Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Oil Weight from Factory

heyguy

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before. Just wondering what weight oil typically comes in the engine from the factory. I will be receiving my build in about a month, it's a Canadian order. I noticed when glazing over the owners manual online it states that 5w40 must be used in sub -18C/0F temps to avoid engine damage. Should I just change the oil right away or will it come with 5w40 in it, not 10w30? Also it appears the 5w40 synthetic will be good for all temps so does everyone just typically run that year round? This will be my first time owning a diesel, thx.

Hawk375

Reaction score
Factory fill is 5w40, lowest common denominator as it covers all expected temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahhhr

Reaction score
Not sure - This thread on the 2019 HO thinks it 10w30

I use Rotella T6 - first change after after 3000 km.

Canadian tire cycles it in their sales every few weeks.

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I got mine last November and changed it at 800km because the talk was it was 10/30. I run Rotela T6 5/40 year around normally. From the frozen west/central Alberta. Last cool spell was -43 with windchill of-52

heyguy

Reaction score
I got mine last November and changed it at 800km because the talk was it was 10/30. I run Rotela T6 5/40 year around normally. From the frozen west/central Alberta. Last cool spell was -43 with windchill of-52
I'm in the same southern Alberta boat. Mine will be showing up in about 3 weeks and I'm leaning towards dumping the oil right away with T6 5w40 to be on the safe side. Unless the dealer can assure me it's already in there.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm in the same southern Alberta boat. Mine will be showing up in about 3 weeks and I'm leaning towards dumping the oil right away with T6 5w40 to be on the safe side. Unless the dealer can assure me it's already in there.
Your out of the cold season now why not wait till oct and dump it as it should be 5/40 but even if its 10/30 your fine for the summer. Im here in onterrible up in sudbury area i waited to change mine out till mid november as i was due anyway at 20,000km also a t6 5/40 user cant beat crappy tire sales

Users who are viewing this thread