Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Ok now you got me curious...so I looked up my one way mileage....960 miles.
I was average 9 MPG.

960/9= 106 gallons

106/50= 2.6 gallons of Def?

So I used 2 full jugs for sure and maybe not quite a full jug at home to top off if I remember right.

I think that math is right!
2.5 gallons jugs?

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I pump it at the truck stop.
I have never noticed it at Loves, (but I have only had my Cummins a couple weeks), but told I can pump it straight in.
Don't know how to do the math.....lol, THAT will come later I suppose.
Thanks to all for input.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I have never noticed it at Loves, (but I have only had my Cummins a couple weeks), but told I can pump it straight in.
Don't know how to do the math.....lol, THAT will come later I suppose.
Thanks to all for input.
It's usually at the truck pumps. Depending on the lines and if you have a semi camped out at the pump, you can fill the DEF along with getting Diesel.

eljeffy

Reaction score
+1 for truck stop def pump, it costs like 5$ to fill the tank instead of 20-30 from the jugs, just dont let that **** splash into the diesel inlet by accident, it crystallizes all over the place and wouldn’t be good in the wrong tank

RichM752

Reaction score
+1 for truck stop def pump, it costs like 5$ to fill the tank instead of 20-30 from the jugs, just dont let that **** splash into the diesel inlet by accident, it crystallizes all over the place and wouldn’t be good in the wrong tank
Yep, you gotta be easy on the trigger with those DEF pumps at the truck stop. Theres a couple of stations (not truck stops) on my beaten path, that I've found with DEF pumps that are more user friendly. Strongly recommend the green fuel cap, for this exact reason.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
2.5 gallons jugs?
Yes thats what one jug is.... i wish they had the def pumps here i hate the wastefulness of the cardboard and jug

Attachments

• 6005ED2A-96B8-47FC-8AB9-75D3B1CA667E.png
    6005ED2A-96B8-47FC-8AB9-75D3B1CA667E.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

hognuts1960

Reaction score
It's usually at the truck pumps. Depending on the lines and if you have a semi camped out at the pump, you can fill the DEF along with getting Diesel.
Is the nozzle small enough at those pumps?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Is the nozzle small enough at those pumps?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Yup, Its a pretty universal size, kind of like you can't (SHOULDN'T be able to) put the diesel nozzle in a modern vehicles gasoline fill inlet. I know on the big truck (mine, Swedish Peterbilt) there is a magnet in the DEF tank inlet that has to agree with the DEF nozzle (pump) to allow the DEF to dispense. This is why it sounds like Morse code coming from other DEF pumps due to folks not taking a couple of Mississippi's to allow the mating ritual to commence and clicking the crap out of the poor dispensing handle. Same as that person putting gas in their car thinking that filled up really means FILLED up. Surprised some don't jack that side of the vehicle up to squeeze it ALL in. In THEORY you SHOULDN'T be able to dispense the DEF outside of the fill inlet. No point and shoot like a gasoline or diesel nozzle. When the DEF nozzles started showing up, we had a magnetic collar ( think weighted baseball doughnut) that slipped over the DEF nozzle to open the valve.

If'n you frequently visit your local truck stop for the reasons of refueling/reDEFfing or grabbing a weenie off the rollers, get the truck stop's/service center's reward card(s). It adds up and free goodies are always a plus. Coffee, snacks, treats, even showers to others delights. Nothing more satisfying than not having to dole out coin for FunYuns and SlimJims washed down with a free Yoo-hoo. Just saying. Keep a rag and maybe a small bottle of water to wet said rag so you can wipe down the DEF nozzle prior to pumping it. That stuff will crystalize and the slob before you (no offense to my fellow slob brotheren/sisteren) and is probably the same one who got your sister pregnant from dirtying up that truck stop toilet seat we've all fear through tales of the dark. You don't want crystal crumbs getting into the DEF tank. Major travel centers have a higher turn over of product so plan accordingly.

sstoner911

Reaction score
Five bucks? Canadian? DEF is almost $3 a gallon here.

1613141353526.png

sstoner911

Reaction score
Yup, Its a pretty universal size, kind of like you can't (SHOULDN'T be able to) put the diesel nozzle in a modern vehicles gasoline fill inlet. I know on the big truck (mine, Swedish Peterbilt) there is a magnet in the DEF tank inlet that has to agree with the DEF nozzle (pump) to allow the DEF to dispense. This is why it sounds like Morse code coming from other DEF pumps due to folks not taking a couple of Mississippi's to allow the mating ritual to commence and clicking the crap out of the poor dispensing handle. Same as that person putting gas in their car thinking that filled up really means FILLED up. Surprised some don't jack that side of the vehicle up to squeeze it ALL in. In THEORY you SHOULDN'T be able to dispense the DEF outside of the fill inlet. No point and shoot like a gasoline or diesel nozzle. When the DEF nozzles started showing up, we had a magnetic collar ( think weighted baseball doughnut) that slipped over the DEF nozzle to open the valve.

If'n you frequently visit your local truck stop for the reasons of refueling/reDEFfing or grabbing a weenie off the rollers, get the truck stop's/service center's reward card(s). It adds up and free goodies are always a plus. Coffee, snacks, treats, even showers to others delights. Nothing more satisfying than not having to dole out coin for FunYuns and SlimJims washed down with a free Yoo-hoo. Just saying. Keep a rag and maybe a small bottle of water to wet said rag so you can wipe down the DEF nozzle prior to pumping it. That stuff will crystalize and the slob before you (no offense to my fellow slob brotheren/sisteren) and is probably the same one who got your sister pregnant from dirtying up that truck stop toilet seat we've all fear through tales of the dark. You don't want crystal crumbs getting into the DEF tank. Major travel centers have a higher turn over of product so plan accordingly.

The frist time I filled up at a truck stop - I have to admit I had to think a minute about "reffer" as a choice to get Diesel.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Wal Mart Supertech DEF, been using it since day 1.

DEF is DEF

DEF consumption is going to vary based on load, temps, conditions etc so hard to compare one truck to another. The newer ones seem to burn more then the gen 4's though? There was a recall on the 2019(+?) trucks for excessive DEF usage I believe?

mlink

Reaction score
Are the dealerships out of DEF or something? I only drive my 3500 for towing, so I bought couple cases of OEM and refill it myself. Willing to pay upcharge for peace of mind... Plus, I'm right there to wash off the inevitable drips down the black paintjob.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Are the dealerships out of DEF or something? I only drive my 3500 for towing, so I bought couple cases of OEM and refill it myself. Willing to pay upcharge for peace of mind... Plus, I'm right there to wash off the inevitable drips down the black paintjob.
How fast do you go through the def? Is there a date code on them? You don't want to use old def unless you want to see expensive repairs.

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
I dont see advantage of truck stop def pumps, maybe little cheaper but no faster. I would rather use a clean jug with a clean funnel i keep in a ziplock. I keep pair of rubber chem gloves just for truck stops, but how do they get them that dirty? i have seen them like they used pump handles to wipe off grease. I will pass, i top off before trips in my clean shop that gets me 4kish miles empty, if towing that extra jug of 2.5 gallons at piss break will get me enough mileage to finish journey. Blue def is 9.99 at costco, i always keep a rotated stock of 2 jugs stored(cool/dark) just incase some goffy shortage was to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread