Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins tick noise after shut down and vibration

wpgram

Reaction score
Hi, im new to the cummins world and im wondering if anyone else has this.

After i turn off the truck i get a few ticking sounds from the engine... I have 1900 KM on the truck. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS THAT THIS IS NORMAL

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THIS WOULD BE?
Second i have a small vibration at 65km/hr i feel it start at 63 and by 68 its gone. mostly in the pedel i feel it and can slightly hear it. only think i have done to the truck is put 35" duratracs on.

Last edited:

MegaDave

Reaction score
The ticks are normal. The truck is doing it’s thing. I’ve heard it’s DEF related but definitely normal. Mine does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to HDRams!

The sound is the DEF system purging to prevent evaporation in the heat, or freezing in the cold.

Check your tire balance.

Say goodbye to your warranty.

wpgram

Reaction score
Thanks! i was thinking tire too...

Ya i know about the warranty.... the local installers make it look 100% stock.. so we will see

patricio2626

Reaction score
You know wpgram, I also thought about doing delete for power + mileage but then I came across this: https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/cme-ez-1319/ (Calibrated Power EZ LYNK AutoAgent 2.0). You're supposed to be able to flash back to stock in case you need to not leave any fingerprint. Claims to be well-mannered, no drone, no smoke, leaves emissions devices intact.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it all depends on how deep fca wants to investigate. a ton of folks get by with having programmers, just realize that the collective "you" are taking a risk of warranty coverage debates with the mfg. that's all I'm saying.

no, reflashing won't do anything but put another tick mark on the flash count table.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score

After i turn off the truck i get a few ticking sounds from the engine... I have 1900 KM on the truck. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS THAT THIS IS NORMAL

Second i have a small vibration at 65km/hr i feel it start at 63 and by 68 its gone. mostly in the pedel i feel it and can slightly hear it. only think i have done to the truck is put 35" duratracs on.
Interesting note about the tick. My 2019 did it until----threw a code and took it to the dealer. Said it had something to do with the louvers that control air flow to and around the raditor. Couldn't get it to reset so he reflashed the EPROM or computer or what ever. Cleared the check engine light and now it no longer ticks. Should I take it back? Inquiring minds wanr to know.

polcat

Reaction score
To me, the ticking noise sounded like it was coming from the EGR valve assembly. But then again, I didn't bring out my stethoscope to pinpoint the location.

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Interesting note about the tick. My 2019 did it until----threw a code and took it to the dealer. Said it had something to do with the louvers that control air flow to and around the raditor. Couldn't get it to reset so he reflashed the EPROM or computer or what ever. Cleared the check engine light and now it no longer ticks. Should I take it back? Inquiring minds wanr to know.
Correction, it is now backing ticking. Oh well.

Walstib52

Reaction score

I've got a 21 RAM 2500 4WD HD BH with cummins. Right after shut down, I get a "chick a, chick a, chick a, chick a, chick a, chick a" sound from the engine bay for about 5 to 10 seconds. Is this the sound you're talking about? Based on comments here, it's associated with the DEF system? Nothing to worry about it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread