like having two 8.4's.

I like the 12 a lot for road trips where I can have Waze on top and music on the bottom but it doesn't really do anything for me in daily driving around town. It does look impressive though.
You are of course correct and I take back what I said earlier, however when I test drove the 3500 with 8.4" (before ordering my 3500LTD), the back up camera view appeared quite a bit larger than on the 12" split screen. But this appears to be an illusion.
Doing the calculations, the 12" screen is almost as big as 2x 8.4" screens one underneath another one.
The 8.4" dimensions are 8.6" x 5.6" (dimensions are from quick googling, the actual dimensions may be slightly different)
The 12.1" split in half is 8.0" x 5.65"
So yes it's almost as havcing 2x 8.4"

Pronto

Reaction score
It's a terrible way for auto manufacturers to describe screen size when their screens come in so many different shapes. It's one thing to compare a TV screen that way against another TV with the same aspect ratio, but there is no standard aspect ratio in the automobile industry so that measurement is not worth a hill of beans as a comparative value. It would be nice if they used area instead.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I've had both. Functionally, I think the 8" screen is better with it having more physical buttons. Makes it faster to select the most used functions. 12" just looks better.

If apple carplay took advantage of the 12" screen I would recommend the 12" screen without hesitation. Hopefully Apple will update carplay soon to do just that since these large screens are becoming much more common.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
You are of course correct and I take back what I said earlier, however when I test drove the 3500 with 8.4" (before ordering my 3500LTD), the back up camera view appeared quite a bit larger than on the 12" split screen. But this appears to be an illusion.
Doing the calculations, the 12" screen is almost as big as 2x 8.4" screens one underneath another one.
The 8.4" dimensions are 8.6" x 5.6" (dimensions are from quick googling, the actual dimensions may be slightly different)
The 12.1" split in half is 8.0" x 5.65"
So yes it's almost as havcing 2x 8.4"
Did that 3500 with the 8.4 have the 360* cameras?

I rode in a buddie's truck the other day who doesn't have the 360* and his backup cam is nearly full screen on his 12" screen. It was huge compared to the cropped view that I get. Not enough that I'd give up the 360*, but it was a shock.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Did that 3500 with the 8.4 have the 360* cameras?

I rode in a buddie's truck the other day who doesn't have the 360* and his backup cam is nearly full screen on his 12" screen. It was huge compared to the cropped view that I get. Not enough that I'd give up the 360*, but it was a shock.

You can do that with the 360 cam too. Just select the full backup camera and it will switch.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
You can do that with the 360 cam too. Just select the full backup camera and it will switch.
Interesting. I'll give that a try, but last time I did, I still only had it showing on the upper half of the screen with the lower showing climate controls and buttons for surround, cargo, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread