Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defective tailgate

Nightrain

Reaction score
On my 2019 2500 CTD I found out that the tailgate is not properly aligned (top left side sticks out just under 1/2 inch). The dealership tried to adjust the latch pin which did not work. They recommend I send it to the body shop which I did and looks like they want to replace the tailgate because it may be twisted or out of spec. I’m concerned that is not the problem as looked over it appears straight. Could this be misaligned body panels or a bigger problem?

The whole situation is really bothersome on a new truck and I feel there is more work than just a new tailgate which is also concerning as I don’t want to have all the body panels taken off and reassembled.

Has anyone seen anything like this and am I overthinking the situation?

Thanks!

brucie

Reaction score
Seems like a valid concern. How hard would it be for them to throw a tailgate on it from another vehicle? It might take them all of thirty minutes after waking up from a nap. That should answer the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightrain

Reaction score
Seems like a valid concern. How hard would it be for them to throw a tailgate on it from another vehicle? It might take them all of thirty minutes after waking up from a nap. That should answer the question.

That’s a great idea and will propose it. I hope it works because if it doesn’t I will have a much bigger problem.
Thanks!

DieselScott

Reaction score
Agreed. Pretty frustrating.
Nightrain, I have the same problem with my new 2500. Top left portion of tailgate sticks out a bit. It's bothering me too but I've yet to take it in to the dealer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nightrain

Reaction score
I will let you know what they find out. I’m hoping a new tailgate is not needed.

Nightrain

Reaction score
FCA is now saying that having the tailgate stick out and needing additional force to close the tailgates is within spec. I was at the dealership today and every tailgate that I looked at was aligned properly and closed effortlessly. Anyone have any thoughts on this? This does not seem right to me at all, I’m shocked that FCA would take such a stance and say that this Is within spec. I do love this truck but very disappointed with the customer service.
Thanks

brucie

Reaction score
Would love to see pictures of this. Consider that if they were to give you another tailgate, it would probably be painted in a body shop, not at the factory. There is a huge difference in quality there. Is this worth that?
If you still want to go forward- read up on page 673-674 of your owner's manual. If you have already done all that, I don't know what to tell you other than to contact a lemon law attorney in your area. You have certain warranty rights, but I'm no lawyer.

Nightrain

Reaction score
Yeah I was not happy with getting a new tailgate for all the reasons you mentioned. So I offered to keep my defective tailgate and look at a monetary compensation, my thinking was if it was replaced I would still be annoyed that I have an inferior tailgate but on the other hand if this was on the showroom I would have gladly accepted the faulty tailgate for a reasonable discount.
After I offered this that’s when FCA said it’s within spec and dealer improperly diagnosed the tailgate. I’m going to reach out to a Lemmon law attorney in MN tomorrow since I am getting the run around.

The worst part is the truck is essentially brand new and dealer had it in the shop for 3 weeks working on other misc. repairs all the while I had no truck for work.

I will try post a video tomorrow.

brucie

Reaction score
I think it varies by state, but pretty much if your car is in the shop for warranty work for 30 days or more in one year, you may qualify. Google it up. There's also a thing about 3 or 4 repair attempts for non-serious safety defects. I would imagine telling you something is within spec is their way of saying it isn't broken, so we are not going to have to take back this vehicle. All these people are out there with Ram's with poorly cooling ACs and they are telling everyone nothing is broken.

Nightrain

Reaction score
That’s the frustrating thing...it’s clearly not aligned and you have to forcibly shut the tailgate. After they took that position it was clear they have no interest in making it right.

I get it that things break etc. but to take no ownership in wanting help your customer is pretty tough on new 2500 CTD Limited.

Last edited:

brucie

Reaction score
I am wondering if the bed sidewall is out of line. That would be near impossible to fix without replacing the whole bed. They would want to avoid that.

Users who are viewing this thread