Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dif oil change

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I think the manual stats about 35k for a diff oil change. I am going to be changing mine soon.....75-90......was thinking of using Lucas....any thoughts on brands to use or stay away from?
I've used Lucas, royal purple and amsoil in my race cars......thoughts?

Merry Christmas to all

Thanks
Ray

jsalbre

Reaction score
You trying to get somebody shot?! Talking about oil brands is a dangerous game my friend.

Seriously though as long as you use something that matches the specs in the manual you’re good to go. All modern oils are pretty damn good. If you have the limited slip make sure you either put in friction modifier or use an oil that already has it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the manual stats about 35k for a diff oil change. I am going to be changing mine soon.....75-90......was thinking of using Lucas....any thoughts on brands to use or stay away from?
I've used Lucas, royal purple and amsoil in my race cars......thoughts?

Merry Christmas to all

Thanks
Ray

It's a 22.5K change interval if you do any police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing. If you don't do that then I'd still dump it early (the OEM stuff isn't great, but better 19+ than previous). I plan to dump my OEM fluid between 10K and 15K.

I use Amsoil severe gear as well.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
It's a 22.5K change interval if you do any police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing. If you don't do that then I'd still dump it early (the OEM stuff isn't great, but better 19+ than previous). I plan to dump my OEM fluid between 10K and 15K.

Thanks AH, appreciate the reply. Thanks for your service....I'm gonna change mine soon.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:

Firebird

Reaction score
I have 20K on my 2021 now, guess I had better start looking to get this service done. Are you 4x4 guys doing both diff's at the same time?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Dealer changed my 04.5 2500 at 30K and I did it at 60K and the gears still looked brand spanky new after 2 OEM fluid intervals, except for an expected and beautiful wear pattern.

That said, still a fan of the Amsoil Severe Gear even though I don't use their engine oil products. Nothing against them per se, I just chose not to.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer changed my 04.5 2500 at 30K and I did it at 60K and the gears still looked brand spanky new after 2 OEM fluid intervals, except for an expected and beautiful wear pattern.

That said, still a fan of the Amsoil Severe Gear even though I don't use their engine oil products. Nothing against them per se, I just chose not to.

My 05 did great on the OEM fluid too (changed at 15K and there was nothing wrong with it). I'm not sure when they switched fluids, but lots of reports of the OEM fluid being worn out early on 4th gens (pre 4.5). The fluid was shot and gritty at 15K miles on my '18.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My 05 did great on the OEM fluid too (changed at 15K and there was nothing wrong with it). I'm not sure when they switched fluids, but lots of reports of the OEM fluid being worn out early on 4th gens (pre 4.5). The fluid was shot and gritty at 15K miles on my '18.

Good to know.

joelp

Reaction score
im replacing my covers with the ARB on the first round so subsequent rounds are easy. my rear is due this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread