Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer "Lot" Orders for 10 getting priority???

Redfour5

Reaction score
I decided to NOT order one after reading the thread here on orders and pricing. So, being retired, I was willing to drive to pick one up. I found two dealers with 2500's I was wanting and noted they had a bunch with identical trims and items. In speaking with both dealers about potential deals I asked them why they had so many just alike and they both alluded to how it allowed them to get them quicker from the factory and sort of implied by being willing to do this there was something else they got to their advantage. They are both middle size dealers and the one I bought from said there was some sort of priority thing as part of the deal and that they could get them this way (minimum of 10 ordered) faster than the huge dealers. And it was so hard to keep anything on the lots. My dealer "Auto Ranch" out of Ontario Idaho has to compete with Dave Smith, Peterson, Dennis Dillon (some of the biggest volume dealers in the country prior to Covid).

I'm making a trip to Indiana, so I also found a dealer in LaPorte Indiana as I was going to be in the area who had a similar set of 10 identical units. Their stories were similar to the one I bought from. The dealer in LaPorte in addition to identical trims and accessories, also ordered them in odd "low volume" colors like the National Forest Green and said he knew someone at Stellantis/FCA and "it helped" I took from this within the context of the conversation that by doing this it helped him get some quicker. My impression was that there are times when they want to "move something" (maybe not let paint go bad???/I don't know) and so if someone will take what they got and what they want and the factory need to move it they can jump up on the priority list.

So, hypothetically, let's say that dealer "knows someone" and they call and say, hey listen we have to move this color fast so if you order the today we can get them to you within a few weeks whereas doing a regular order might be months... I am speculating but between the two mid size dealers the minimum of 10 order of identical trucks and their dealer size gave them a bump up on the priority list...for sure. I asked so are they trying to keep the "smaller" dealers happy? and he nodded.

Anyone know anything about this?

Oh, as an aside, my dealer got his 10 order in (different normal colors) and ONE of them was at a lower MSRP. He called it a "special" I caught it and bought it.

This is a window sticker/Monroney from a 2500 Laramie EXACTLY like mine...at the same dealer I got mine from. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/win...81-807384614.1647187481&vin=3C6UR5FJ8NG229072

I picked mine up on Thursday last week. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= 3C6UR5FJ0NG213609

Mine, identical to the other, same dealer same time ordered, different MSRP's.

mcarey

Reaction score
Regarding the oddball color thing, I've read that they do those colors in batches once they get a certain number of them. Maybe that dealer knows someone who is aware of the number of trucks sitting waiting to hit that quota? Say there are 9 in line for that green, and the tenth would push them all through? I could see that getting a bit of preference if some of those 9 were sitting on the block awaiting paint for quite some time. I've got no idea though. Just a shot in the dark.

clotagames

Reaction score
I decided to NOT order one after reading the thread here on orders and pricing. So, being retired, I was willing to drive to pick one up. I found two dealers with 2500's I was wanting and noted they had a bunch with identical trims and items. In speaking with both dealers about potential deals I asked them why they had so many just alike and they both alluded to how it allowed them to get them quicker from the factory and sort of implied by being willing to do this there was something else they got to their advantage. They are both middle size dealers and the one I bought from said there was some sort of priority thing as part of the deal and that they could get them this way (minimum of 10 ordered) faster than the huge dealers. And it was so hard to keep anything on the lots. My dealer "Auto Ranch" out of Ontario Idaho has to compete with Dave Smith, Peterson, Dennis Dillon (some of the biggest volume dealers in the country prior to Covid).

I'm making a trip to Indiana, so I also found a dealer in LaPorte Indiana as I was going to be in the area who had a similar set of 10 identical units. Their stories were similar to the one I bought from. The dealer in LaPorte in addition to identical trims and accessories, also ordered them in odd "low volume" colors like the National Forest Green and said he knew someone at Stellantis/FCA and "it helped" I took from this within the context of the conversation that by doing this it helped him get some quicker. My impression was that there are times when they want to "move something" (maybe not let paint go bad???/I don't know) and so if someone will take what they got and what they want and the factory need to move it they can jump up on the priority list.

So, hypothetically, let's say that dealer "knows someone" and they call and say, hey listen we have to move this color fast so if you order the today we can get them to you within a few weeks whereas doing a regular order might be months... I am speculating but between the two mid size dealers the minimum of 10 order of identical trucks and their dealer size gave them a bump up on the priority list...for sure. I asked so are they trying to keep the "smaller" dealers happy? and he nodded.

Anyone know anything about this?

Oh, as an aside, my dealer got his 10 order in (different normal colors) and ONE of them was at a lower MSRP. He called it a "special" I caught it and bought it.

This is a window sticker/Monroney from a 2500 Laramie EXACTLY like mine...at the same dealer I got mine from. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/win...81-807384614.1647187481&vin=3C6UR5FJ8NG229072

I picked mine up on Thursday last week. https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin= 3C6UR5FJ0NG213609

Mine, identical to the other, same dealer same time ordered, different MSRP's.
Looks like the one you bought was a little older. Probably beat a price increase.

Users who are viewing this thread