Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer is telling me I need new engine

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
I have 2021 2500 6.4 Hemi. 27000 miles on it. I had a warning light for low oil pressure. It only happens at idle. Pressure dips down to 4 PSI. I drove it immediately to the dealership. They replaced the sensor and it did not fix the problem. The service manager is now telling me he thinks it will need a whole new engine. I have done oil changes at the appropriate time. The manager says because the oil changes weren't done by a dealer they have to pull the oil pan and check the oil. If there is any sludge they will claim I didn't do the maintenance and that would void the warranty.
Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
I have my receipts from when I bought them but the manager said he would still have to pull the pan to prove that I actually did the work.

jadmt

Reaction score
I have my receipts from when I bought them but the manager said he would still have to pull the pan to prove that I actually did the work.
if they try and deny it and you have receipts you will win that battle. I would want to be present and I would also be there to collect an oil sample and the filter so you can submit that if they try and screw you over.

whitexc

Reaction score
Love how things go right to being the owners fault, regardless of maintenance, who performed it and when it was performed. This leads back to the dealer survey thread and their ratings overall. Dealers suck.

You shouldn't have to provide proof of anything IMO. If they open the pan and find driveway sealer(oil never having been changed) then maybe they have a fight. If there is oil on the dipper and it looks decent one can assume that with 27k on the clock it has seen at least a few changes. You could also look at the filter area and see some form of residue, spillage I'm sure.

Good luck and keep us posted with the dealers name and remember that survey.....apparently it affects their pocketbook.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the big day so I will post an update. The other issue will be getting a truck while mine gets fixed. The dealer already hinted at him not having a truck to give me while I wait but I didn’t push anything just yet.

cquilichini

Reaction score
have an independent lab do a oil analysis and show the results to the dealership... could be the best 75-150 dollars spent...

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
An update so far. The technical advisor for my area has red flagged my tuck. I was told that even though I have receipts for the oil and the filters there is no way to prove that I ever did the actual service and has denied the warranty service. I spoke with a service manager at a different dealer and he advised me to tell the manager where the truck is to pull the oil pan and check for sludge but to make sure that I am there when they do it. He told me I am in for an uphill battle and need to start documenting everything from here on out.
I hate this. I am so disappointed with Dodge. I use my truck to make a living and who knows when I will have it back.

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
Literally 2 minutes after I posted the update the service manager called me back and said that Dodge has changed its mind and it will now be all covered under warranty. They are replacing my engine. I still told him that when they pull the pan to check for sludge I have to be there. I don't trust any part of this process anymore. The dealership is going to call me back with a timeline and giving me a truck while the service is getting done.

pizzatots

Reaction score
Do they know what the actual issue with the motor is?

This is creepy. Since COVID and having high risk family members, I've been changing my 1500's oil at home. Bought from amazon or filters at the dealer... and I enter the records online. This is crap the dealer would tell you this. Certainly makes me worry if anything happens to my current truck, or future 6.4 2500.

Tattoosruinyourlife

Reaction score
Do they know what the actual issue with the motor is?

This is creepy. Since COVID and having high risk family members, I've been changing my 1500's oil at home. Bought from amazon or filters at the dealer... and I enter the records online. This is crap the dealer would tell you this. Certainly makes me worry if anything happens to my current truck, or future 6.4 2500.
I was not told yet what the actual issue is yet. I will be talking to the dealer this morning and find out more.

techman

Reaction score
Glad it's working out, but I agree with others. How can anyone make a blame call without a clear cut diagnosis? The motor is bad....most likely your fault?! WTF?

Nick

Reaction score
I knew that dealer was full of it . Did he expect you to be taking videos of your oil changes ? The only sludge is between his ears .

Users who are viewing this thread