Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Derate by-pass

davewsquires

Reaction score
Good Day, I am running a 2019 2500 with the 6.7L on the ice roads in Canada's arctic. To date no trucks are immune to the exhaust after-treatment problems so its only a matter of time until I get issues with this new truck. I'd prefer to leave the after-treatment system on but if it gives me problems I will be forced to delete it all. My question is; if my truck gets put into a derate/speed limited condition because of an emissions code, is there a way to temporally get it going again WITHOUT a laptop and software? At any time I'm DAYS from a dodge dealer so that is simply not an option. The closest city is Yellowknife and it would take 24hrs to trailer it back there, that's not including the time it takes to get a recovery vehicle to me. I am only asking because I know on Mac highway tractors it is possibly to unplug the vehicle speed sensor from the transmission and run it home (obviously the speedo or cruise control doesn't work but at lease a guy isn't stranded).

Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have!

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
Legit concern. I've been broke on prairie roads at -40 and if that ain't bad enough, being broke a day away from help in the Arctic would be unthinkable. I don't know what, if anything, could be unplugged from these trucks to bypass a derate condition. The only thing I can think of that might get the job done under dire circumstances is the Alpha OBD app on a smart phone talking to the truck's PCM via an OBDLink MX+ adapter plugged into the OBD port. I haven't played with it but tech savvy Dodge/Ram aficionados swear by it to get into the brains of the beast. Perhaps worth a look.

U

User_1648

X2 on @Burn'n Oil's comments for the AlphaOBD and MX+ adapter. The only thing I will add is you will need a security bypass cable (KAODTech) since you're running a 2019+ Ram HD. I recommend checking out the website and reading up on the "why" you will need the cable. The guy who manufactures it is a current fellow HD Ram owner and contributor here. I have the setup, so if you have questions please ask.

Tim

Haas14

Reaction score
Hi Dave, off topic but did you buy the brown 2019 2500 off the lot in YK?
I know the one you’re talking about (I’m in hay river). More polar bear plates here than you’d expect apparently haha

Reactions: AFF

AFF

Reaction score
haha, no doubt. I almost bought the brown 6.7. I couldn't justify a diesel at the time but have had second thoughts. But I got a great deal on the 6.4 so it is what it is.

Haas14

Reaction score
I’m not sure about Yellowknife, but the High Level dealer will delete your truck and honour the warranty if you get them to do the work and use their software. It’s stupid expensive compared to diy but that’s another option. Ive had def issues happen outside enterprise and was left in the cold with my old 4th gen a couple winters ago. Where you’re travelling on the ice roads, all the more reason to just get rid of that wildcard altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread