Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF Tank, Top It Off or Run Empty?

DeadEnd

Reaction score
Looking for your best practices. My truck isn't my daily so it takes a good bit of time before I need to refill my DEF. Example, purchased truck end of January this year and just yesterday put a 2.5 gallon jug in it. Is it better to keep the tank on the fuller side (without overfilling) to reduce the amount of air and possible crystallization inside the tank or don't worry and just fill as needed when I reach 1/4 tank left?

2001WS6

Reaction score
I usually run it down to 1/4 left on the gauge and then put 2,5 gallons in. pretty much fills it.

unclelala

Reaction score
I usually run it down to 1/4 left on the gauge and then put 2,5 gallons in. pretty much fills it.
same here, heard somewhere to do that way to avoid error code? so been doing it that way since Sept. 2021 and so far so good.

2001WS6

Reaction score
same here, heard somewhere to do that way to avoid error code? so been doing it that way since Sept. 2021 and so far so good.

I learned the hard way. I believe the first time I filled my DEF tank it was half empty. I figured the 2.5 gallons would fit. Nope! overflowed. :(

Blackpowder

Reaction score
I do the same thing, dump in 2.5 gallons around 1/4 tank. On a recent road trip I let it drop below 1/4, and at 22% (from OBDmx monitor) the add DEF soon indication popped up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using a box don’t run it full, it’s too easy to overfill and have an issue.

If you use a pump you can run the pump until it clicks and not have any issues.

There is also average ambient temp to consider. DEF that is at 95° is only good for a few months.

Personally I use pumps and will top the tank off before a longer towing trip, or when it tells me it’s low. Even with our hot summers I burn enough DEF in 12-15K miles a year to not worry about it aging out.

unclelala

Reaction score
If you use a pump you can run the pump until it clicks and not have any issues.
almost 2 years of driving the ram Ive seen a pump once and that was in Michigan. I have not seen any in Ontario that I have seen anyway. Maybe at truck stops but they are far and few.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
almost 2 years of driving the ram Ive seen a pump once and that was in Michigan. I have not seen any in Ontario that I have seen anyway. Maybe at truck stops but they are far and few.

I’m fortunate enough to have a pump only a few miles from work, which makes it very convenient for most my fill ups.

I have also been able to find pumps in small towns when I need DEF on a road trip.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Other then it being messy what “issues” happen if you overfill the DPF tank?

jebruns

Reaction score
I find I can dump in a 2.5 gallon box of DEF in at 1/2 tank, so that's what I do normally.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Other then it being messy what “issues” happen if you overfill the DPF tank?
No issues other than the mess.

The sensor in the 19+ trucks have been known to throw a P203E when overfilled. There is a TSB on it.

From the TSB

DEF Level Sensor Operation:
The DEF level sensor is new starting in the 2019 Model Year. The new design level sensor uses an Ultrasonic Frequency (UF) signal to detect the proper fluid level. Previous model years use a radio frequency type sensor which operates differently, and can be less accurate.
In order for the UF level sensor to operate properly, it is crucial that there is sufficient air space between the top level of the fluid, and the top of the DEF tank. DEF tanks are specially designed to have an air space above the fluid, which is crucial for the level sensor to function. Without that air space, the UF signal cannot be returned to the sensor properly leading to a “No Echo” condition.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When it hits 1/4 tank dump a box in to get to 3/4 thats how i did it when i used DEF

DeadEnd

Reaction score
When it hits 1/4 tank dump a box in to get to 3/4 thats how i did it when i used DEF
That’s what I plan on doing. Do you think it’s better to keep the DEF somewhat topped off or is it just fine sitting for some months at 1/2 to 3/4 tank empty?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s what I plan on doing. Do you think it’s better to keep the DEF somewhat topped off or is it just fine sitting for some months at 1/2 to 3/4 tank empty?

It should be fine at 1/2 to 3/4 full.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You are fine at almost empty too you are over thinking it lol

flan

Reaction score
I run mine til the countdown comes into play then throw in a jug.

Users who are viewing this thread