Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead battery = can’t kill power.

woody284

Reaction score
Son and I went to the hunting lease last night to do some work. He went fishing at the pond and I returned to the truck. I hit the start button to turn on the auxiliary power. About that time he calls me to the pond to see his catch. I walk the 75 yards to the pond, stay about 10 minutes and go back the the truck to load everything up. I go to start the truck and it just clicks. Dash lights all on, says truck not in park. I’m like crap not now. There is no one around.

The part I’m confused about is there was a running noise under the hood, something still running but the start button wouldn’t turn everything off, ( still wish I had a key) Not know how long it would run or how long I was going to be there I was Afraid of damaging something, so I grabbed some pliers and disconnected the battery. I called a friend who came and gave me a jump and it fired right up. Truck is a 2019 with original battery, maybe time for a new one but this is my first experience with the push button feature and a weak or dead battery.

I took a video but it will not post. The noise was coming from a small black (coke can size) canister between the battery and fan shroud. Fuel pump maybe??? I dunno.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I would get a new battery or at the least have it tested. I had the same noise with mine before the battery took a dump, installed a new battery and hasn't happened since. I don't think I got more than 2 years out of the OEM battery.

woody284

Reaction score
Went and had it tested today. First parts store hooked the tester up and said it told them bad battery. They didn’t have a replacement so I went to a different branded parts store.

This time the guy said his tester says good battery and goes into detail saying it is marked 730 CCA on the battery and 640 on the tester. He also say it was showing the charge percentage was lower than optimal but didn’t recommend buying a new battery today. He said slow charge it over night and then watch it.

The truck was driven, started and turned off multiple times throughout the day. It seemed normal all day. I’m not sure what to think.

woody284

Reaction score
Truck started normal two different times this morning after being on the charger over night. Charger said it charged to 100 percent. I drove to the barn to load some things for about 15 minutes and left the door open with the truck off. What do you know it wouldn’t start. Time for that new battery. I went with the H7 Everstart AGM 850 CCA from WalMart. $167 after core rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread