Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel runaway

wolfpack

Reaction score
I know it’s rare but what, if anything, does the current CTD have to prevent or stop this condition? I’m thinking something like an oil leak in the turbo causing runaway. You’d need to choke the air intake but being able to pop the hood, get out of the truck and do something before the block grenades seems impossible and likely suicidal.

Camper99

Reaction score
This is from the manual for my 2021 3500:

In case of engine runaway due to flammable fumes from fuel spills or turbocharger oil leaks being sucked into the engine, do the following to help avoid personal injury and/or vehicle damage: 1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 2. Using a CO2 or dry chemical type fire extinguisher, direct the spray from the fire extinguisher into the grille on the driver side so that the spray enters the engine air intake. The inlet for the engine air intake is located behind the drivers side headlamp and receives air through the grille.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Having this happen on my 91 Defender 110 was not fun and a scary experience... especially being on a canyon road!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Darmichar

Reaction score
I know it’s rare but what, if anything, does the current CTD have to prevent or stop this condition? I’m thinking something like an oil leak in the turbo causing runaway. You’d need to choke the air intake but being able to pop the hood, get out of the truck and do something before the block grenades seems impossible and likely suicidal.
I've never seen it for vehicles, but for machinery there is an air-cutoff plate that can be installed that can shut and completely restrict the air intake.
Would probably be an unreasonable cost to retrofit something like that for a one in a million occurrence.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I've never seen it for vehicles, but for machinery there is an air-cutoff plate that can be installed that can shut and completely restrict the air intake.
Would probably be an unreasonable cost to retrofit something like that for a one in a million occurrence.

That and likely set some sort of codes. Seen people report CEL just from having a non OEM air filter installed. Seem very sensitive to their inlet air

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The current 6.7L (since 2013?) has a butterfly plate in the intake already. I think the likelihood of a runaway would be infinitesimally small.

egr-diagram-2.png

superjoe83

Reaction score
The current 6.7L (since 2013?) has a butterfly plate in the intake already. I think the likelihood of a runaway would be infinitesimally small.

egr-diagram-2.png
The only problem is that valve is spring loaded to default to open, not closed

wolfpack

Reaction score
There’s a product out there that claims to operate that butterfly in an emergency. Don‘t know exactly how it works but it seems plausible that the valve could be operated vie the OBD port. Maybe that’s wha this thing does.

RTillery

Reaction score
My Buddy in Texas got one of those washable air filters for his 05 (no throttle plate) and cleaned it in Naptha, oiled it, and stuck it in. Fired it up and it went to the moon. He wan't sure, but he said the tach went "way up there". He had a manual tranny, but in a panic, didn't think to drop it into a high gear, let out the clutch and kill it. It sat there and screamed itself to death. The dealer told him it was shot and charged him over $20K to stick in a new Jasper Engine rebuild.
Note to self: the stock paper air cleaner works pretty well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There’s a product out there that claims to operate that butterfly in an emergency. Don‘t know exactly how it works but it seems plausible that the valve could be operated vie the OBD port. Maybe that’s wha this thing does.

That works with the intake egr valve but it does not go on the OBD port it gets tee’d in to the wiring and goes off the rpm signal (crankshaft pos sensor) if it gets too high it will engage it and it has a manual switch aswell we install them on a lot of mine site trucks due to dusty environments they tend to have more run aways, funny enough most runaways just sieze the engine not explode.

wolfpack

Reaction score
That works with the intake egr valve but it does not go on the OBD port it gets tee’d in to the wiring and goes off the rpm signal (crankshaft pos sensor) if it gets too high it will engage it and it has a manual switch aswell we install them on a lot of mine site trucks due to dusty environments they tend to have more run aways, funny enough most runaways just sieze the engine not explode.
Thanks! It is expensive but I do like the idea of a manual ”kill switch”, especially in the context of our ultra-modern, know-better-than-you, computerized systems.

wolfpack

Reaction score
My Buddy in Texas got one of those washable air filters for his 05 (no throttle plate) and cleaned it in Naptha, oiled it, and stuck it in. Fired it up and it went to the moon. He wan't sure, but he said the tach went "way up there". He had a manual tranny, but in a panic, didn't think to drop it into a high gear, let out the clutch and kill it. It sat there and screamed itself to death. The dealer told him it was shot and charged him over $20K to stick in a new Jasper Engine rebuild.
Note to self: the stock paper air cleaner works pretty well.
Yeah. There’s plenty of YouTube videos of idiots spraying starter fluid into diesels. These engines need to breathe air and nothing else.

flan

Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing even 1 cummins 5.9/6.7 runaway on the 3 forums and numerous FB pages I follow over the last 20 years. I’m sure someone will be along with a YouTube link to prove me wrong but point being it’s such a rare occurrence I def would not loose any sleep over it.

wolfpack

Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing even 1 cummins 5.9/6.7 runaway on the 3 forums and numerous FB pages I follow over the last 20 years. I’m sure someone will be along with a YouTube link to prove me wrong but point being it’s such a rare occurrence I def would not loose any sleep over it.
When I pulled the intake tube off the turbo to get to the infamous grid heater relay, I noticed a little bit of oil drops on the turbo housing. Is that normal too see a little bit of stuff in there?
This is my first turbo diesel so I lack experience with them, but learning.

flan

Reaction score
When I pulled the intake tube off the turbo to get to the infamous grid heater relay, I noticed a little bit of oil drops on the turbo housing. Is that normal too see a little bit of stuff in there?
This is my first turbo diesel so I lack experience with them, but learning.
Yes, it’s one of the lovely byproducts of crankcase ventilation being returned to the engine to burn.

Users who are viewing this thread