Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealer claims...

MobyDick

Reaction score
I’ve noticed after during the first 700 miles on my truck that the alignment seems to be off a little. Holding the wheel close to the 1 o’clock position for the truck to track straight. If held at the 12 o’clock like it should be the truck while change lanes. Well after a appointment yesterday with my dealer that claim the alignment is within spec and that is just characteristics of a solid front axle truck... I did however see the alignment sheet and everything is in the green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
My steering wheel was off upon delivery, i adjusted it myself using the collar on the drag link, a lot easier then going to the dealer.

MobyDick

Reaction score
My steering wheel was off upon delivery, i adjusted it myself using the collar on the drag link, a lot easier then going to the dealer.

Hmmm maybe I should look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npurdy1112

Reaction score

Could you tell us which way you needed to adjust the wheel and which direction you adjusted the collar?

Same here on my 3500. If I hold straight the truck wants to go left, to drive straight I have to hold a little right, probably around 1 like OPs

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
these trucks are notorious for bad alignment from the factory.

flan

Reaction score
So if I remember correctly my wheel was off to the right around 1:00. I don’t recall which way the collar turns, but it will be quite obvious quickly if you go the wrong direction. It will just make it worse. My method was put the wheel at the 1:00 position then turn the collar til it brought it back to the 12:00 position. Tighten up and go for a test drive. You can’t screw up your actual alignment doing this, that’s a separate collar.

GeauxCrush

Reaction score
So if I remember correctly my wheel was off to the right around 1:00. I don’t recall which way the collar turns, but it will be quite obvious quickly if you go the wrong direction. It will just make it worse. My method was put the wheel at the 1:00 position then turn the collar til it brought it back to the 12:00 position. Tighten up and go for a test drive. You can’t screw up your actual alignment doing this, that’s a separate collar.
Could you post a picture of the drag link adjustment piece? I’m not very mechanically inclined, and want to make sure I’m adjusting the correct piece. Also, what did you torque yours to after?

flan

Reaction score
If you find the steering box on the driver side frame, follow the link that goes down to the axle. The adjustment is about a foot away from the steering box.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Turbo diesel register has a lot of info on this. Users on there have the recommended alignment specs to use. Factory “in specs” will chop up the tires in short order.

Users who are viewing this thread