Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel exhaust regen set bumper on fire!

flan

Reaction score
Or, the crosswind forced the extreme heat into a pocket, swirling above all the lower stuff, and that melted/burned the rear facia harness.
This is definitely not an unbelievable circumstance that happened.
Well, it’s all speculation on our ends. They have had the same tailpipe design since the DPF made their first appearance in the Ram HD lineup without issue but there’s a first for everything..

Darkone

Reaction score
Or, the crosswind forced the extreme heat into a pocket, swirling above all the lower stuff, and that melted/burned the rear facia harness.
not saying I don’t believe thats what happened, I just think there would be some heat damage along the bottom of the bumper

sstoner911

Reaction score
Hope FCA feels the same way.

sstoner911

Reaction score
It would have to be sustained heat for a period of time...
The crosswinds that force it up in to that "pocket" would have to keep it there since it's all open n the bottom...

This guy should play the lottery.

Porkchopexpress

Reaction score
This is the exact reason I carry I fire extinguisher in my truck. Never know what can happen to you or someone you come across on the road. The most important part is that you and your family are safe and not injured.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is the exact reason I carry I fire extinguisher in my truck. Never know what can happen to you or someone you come across on the road. The most important part is that you and your family are safe and not injured.
If it happened to me and someone tried to put it out i would stop them its easier to get a new truck than get burn damage fixed id let it burn

mcspeed

Reaction score
If it happened to me and someone tried to put it out i would stop them its easier to get a new truck than get burn damage fixed id let it burn

Getting a new truck is easier? LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Getting a new truck is easier? LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Much easier insurance pays either way its easier to deal with a dealershit than a body shop also less fighting with an adjuster to get everything thats needed replaced vs what they think should be replaced…. Plus the usual future electrical gremlins that come from burnt wires that were not changed out because of cheap insurance company's or bodyshops trying to save a buck for themselves…..

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Then you would have a 22 that honks the horn when you step out. No thanks.

Hopefully this gets sorted out before I order my 23 with the new tow mirrors and ZF 8 speed (warning, rumors present).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Hopefully this gets sorted out before I order my 23 with the new tow mirrors and ZF 8 speed (warning, rumors present).
The honking would be a quick fix since i never use the horn anyway lol

sstoner911

Reaction score

It's only when you take the FOB with you when then truck is running..

But those ugly 2023 mirrors....nope.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Is there a chance the modern diesels in our trucks could "run away"? I wanted to add one to my truck accessories so I've been checking the local stores for CO2 extinguishers to no avail.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Is there a chance the modern diesels in our trucks could "run away"? I wanted to add one to my truck accessories so I've been checking the local stores for CO2 extinguishers to no avail.
Of course they can, any diesel that has an outside unregulated fuel source introduced can run away

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Of course they can, any diesel that has an outside unregulated fuel source introduced can run away
1st, I want to clarify - I'm not arguing just trying to understand if any changes have been made to prevent it.
HPFP is gear driven but fuel tank pick up pump is electric. Wouldn't shutting ignition off stop the fuel flow to HPFP?
Every oilfield diesel vehicle in Alberta requires positive air shut off installed on them as a gas leak becomes a fuel source for a diesel. This is NOT a situation I'm talking about, only interested in run aways due to malfunction.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Less likely as the trucks now have a throttle body.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Diesel exhaust system regeneration cycle ran while I was driving on a highway.
There was a storm with rain (the only thing that saved my truck) and cross winds up to 60 mph. The exhaust was blown directly into the passenger side corner of the bumper where it swirled and caught the bumper on fire. If it hadn't been raining I would have lost the truck and possibly my dogs in the back.
The local mechanic (ASE Master Mechanic for 30+ years) diagnosed the cause.

I called Ram who sent a 3rd party investigator for FCA to report to the NHTSA.
My dealership refused responsibility claiming they've never heard of it happening.
It happened.
The dealership refused to help as did FCA (truck was purchased new in January 2020 & is under warranty).
Despite having been a Mopar guy since my first car in the 1990s, I'm done with Stellantis because they aren't Mopar quality.
This is the 2nd FCA vehicle I've had trouble with since Fiat took over.
Incidentally the dealership (Bill Harris in Ashland Ohio) gave me a run around for a month before telling me they would offer no help.
Hi @SpotonJ ,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please follow up with me via PM at your earliest convenience with your VIN. This information is private and is the reason we recommend providing them through Direct Message.

Rob
Ram Cares

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
1st, I want to clarify - I'm not arguing just trying to understand if any changes have been made to prevent it.
HPFP is gear driven but fuel tank pick up pump is electric. Wouldn't shutting ignition off stop the fuel flow to HPFP?
Every oilfield diesel vehicle in Alberta requires positive air shut off installed on them as a gas leak becomes a fuel source for a diesel. This is NOT a situation I'm talking about, only interested in run aways due to malfunction.
If the turbo seals go it will run on its own oil new engine or not its not the fuel its running on, Berta trucks run the positive air shut off for many reasons including the extended idle times can cause turbo seal failures aswell as the external gas leaks….

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that not just for the egr?

0fd0114acd80c5d3afd44075da61250d.jpg

1643859031034.png

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread