Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DEF service message

Nolapilot89

Reaction score
2020 RAM 2500 6.7l Bighorn 26,000 Miles.
So I've got the dreaded "Service DEF System see dealer" Indication. I am in MT, so the cold temps could play a role as all last week we were in the negatives. However for 2 nights I had it sit inside a heater hanger (set at 60F)for 12hrs, so one would think it would have thawed in that time. I also was under the impression that the tank had some sort of heating element to prevent it.

I called my local dealer, they told me they can't look at it until 2/14. thats over a month away and I only have 125 miles till 'Limp mode". Their reponse? "park it". wellllllll Its my only running vehicle so thats not an option. I called the next closest dealer that could see me this week is in Helena, and is about 80+ miles away. Would be cutting it real close. The dealer there told me to put it in the hanger again overnight and put a heater on it. However, this probably wont clear the message and will still go into limp mode.

So my question is this: has anyone ever been able to reset it? I've done alot of reading where people say to unplug the batteries for a bit, then touch the cables together (with batteries disconnected) and it should 'reset" things. However if there truly is an issue with the pump, this wouldn't be a fix. So on that note is there any way to test the pump? some what I could possibly disconnect the pump at the injector and just cycle it into an empty container?

What I'm going to try tonight is to pull it in, heat it up, Disconnect the batteries, and while I've got some time pull the DEF injector, clean it up if needs it, and maybe drain the DEF tank and refill with fresh DEF.

Any ideas? This is making that whole delete thing look like a pretty good option at this point.... The only benefit here is now I'm slightly more motivated to finish my 4bt bronco.

flan

Reaction score
Have you recently filled it?

bearcat

Reaction score
My def gauge went crazy during a cold spell a few weeks ago and received a def warning . Put a box of def in the tank and back to normal

flan

Reaction score
its probably been around 2 months, I'm showing about half a tank on the gauge.
Ok reason I was asking was some have had that message when filling right to the top. Others have had it when using def that has been sitting around a while and the quality has degraded.

Icky

Reaction score
Tell the local dealer to provide you with a rental

Nolapilot89

Reaction score
So I pulled it in the heated hanger, threw some heaters on it, pulled and checked the DEF injector and it was clean. Drained the reservoir and refilled with new DEF. Pulled the batteries cables for a few hours, the code stayed on. So yesterday morning I drove it to a dealereship about an hour and a half away and made it there with 5 miles to spare. Surprise surprise the pump needs to be replaced. Wont be in for a few weeks, but this dealer gave me a car for the time being. All under warranty. My lesson learned here is I'm willing to drive the 1.5 hrs to this dealership from now on, as my local dealership isn't worth the time. Its disapointing since my local dealership is literally 1 mile from my house, but for the customer service the drive up the road is worth it.

25k miles and the pump went out. Luckily its under warranty. But once the warranty expires? I will be highly considering the forbidden delete.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So I pulled it in the heated hanger, threw some heaters on it, pulled and checked the DEF injector and it was clean. Drained the reservoir and refilled with new DEF. Pulled the batteries cables for a few hours, the code stayed on. So yesterday morning I drove it to a dealereship about an hour and a half away and made it there with 5 miles to spare. Surprise surprise the pump needs to be replaced. Wont be in for a few weeks, but this dealer gave me a car for the time being. All under warranty. My lesson learned here is I'm willing to drive the 1.5 hrs to this dealership from now on, as my local dealership isn't worth the time. Its disapointing since my local dealership is literally 1 mile from my house, but for the customer service the drive up the road is worth it.

25k miles and the pump went out. Luckily its under warranty. But once the warranty expires? I will be highly considering the forbidden delete.
Delete it and never look back the cold is not emissions friendly lol

Paul Rae

Reaction score
DEF 5 mph workaround: With the ignition off, turn on and hold on the right turn signal, then place your ignition switch in the accessory position while still holding your right turn signal on. On my vehicle the dash lit up as normal, then it went blank and dark, then it came back as normal. Apparently this resets the speed limitation and lets you drive again as normal. Your message will still display and the derate will probably happen again, but this procedure let me drive the reset of my trip (about 400 miles) as normal with the warning message display starting all over again. But get your system checked before it causes you damage.

flan

Reaction score
DEF 5 mph workaround: With the ignition off, turn on and hold on the right turn signal, then place your ignition switch in the accessory position while still holding your right turn signal on. On my vehicle the dash lit up as normal, then it went blank and dark, then it came back as normal. Apparently this resets the speed limitation and lets you drive again as normal. Your message will still display and the derate will probably happen again, but this procedure let me drive the reset of my trip (about 400 miles) as normal with the warning message display starting all over again. But get your system checked before it causes you damage.
First I’ve heard of that. Where did you learn of this workaround?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Does NOT work for the 19+ trucks i tried that before

wilsonck

Reaction score

What year is your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread