Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer Oil Change Prices Out of Control!

Razzman

Reaction score
Good lord! I took the truck in for the two newest recalls and asked to have the oil changed while they were at it and they quoted me $340! I said "just for the oil change? Why so much?" his answer was because that's what the system says it is! Uh no! Seems they enter your VIN and an oil change now adds any recommended services based on the maintenance schedule. Called another local dealer, same thing! Called one about 40 miles away and got a price of $138! Guess who's getting my business!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
One of many reasons to change your own oil.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
$110 here. Of course, the SM, salespeople, office staff, and mechanics are all neighbors and friends in our small town so they have to be competitive. This is the only dealership I have actually ever enjoyed doing business with. We talk life, kids, politics, current events, ask after family, gripe about the crochety owner, and then we take care of business. Their shop rate is about the same as anyone else in town, and while they have "The Book" they don't necessarily go by the book. That hasn't always been the case there, but it is now and they'll get my business until that changes (and I hope it never does).

Ronstar

Reaction score
Like was said, change it yourself. Im just looking forward to not having to change it every 3850 (owners manual), that was getting a bit expensive……

bwf1911

Reaction score
You might want to look into the mopar prepaid oil change plan to see if it is a better deal if you use the dealer. https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/essential-care.html
I have not used it, so if anyone has any experience with it or cost, do please share your experience.
I have used this on my Hemi and a Challenger and they are great as long as you are hitting the mileage before they expire. The ones I've purchased locally expire after a period of time. So if you are not going to hit the mileage before expiration either do an early change or opt for something different.

Razzman

Reaction score
For the record I always did all my own maintenance, never took a vehicle to a dealer unless it was a warranty issue. But now for various reasons i can longer do it myself so I have to rely on someone else to do so. Living in the SF Bay Area has many downsides and high labor rates are just one. A couple more years and we're out of here.

ppine

Reaction score
$400 for fuel filters is absurd. I change em.
$200 for an oil change/ fluid checkfor synthetic in a diesel is worth it to me.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
For the record I always did all my own maintenance, never took a vehicle to a dealer unless it was a warranty issue. But now for various reasons i can longer do it myself so I have to rely on someone else to do so. Living in the SF Bay Area has many downsides and high labor rates are just one. A couple more years and we're out of here.
If you're in the SF North Bay area. I'll change your oil for labor rate of beer and tacos. ;)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Just did the oil change in my Hemi.
Castrol edge and mirco guard filter $67.35 at Oreily auto with military discount.
$10 charge and the Navy base auto hobby shop to use their lift.
Done in 30 min.
even checked the undercarraige for damage.

Adam06

Reaction score
Biggest problem with any of these dealer offers (other than the price) is that if they go under, you're screwed.
Very true, I purchased it anyway. They are a pretty big dealership and purchased the same plan for my wife’s jeep. It’s a great deal, but they try to get you on other things like air filter changes at every 10000 miles. But those are things I do myself. I will be doing my fuel filters myself also . This is my first Cummins truck looks easy enough. I have a 2009 f250 power stroke and have always maintained it my self.

Users who are viewing this thread