Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Oil Pressure Gauge seems weird

jeepkevin

Reaction score
I have 500 miles on my 21' 2500 6.4 and just noticed that the oil and volt gauge aren't needles, they seem to be digital markers. When truck is off, you don't see the needles, when you start the needles just seem to appear at appx the half way mark. The oil needle sits half way at idle and jumps up a bit with any throttle. The digital pressure gauge summary fluctuates with rpm but needle is either half or up a bit. I'm guessing this is normal? Never had digital needles before.

Buzzb

Reaction score
I have 500 miles on my 21' 2500 6.4 and just noticed that the oil and volt gauge aren't needles, they seem to be digital markers. When truck is off, you don't see the needles, when you start the needles just seem to appear at appx the half way mark. The oil needle sits half way at idle and jumps up a bit with any throttle. The digital pressure gauge summary fluctuates with rpm but needle is either half or up a bit. I'm guessing this is normal? Never had digital needles before.
Depending on what screen you have you should be able to customize it to get actual numbers. Volt meter should read around 14.2 to 14.4 volts when running. Oil pressure should be higher when you first start and as the oil heats up it should lower a bit. It should also get higher pressures under more acceleration. As long as you have oil pressure that's the important part.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all computer generated from ECM data anyway. Can't say on the Hemi, but the Cummins doesn't even have a true oil pressure sensor anywhere in the block.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's all computer generated from ECM data anyway. Can't say on the Hemi, but the Cummins doesn't even have a true oil pressure sensor anywhere in the block.
Interesting.... i have not looked but im sure they would have a sender on them all my older cummins had a pressure sender

Edit, after a quick part search i have found a listing for an oil pressure sender.....

jeepkevin

Reaction score
Last night I looked at the volt and oil pressure gauge and you can see how they are segmented such that the needles have positions they light up at. They don't have a clean sweep, just light up positions.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.... i have not looked but im sure they would have a sender on them all my older cummins had a pressure sender

Edit, after a quick part search i have found a listing for an oil pressure sender.....

Perhaps I'm mistaking it for the oil temp sensor... I know I saw one of them didn't really exist.

Txjimmy

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 3500 last night. This morning I thought those two gauges had stopped working and was about to call the stealership about it. The markers are difficult to see when the sun shines on them. Google lead me to this post. Thank you for sharing it.

Users who are viewing this thread