Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Driver - Issues without being deleted?

bamorris2

Reaction score
I only tow ~10k. However, it has a large frontal area (wind resistance) and we have substantial grades.

I'm going to put an order in today and am 90% sure I'm going with the 7.3. Thx everyone!

Towing that on a weekly basis and in mountains is suitable for the diesel motor. You don’t “need” it, but don’t let the emissions troubles scare you away if that what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
There are plenty of great tunes And the only issue with the emmisions on these trucks is DEF freezing so if your not in the frozen land of Canada you should be fine running it emissions intact… just for reference i drive 14KM daily to work and no emissions issues other than frozen DEF in -40°

No tunes yet for the 22.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
There are plenty of great tunes And the only issue with the emmisions on these trucks is DEF freezing so if your not in the frozen land of Canada you should be fine running it emissions intact… just for reference i drive 14KM daily to work and no emissions issues other than frozen DEF in -40°
I personally haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood) including freezing. To be honest it is usually parked for the winter but I did use it occasionally and in very cold temps, I just plug it in the night before and flip the switch on from inside the house a few hrs before I needed to drive it.
We don't have many Canadians on this forum but you're the only one who's talking about constant freezing issues which let me to believe it is your particular truck that has something going on with it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I personally haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood) including freezing. To be honest it is usually parked for the winter but I did use it occasionally and in very cold temps, I just plug it in the night before and flip the switch on from inside the house a few hrs before I needed to drive it.
We don't have many Canadians on this forum but you're the only one who's talking about constant freezing issues which let me to believe it is your particular truck that has something going on with it.
Like i have said before both local dealerships are swamped with def freezing issues i know 5 guys with the same issue as me only seems to be an issue when its below -30

Nick

Reaction score
One of the main drivers for diesel being higher than gas is because the taxes are higher . This because it is the primary energy source for commercial vehicles . AZ is about the only state that has a lower tax for light trucks and RV's . The rest just want to gouge everybody that uses diesel .

Nick

Reaction score
Like i have said before both local dealerships are swamped with def freezing issues i know 5 guys with the same issue as me only seems to be an issue when its below -30
It seems to me that they should winterize these def tanks that are used in extreme temps . Insulation of tanks and a more robust heater element .

kennelpj

Reaction score
I bought a cummins because I hadn't had a diesel yet, will likely have an RV in the next year or so, and may be moving to a region with mountains. In the meantime it's my DD (with a few exceptions as I also have an off-road jeep). I have 7k miles so far, but the last 1k were mostly city. Last 3 or 4 regens have been around town and not on the highway. So far so good. Not sure how the more frequent regens will have an effect later down the line though, as the mostly city driving does fill the DPF fast. I too am curious of others using it as a DD. Some buyers remorse wishing I would have just gotten the 3500 gasser for the payload and no DPF stress, but I think it's all in my head at this point. I work from home so most driving right now is errands or staying 20-ish min from home.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to me that they should winterize these def tanks that are used in extreme temps . Insulation of tanks and a more robust heater element .

I don't disagree, but the system is supposed to be designed to deal with freezing and there should be code in there to override that stupid derate/dealer visit if the temps are below the freezing point of DEF.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but the system is supposed to be designed to deal with freezing and there should be code in there to override that stupid derate/dealer visit if the temps are below the freezing point of DEF.
There is programing the issue is the damn ultra sonic sensors and the piss poor heating element thats the flaw with the system if they had a float and bigger heating element/ insulated tank it would be fine id imagine… the 14-18 had a way better system in my opinion.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I read somewhere that DEF is essentially off for a while on freezing days and until after the tank has thawed. Obviously it doesn't work as designed (or badly designed) if people are still having issues with it.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
OP screwed up and bought a gas.

Towing every week in the hills is text book "must have diesel" territory.

Darmichar

Reaction score
The issue isn't so much with the DEF freezing, it's the trucks ability to thaw it in a reasonable amount of time in order for the aftertreatment to use it when it needs to.
If the DEF is still frozen when the aftertreatment calls for injection, it freaks out and starts assuming the system has failed. It will generally throw codes that can only be reset at the Dealer.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
Buy the Ford!
(That way he will not blame us if something goes wrong with the Cummins and emissions system.) :)
Yes I know....he ordered the Ford.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
The issue isn't so much with the DEF freezing, it's the trucks ability to thaw it in a reasonable amount of time in order for the aftertreatment to use it when it needs to.
If the DEF is still frozen when the aftertreatment calls for injection, it freaks out and starts assuming the system has failed. It will generally throw codes that can only be reset at the Dealer.
Complaint often enough at the dealer and they will delete your truck or gift you the code reset device.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Nope it has nothing to do with that its the ultra sonic sensors and piss poor heater… i have discussed it in length at the dealershit talking about the common failure points also at -40 ambient temp plus the windchill of driving 65-70mph there is 0 chance of the little wrinky dink heater thawing any usable amount of DEF out so it just forms crystals on everything… who ever thought ulrasonic level sensor was a good idea is an idiot

BikePilot

Reaction score
Congrats, by all accounts Ford 7.3 is a great rig. I'd go the same route if going for gas which I think makes pretense for your use case.

Users who are viewing this thread