Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF system service required

Jdillard74

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so, I got the dreaded message along with the check engine light. Code read def injector was bad. I replaced the injector cleared the codes and it ran fine for roughly 200 miles. Message popped up that I’m limited to 5mph in 110 miles with 50% def in the tank. After a few miles it went away. Today, I get in my truck and that popped up again. Is there a way to clear that after replacing the def injector? Thanks!!

Jdillard74

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so, I got the dreaded message along with the check engine light. Code read def injector was bad. I replaced the injector cleared the codes and it ran fine for roughly 200 miles. Message popped up that I’m limited to 5mph in 110 miles with 50% def in the tank. After a few miles it went away. Today, I get in my truck and that popped up again. Is there a way to clear that after replacing the def injector? Thanks!!
Oh, its a 2017 Ram 2500 6.7

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you replace the fluid at the time of the injector replacement?

Nick

Reaction score
You can clear it with a scanner or other similar devic\

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No sir I didn’t

I would start there, bad fluid causes all kinds of issues.

Then use a scan tool to clear the code, but if the code was cleared and came back after 200 miles id lean towards the DEF causing the issue.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Found this the otherday while going down the rabbit hole. You could try this bypass mod...your truck wont go into Limp mode but everything def related would work until you can properly fix it.

Jdillard74

Reaction score
I cleared the codes when the injector was replaced. The problem now is the screen will pop up saying limited mph then go away.

Jdillard74

Reaction score
I cleared the codes when the injector was replaced. The problem now is the screen will pop up saying limited mph then go away.
Is there some kind of reset that needs to take place after an injector repair?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
What code(s) were you seeing before you cleared them? It sounds to me like you have something upstream operating intermittently.

As @AH64ID suggested, you may want to drop the tank, remove all the old fluid, flush with fresh DEF or distilled water (not tap water) and then reinstall.

Was the new injector an OEM or one purchased aftermarket?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
TLDR; it's 10 minutes of constant repetitive gum flapping, followed by 15 minutes showing 2 wires being hack spliced together, while subjecting the viewer to listen to the dumbest most annoying background music ever played on youtube.
I’m glad they used the term “Hack” in the title of the video.

That is indeed a hack job.

Jdillard74

Reaction score
What code(s) were you seeing before you cleared them? It sounds to me like you have something upstream operating intermittently.

As @AH64ID suggested, you may want to drop the tank, remove all the old fluid, flush with fresh DEF or distilled water (not tap water) and then reinstall.

Was the new injector an OEM or one purchased aftermarket?
The injector was an OEM. The only code I had was from the bad injector.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The injector was an OEM. The only code I had was from the bad injector.
So at this point you’re getting an intermittent message on the dash that’s attempting to put you in the 5mph derate? But no other codes are showing either pending or active?

Jdillard74

Reaction score
So at this point you’re getting an intermittent message on the dash that’s attempting to put you in the 5mph derate? But no other codes are showing either pending or active?
Correct. No other codes have popped up and that 5mph message goes away.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. No other codes have popped up and that 5mph message goes away.

Drain the tank, clean it with distilled water, and add new fresh DEF.

That should have been done with the injector replacement, or even before the injector replacement.

Jdillard74

Reaction score
Drain the tank, clean it with distilled water, and add new fresh DEF.

That should have been done with the injector replacement, or even before the injector replacement.
I will try that. Thanks!

flan

Reaction score
I have read step 1 is clean the tank, refill with FRESH DEF. step 2 clean crystallization off the injector. Then go from there. Seems to have had decent results in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread