Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did ram just lower towing ratings for 25 and 3500 vehicles?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
My ‘21 3500 CCLB 4x4 HEMI went down slightly tow-rating wise but payload stayed exactly the same. WTF Ram?!?!

I’m glad I took a screenshot of the numbers they published when I first got the truck compared to today…

Why? The only thing that matters is the door sticker. In any of the unlikely situations you’ll need to prove weight. Any form from any website or manual is worthless.

Door sticker is all that matters. Your numbers haven’t changed.

Toyotaguy

Reaction score
Can you share your payload number?

I bet the change is, they decided to add tongue weight as a parameter.

Bet we will find very few HEMI trucks changed...as the GCWR is the same 2500 to 3500 and they always have more payload than towing.

But, the biggest changes will be in Cummins trucks, as they have a much higher GCWR and lower payloads

I have always stated...payload and max towing numbers are useless

You need GVWR, F and RGAWR and GCWR and do the math yourself...as everyone has a different load out.

I have very rarely came across a 150lb grown man in my life....my self tipping the scales dressed for work at 325 lbs.

Payload didn’t change on the website, it was 2186 and that matches my door sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chas0218

Reaction score
Mine dropped 200lbs towing but the payload stayed the same. I was at 16,730 now I'm 16,530.

renagade69

Reaction score
My towing went from 19970 pounds to 15,130 pounds. I saved it as a pdf the original when I purchased it in 2021.

Attachments

• Ram Towing Capacity _ Towing & Payload Capacity Guide.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 17

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
My towing went from 19970 pounds to 15,130 pounds. I saved it as a pdf the original when I purchased it in 2021.
Looking at yours...this is definitely a tongue weight deal.

The 19970 at 10% would be 1997...which is all of your payload.

So, 15130 would be 1513 Wich leaves ~477 which just happens to be the allowances for passengers and hitch.

So, you see that with a Camper, especially a 5th wheel, 15130 is not your actual useable tow rating either.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Anyone notice the vin lookup is no where to be found on the Ram website? It was there yesterday, not this morning……..

I checked yesterday just for giggles and the ratings for my truck remained the same. From what I can tell the changes are for the CTD trucks?

renagade69

Reaction score
Looking at yours...this is definitely a tongue weight deal.

The 19970 at 10% would be 1997...which is all of your payload.

So, 15130 would be 1513 Wich leaves ~477 which just happens to be the allowances for passengers and hitch.

So, you see that with a Camper, especially a 5th wheel, 15130 is not your actual useable tow rating either.
It's a massive difference that is not going to affect me as I don't need to tow over 10k. Payload is my weakness. The fact that is changed so much after buying a vehicle can really screw someone though. Not everyone can dissect the weights. You could take the math you did to the 15130. who knows if that is right? I don't trust anything they did.
added at edit.
They removed the VIN look-up. I bet its a legal issue as they originally published bad numbers.

Last edited:

copcarguy

Reaction score
Anyone notice the vin lookup is no where to be found on the Ram website? It was there yesterday, not this morning……..

I checked yesterday just for giggles and the ratings for my truck remained the same. From what I can tell the changes are for the CTD trucks?
I just looked and you’re correct - looks like they removed the section to input your vin. The mystery deepens lol…

Users who are viewing this thread