Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily driving a prospector XL?

Savin yours

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Longhorn 3500 dually now, but seriously looking at a PXL. Just wondering about daily driving this monster on 40’s. I realize that it’s only a 3” lift…but as far as driving around town, long trips, towing, ect…I have a Tacoma that’s my daily driver, but this will be used for most long trips. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thrust

Reaction score
I have a 2020 PXL. My only complaint re daily driving is the truck is excruciatingly slow. The trans also has long delays between shifts that makes driving in city traffic a challenge.

Keep in mind that my last truck was a tuned 2nd gen raptor, however.

The positives are the aev suspension is very compliant and composed. I would consider its on road manners as better than stock.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Savin yours

Reaction score
I have a 2020 PXL. My only complaint re daily driving is the truck is excruciatingly slow. The trans also has long delays between shifts that makes driving in city traffic a challenge.

Keep in mind that my last truck was a tuned 2nd gen raptor, however.

The positives are the aev suspension is very compliant and composed. I would consider its on road manners as better than stock.

This certainly helps. We will be using it mostly for travel/camping, not so much daily driving. Would you have any reservations with driving it across the country? I’m just trying to figure out, if I really need the XL or the regular one. I’m just in love with the 40’s and fender flares!

regal2800

Reaction score
This certainly helps. We will be using it mostly for travel/camping, not so much daily driving. Would you have any reservations with driving it across the country? I’m just trying to figure out, if I really need the XL or the regular one. I’m just in love with the 40’s and fender flares!

Why are you getting rid of the dually? I test drove aev prospector and it was very slow…..

Savin yours

Reaction score
Why are you getting rid of the dually? I test drove aev prospector and it was very slow…..

We want an expedition vehicle, for travel(slide in camper). I didn’t really want a dually when I got it, but it was all I could find with a long bed.

Pizziola29

Reaction score
I have a ‘19 Longhorn 3500 dually now, but seriously looking at a PXL. Just wondering about daily driving this monster on 40’s. I realize that it’s only a 3” lift…but as far as driving around town, long trips, towing, ect…I have a Tacoma that’s my daily driver, but this will be used for most long trips. Thanks

I just got my 2022 PXL a few months ago. 5200 miles on it already. Full on daily driver for me. Coming from the jeep world, and having a gladiator gas and then gladiator diesel with 40's and 42's I know all too well sluggishness. Mine was rectified by the Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster on the jeeps and now my ram. https://bankspower.com/products/data-logger-gauge-66761-derringer-tuner I got both and just like my diesel gladiator, it 100% fixed my lag and helped dial in the daily driving I do.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Thanks for you’re insight. Care to say why? That’s why I started this thread.

Have you driven anything on lifted on 40's? That's not a punitive response, but a genuine question.

The truck will accelerate slower, brake terribly, handle like ass, and generally move around the highway/change lanes similar to the Titanic in the North Atlantic.

If, on your day commute, you never see any other vehicles on the road, you may be fine.

if you live in a populated area, no way in hell that will be an enjoyable DD experience.

Also--Please give us your thoughts on your dually as a DD.

BadRam3500

Reaction score
I have a 3500 with a carli dominator on 42’s and wilwood brakes . You can easily daily it . It’s not too slow off the line . On the Highway it really moves . I have the banks intake and manifold and pedal monster .
Night and day
Just get used to parking far and forget about parking garages

thrust

Reaction score
Have you driven anything on lifted on 40's? That's not a punitive response, but a genuine question.

The truck will accelerate slower, brake terribly, handle like ass, and generally move around the highway/change lanes similar to the Titanic in the North Atlantic.

If, on your day commute, you never see any other vehicles on the road, you may be fine.

if you live in a populated area, no way in hell that will be an enjoyable DD experience.

I agree about the sluggish acceleration but braking is fine and handling is improved over stock. It's fine to DD if you're ok with tuning or adding one of the piggyback pedal commander type boxes.

Savin yours

Reaction score

No sir, I haven’t. That’s why I was asking here. I know that AEV has higher quality stuff, so I was wondering. I don’t plan on DD this truck, just looking for driving issues in normal/regular driving.
I don’t DD the dually, it’s mostly used for towing camper and flat bed trailers. But it’s a great truck. My 2nd Cummins….2010 3/4 before this one. I love these trucks

gimmie11s

Reaction score
No sir, I haven’t. That’s why I was asking here. I know that AEV has higher quality stuff, so I was wondering. I don’t plan on DD this truck, just looking for driving issues in normal/regular driving.
I don’t DD the dually, it’s mostly used for towing camper and flat bed trailers. But it’s a great truck. My 2nd Cummins….2010 3/4 before this one. I love these trucks

All good.. im just becoming a bigger (admittedly) cry baby in my older age. If I didn't live in SoCal, maybe I wouldn't be so jaded on daily drivers haha

Savin yours

Reaction score
All good.. im just becoming a bigger (admittedly) cry baby in my older age. If I didn't live in SoCal, maybe I wouldn't be so jaded on daily drivers haha

Lol, Texas is great!

Pizziola29

Reaction score
Where in so cal? I am in the OC. Live in Yorba Linda.

CVDaddy

Reaction score
I DD my PXL and love it. 25,000 miles so far. Park way out in lots. Always seems some dingus will park right next to me while I'm inside. Maybe their Honda needs shade or a bodyguard. Parking garages are a hard no. Truck is 86" tall. I drove it from AEV in Michigan to Denver and have been to KC and back, only complaint is on some concrete highways the seams hit a harmonic that causes the truck to bounce and jiggle my beer belly. Rides better than stock by far. I don't know what others are used to driving, but I think it's plenty fast. I don't take it downtown, but out in the suburbs it's great.

Savin yours

Reaction score
I DD my PXL and love it. 25,000 miles so far. Park way out in lots. Always seems some dingus will park right next to me while I'm inside. Maybe their Honda needs shade or a bodyguard. Parking garages are a hard no. Truck is 86" tall. I drove it from AEV in Michigan to Denver and have been to KC and back, only complaint is on some concrete highways the seams hit a harmonic that causes the truck to bounce and jiggle my beer belly. Rides better than stock by far. I don't know what others are used to driving, but I think it's plenty fast. I don't take it downtown, but out in the suburbs it's great.

Thank you
I think I’ve pretty much decided on a regular prospector. I think it will fit my needs better, although not look as good! Lol

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
If sluggishness scares you, take a detour on your road trip and come to Canada and enjoy the fruits of your and Cummins' labours by deleting and getting a healthy tune to get your trans to react better and more hp.

Users who are viewing this thread