Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF

Millmutt

Reaction score
I hear you, those truck stop pump islands are usually pretty dirty. Almost need to be in a hazmat suit.
I have never filled my def with a jug, looks to me that it may make some bit of a mess if you want to get the tank entirely full with a jug. How do you do it?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I hear you, those truck stop pump islands are usually pretty dirty. Almost need to be in a hazmat suit.
I have never filled my def with a jug, looks to me that it may make some bit of a mess if you want to get the tank entirely full with a jug. How do you do it?
i have never filled mine full i just use the jugs when the def light is on you can put 2 jugs 5gal in total the tank is 5.5gallons so its pretty much full no mess

hognuts1960

Reaction score
i have never filled mine full i just use the jugs when the def light is on you can put 2 jugs 5gal in total the tank is 5.5gallons so its pretty much full no mess
How long can you drive with the light on before it goes into limp mode?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How long can you drive with the light on before it goes into limp mode?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Usually you have 200 miles from when the light goes on and it wont go in to limp mode until the tank is empty and the truck is shut off and restarted so in theory you could run out of def and drive all day aslong as the truck stays running

Jankyl29

Reaction score
When I bought my 3500 the dealer included a mopar box of def with 2 jugs in there...there is a long clear hose included that screws onto the cap and has a 1 way breather valve. Stick the hose in and hold the bottle upside down until its empty.
Do the other brands not include that little hose thing ?

Attachments

• 16133028132525277142913257170207.jpg
    16133028132525277142913257170207.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 13

RV_Goose

Reaction score
When I bought my 3500 the dealer included a mopar box of def with 2 jugs in there...there is a long clear hose included that screws onto the cap and has a 1 way breather valve. Stick the hose in and hold the bottle upside down until its empty.
Yes. Every def 2.5 gallon I've seen included the hose.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
yes they all do but i am assuming he means when its full the pump clicks off but with a jug it could overflow

cmr287

Reaction score
I look for the API certification on the label. No cert, no use for me.

I’m new to this diesel thing... API Cert?

Help a dummy out. Is there in DEF Brand that lasts longer than others?

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Respectfully
Chris

All automotive fluids for the most part are api certified which means they have been tested and meet at least the minimum standards

MtnRider

Reaction score

Respectfully
Chris

It's just the little certification stamp on the jug. I have Never seen a brand without it so I wouldn't worry too much about it. DEF is DEF, buy what ever is cheapest. Wal Mart brand is just fine.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Marion Blair made a great YouTube video about DEF fluid. In summary, use the freshest, cheapest DEF that meets the API spec. Most of the DEF fluid brands are just licensed from a blender.

texhater

Reaction score
I have no technical data but I would say run whatever reputable brand you get as long as it is not opened/expired.

I have never used a jug personally, much easier for me to just pump it at a Loves, etc. Never had an issue in 15,000 miles.
Question with the pumps. How do we know the stuff in the tanks at Loves etc isn't expired? Or, what is the effect of them refilling the tanks with fresh DEF to mix with the unknown older DEF?

KeggerTx

Reaction score
Haha! We used to go get Chesters chicken for lunch and have a competition to see who sharted themselves first......

Users who are viewing this thread