Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dash Cam Recommendations

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Anyone running a dash cam that they like? Looking to pick a couple up for my wife’s car and my new truck when it arrives. So many options, I’m sure most would be OK. Just looking for folks with experience using them and pros/cons of whatever model you have.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I bought mine on Amazon for like $30. Think the brand was Bayokov. It had excellent reviews. Routed the wire through the headliner, down the pillar and through the dash. Plugs tight in to the 12v outlet in the center stack. Comes on and off with the truck and records on an SD card in a loop. Picture quality is great. I use one in my wife's vehicle too and that one works great as well. Can't beat it for what I paid.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I bought mine on Amazon for like $30. Think the brand was Bayokov. It had excellent reviews. Routed the wire through the headliner, down the pillar and through the dash. Plugs tight in to the 12v outlet in the center stack. Comes on and off with the truck and records on an SD card in a loop. Picture quality is great. I use one in my wife's vehicle too and that one works great as well. Can't beat it for what I paid.
This one?

Byakov Dash Cam, 1080P Dash Camera for Cars with 170° Wide Angle, Car Camera with Night Vision, WDR, G-Sensor, Parking Monitor, Loop Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FXBB9VJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1Q8YS8A801065TW4F0XS

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Yup that's the one. Have had both for 6 months now... No issues.

Will_T

Reaction score
Because I pull a TT most of the time with my truck, I use the Haloview RD10. It mounts as a rear view mirror, over the trucks existing rear view mirror, and has a rear view camera for the back of the TT and a forward facing dash cam that is part of the RD10 itself. When the TT is not connected, it functions as a normal rear view mirror. Of course with this installed, you can not use the truck's OEM mirror. That is OK with me as I have a cap on the bed and replaced the cab top stop light that had the bed and rear view cameras with a low profile light so don't have those OEM cameras anyway. I like the RD10. It is wireless and never drops the signal with my 30' TT.

Herrred

Reaction score
I have had a Rexing V1 for 6 years and tens of thousands of miles. I've though about "upgrading" with GPS and other bells and whistles, but I paid $79 for it and it's still working as new. There's a buttload of different cams out there, each touting it's technology, but I'll stick with this one.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Blackvue or Thinkware.

My roommate in college had a blackvue in his mustang and it worked good. I have always had Thinkware cameras in my vehicles and just added one to my new truck too. I like that they have plug and play OBD-II wiring so no splicing is required.

kennelpj

Reaction score
I have had a Rexing V1 for 6 years and tens of thousands of miles. I've though about "upgrading" with GPS and other bells and whistles, but I paid $79 for it and it's still working as new. There's a buttload of different cams out there, each touting it's technology, but I'll stick with this one.
I had one of these as well for about 18 months while living in San Diego. I drove to Scottsdale, AZ for some spring training games in March and the sun coupled with my windshield reflector cooked the thing. Battery swelled up and pushed the screen and components out. Loved it until then. So if you live somewhere hot, keep that in mind. Bought a VIFO A129 Pro Duo but am waiting for my '22 to arrive before installing.

love2build

Reaction score
Been a Blackvue user for years. Installed Thinkware in wife’s car and while it works, the UI is super clunky and I’ve had to turn lots of notifications off because it talks a lot. I’m putting the latest Blackvue DR900x plus with a backup battery this week.

~~Mutt~~

Reaction score
Picked up a BlackVue DR900X-2CH IR (Infrared) Plus 4K and been using the SanDisk 512GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I card with no issues in the wife's car for about a year now but have retired it to go into the 22 Mega Limited I just ordered.. To replace the wife's cam I have done some heavy research on the newest cams and watched all kinds of comparison vids. Purchased the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K Dual Dash Cam 3840 x 2160P Ultra HD 4K with the Bluetooth remote during the Black Friday deals.. Under $250.. That was a deal. Going to install it as soon as we get the car from the guy doing the ceramic coating sometime today. From the videos on utube..top 3 dual cams..my opinion.. are Blackvue..Viofo and the Thinkware.. The key is to get a micro card that is not a clone fake.. Hope it is ok to link here to some important info on sd cards.. I am not associated with them in any way but I trust this article..

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
We sell a medical device that uses flashcards. One of our OEM customers bought 80 Sandisk SD cards from a big box store. They started calling us when they didn't work properly. Turns all 80 cards were counterfeit.

I do not buy cards from Amazon. Too many fakes. I usually buy my cards straight from Delkin Devices.

love2build

Reaction score
I run Sandisk usually without issue and mostly from Amazon lol. I’ve never really had much issue except after a year or so when the cards burn out from continued writing. Oh and I have run BlackVue for many years without issue. Love the interface and I do run with a battery backup. I find that doing so isolates the dashcam from the truck electronics making for less hassle in the long run what with all the modern electronics in these things…

Last edited:

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I run a thinkware f800 in my personal. Good quality cam. Footage is great. Has nice features. Used an obd cable for power. Super easy to install. Automatically goes into parking mode and has settings for low voltage cut off. Good field of view.

Run a Garmin in my work truck. Footage is more than adequate. What sets it apart. Is the app. It's so goddamn easy to use it makes it a more friendly cam.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
There are several reliable sdcard test utilities to verify capacity.
True, and it is a great idea for the typical user. I am primarily worried about speed and reliability for my cameras. The tests can show speed but not reliability. For work, we purchase fixed BOM industrial grade SLC memory cards that are good for millions of read/write cycles. Your typical consumer cards are MLC cards which are usually only good for 200,000 or so writes. 200,000 sounds like a lot, but when you look at how often the FAT table is updated you can start wearing a card out quickly. Better consumer grade cards do employ wear-leveling to extend the card's life.

For my cameras, I go with the best card I can afford. I have been looking at dashcams lately. I would think a dashcam could wear out a consumer grade card in a year or two in a daily driver. A counterfeit card in probably less time. Seems a good consumer grade card is a good compromise if it isn't a counterfeit.

OK, I think I have had too much coffee this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread