Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF Tank Disconnect Question

Will_T

Reaction score
Not sure yet, but I am thinking of siphoning old DEF out of my tank to refill with new before a long towing trip. I only put 2,000 miles on the truck this past year and there is still a 1/2 tank of Def in it. This Def is from a jug I put in a year ago and had a manufacture date of Feb 2021. So, 1-1/2 years old and the truck has seen many, many, days of 90 to 110 temps. I am concerned that the existing DEF might not be great and this DEF system is really the only thing I worry about every time I get camping 100+ miles from the nearest dealer. I could just add some new to dilute the old I suppose, but I am thinking that having less of the old in there when I add the new might be a better approach.

So, my question is about the connection at the tank. The long fill tube comes over from the fill port and connects to the tank with the connector in the photo below. Do I just press the two green tabs and pull the hose straight off so I can get a tube into the tank? And then does it just push straight back on and snap into the locked position? I ask because I have seen it posted that you need a special tool to disconnect that kind of fitting, but it looks like it should be doable with fingers alone? Thanks!

edit: The reason the connection looks so tight is that I have the Titan 52-gallon replacement tank.

DEF Connection.jpg

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep push the tabs ( may have to push hose on to the tank slightly to get the clips to release) and pull off stick a hose in and pump syphon it out i have had to do it a couple times, if the truck has not given you an error i would not bother with changing it out but thats just me

Will_T

Reaction score
if the truck has not given you an error i would not bother with changing it out but thats just me

Yeah, that was my initial thinking but now I am not sure about it. I have seen so many people post about DEF error codes that say dealer must be seen and/or "XXX miles to limp mode" that I am now thinking it might be smart to preemptively siphon out most of the 1-1/2-year-old stuff. I don't want to be in the middle of the Nevada desert and get an error code. Especially since I have still not figured out who is right about my ability to clear a code. Banks insists that my iDash will clear codes and that they do it every day, both in shop and over the tech support phones. But Jimmy here on this forum, (who seems to know and be correct about just about everything), says no. He says that if I ever do get a code like a emissions error, that without a connected bypass cable I will be stuck and out of luck on clearing it. I have thought about purchasing and installing the Kaodtech bypass cable but have not done it. With that installed, I think it best to remove every time the truck goes into the dealer and my truck has had to do that many times in the first 1-1/2 years. Goes in again Monday. All minor warranty stuff that most of you guys would just take care of yourself, but I am not confident enough, or have the tools to do myself. The aux switches and the heater core bypass are about the limits of my confidence level! I wish I was more experienced as I do not like our particular local dealer touching my truck. Or, I also wish my few friends that are really good with machine and truck mechanics did not live hundreds of miles away.

Anyway thanks for the answer. I will try it again. Seemed to not want to come off easily. Maybe I had not fully released the tabs like you described. Or maybe it is just stuck a bit as it has been on since the factory. I did not want to be too aggressive with it until I was 100% sure it was supposed to just slide right off once the clips are released.

Will_T

Reaction score
Update. I got it off the 2nd time I tried. Because the connection was so tight to the Titan tank, I needed to apply some force to get it to slide off. Was a little concerned about how it would go back on but it did just fine. Siphoned the old stuff out and perhaps it was still good as it sure smelled! ;) Now just need to put in the fresh jug before powering the truck on so the computer does not sense a low volume.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Your good to go then, the kaodteck bypass does not have to be removed just dont remove the orginal OBD port and just plug the OBD plug for the bypass in when needed, my dealer has never Said anything about it when they do flashes as it is just tucked away

Will_T

Reaction score
Your good to go then, the kaodteck bypass does not have to be removed just dont remove the orginal OBD port and just plug the OBD plug for the bypass in when needed, my dealer has never Said anything about it when they do flashes as it is just tucked away
Because I use a Banks iDash which plugs into the OBD port, and would use the iDash and the cable at the same time, I will have to account for that. It has been a long while since I researched it, but I believe I saw, or someone said, that the way it would work is that the Kaodtech is wired in on one end and plugged into the OBD port on the other end. Then there is another port on the Kaodtech that the iDash will plug into.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Because I use a Banks iDash which plugs into the OBD port, if I also want to use the Kaodtech I will have to account for that. Because I would use the iDash and the cable at the same time, I will need to account for that. It has been a long while since I researched it but I believe I saw, or someone said that the way it would work is that the Kaodtech is wired in on one end and plugged into the OBD port on the other end. Then there is another port on the Kaodtech that the iDash will plug into.
Precisely its just a few plugs to swap around come dealer time

Will_T

Reaction score
the kaodteck bypass does not have to be removed just dont remove the orginal OBD port and just plug the OBD plug for the bypass in when needed, my dealer has never Said anything about it when they do flashes as it is just tucked away

I ordered the bypass and have been reading other threads that discuss how to install and use it. It is great your dealer has never said anything when you bring in your truck with the Kaodtech installed but unplugged from the ODB port. But in the threads I have been reading I have not seen anyone say that is OK. All mentions of it say that whenever your truck goes to the dealer you need to remove the Kaodtech from the truck, by unplugging the jumper connections behind the headlight switch. Nobody really gives a specific reason why other than the implication that it would be a mistake not to. Maybe I will start a thread specifically for that question, maybe with a poll asking if you leave it or remove it when it goes to the dealer. I suspect the people who remove it each time are just the ones that have posted and that there are likely others, like you, that don't remove. My detail obsessed mind would just like to know the reasons why some say it needs to be removed so I can decide if those reasons seem big enough for me to remove it each time. I would like to install it once and then plug my iDash into it and use it like that. Then just unplug from the OBD port and tuck it up and away when going into the dealer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I ordered the bypass and have been reading other threads that discuss how to install and use it. It is great your dealer has never said anything when you bring in your truck with the Kaodtech installed but unplugged from the ODB port. But in the threads I have been reading I have not seen anyone say that is OK. All mentions of it say that whenever your truck goes to the dealer you need to remove the Kaodtech from the truck, by unplugging the jumper connections behind the headlight switch. Nobody really gives a specific reason why other than the implication that it would be a mistake not to. Maybe I will start a thread specifically for that question, maybe with a poll asking if you leave it or remove it when it goes to the dealer. I suspect the people who remove it each time are just the ones that have posted and that there are likely others, like you, that don't remove. My detail obsessed mind would just like to know the reasons why some say it needs to be removed so I can decide if those reasons seem big enough for me to remove it each time. I would like to install it once and then plug my iDash into it and use it like that. Then just unplug from the OBD port and tuck it up and away when going into the dealer.
They cant tell unless they go looking for it if its not plugged in to the OBD port

Will_T

Reaction score
They cant tell unless they go looking for it if its not plugged in to the OBD port
Yeah but what I am curious about is if they did see it, what then? Why does it matter? I guess they could say because you have a device installed that allows you to mess with the computer, maybe they could claim all sorts of warranty forfeitures? So all the people that say it needs to be removed before the truck goes to the dealer are really just being cautious and trying to avoid any trouble.

edit: I just re-read the Kaodtech page description and they do say:
You wll need to remove the bypass before taking it to a dealer for any service

waveslayer

Reaction score
Nothing illegal with changing the BCM. So why would the cable become illegal. Ford allows Forscan with no issues. Forecast and Ford allow for way more options when changing things around, you're not limited to just the BCM

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yeah but what I am curious about is if they did see it, what then? Why does it matter? I guess they could say because you have a device installed that allows you to mess with the computer, maybe they could claim all sorts of warranty forfeitures? So all the people that say it needs to be removed before the truck goes to the dealer are really just being cautious and trying to avoid any trouble.

edit: I just re-read the Kaodtech page description and they do say:
Most of the techs would not look twice at it unless there was an issue under the dash by the can bus plugs

Will_T

Reaction score
Yeah, I am not going to worry too much about it. I want the cable only in the possible situation of being in the middle of nowhere and getting a def or emissions code that threatens limp mode. If I have the bypass and my iDash, at least I can try to clear the code in the hope that it stays off for at least a while and gives me more miles to get back to civilization. Sometimes towing the TT from Oregon to Utah or New Mexico, we are a full day of driving to the nearest large town with a dealer. 100 miles to limp mode would be a disaster in that situation. I realize stuff happens and you can get broken down anywhere, but if all it is is a def sensor, then having the ability to clear the code and hopefully get more miles and time to get out of the desert is what I hope for.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Will,
First, what H3LZSN1P3R said in post #2 was good advice. I've been in the old DEF situation like you were. Bad DEF will not alert until it reaches 22%. Even if it was close to 22% when you add new DEF the % will rise and be okay. Sorry you went throught the drain and replace, was ok but probably not necessary.

Second, I have two bypass cables connected on my 2020 HO. One is always plugged into the OBDII port. My truck has been to the dealer several times. When they need to port they merely unplug my cable and plugin theirs. Sometimes when they are finished they plug mine back in, sometimes they don't. They know I'm tuned and always ask if I returned it to stock. My point is, they don't give a rats what you've plugged in as long as they can get access. And, there's nothing illegal about it. The Kaodtech statement is probably to exempt them from any liability should a problem arise from keeping it plugged in when going to the dealer.

Riddick

Reaction score
Will,
First, what H3LZSN1P3R said in post #2 was good advice. I've been in the old DEF situation like you were. Bad DEF will not alert until it reaches 22%. Even if it was close to 22% when you add new DEF the % will rise and be okay. Sorry you went throught the drain and replace, was ok but probably not necessary.

Second, I have two bypass cables connected on my 2020 HO. One is always plugged into the OBDII port. My truck has been to the dealer several times. When they need to port they merely unplug my cable and plugin theirs. Sometimes when they are finished they plug mine back in, sometimes they don't. They know I'm tuned and always ask if I returned it to stock. My point is, they don't give a rats what you've plugged in as long as they can get access. And, there's nothing illegal about it. The Kaodtech statement is probably to exempt them from any liability should a problem arise from keeping it plugged in when going to the dealer.
^^^^^ Best post in this thread, solid advice. My bypass cable is installed and will remain installed full time. Techs could care less as long as they can do what they need to do through the port.

Will_T

Reaction score
Will,

Thanks for both of those. I am glad I actually did drain the 1-1/2 year-old DEF just because now I know how easy it is to do, at least on my truck.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for both of those. I am glad I actually did drain the 1-1/2 year-old DEF just because now I know how easy it is to do, at least on my truck.
Yup! Was a cheap price to pay for 100% assurance and satisfaction

Users who are viewing this thread